Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wil the "Simple" iPod adapter (PXDP) cause abnormal battery drain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 PM
rickko
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will the "Simple" iPod/iPhone adapter (PXDP) cause battery drain. TEST RESULTS

Here's what I found out during a month long experiment.

My vette is a total garage queen. It gets driven about 3 or 4 times a month but because of a recent personal physical injury, it's pretty much sat connected to a Battery Tender since Thanksgiving.

During its off-the-road hiatus I bought an iPod adapter from a forum vendor and coincidently bought a new Delco replacement battery for the Vette ('04) about the same time. The iPod adapter (Simple PXDP) plugged into the CD harness in the back of the Vette.

Over a period of a month I thought I'd do an experiment to see if the new iPod adapter had any affect on draining the battery. Here's what happened.

For the 1st week of the test I kept the CD player connected to the freshly charged new battery and checked the voltage 3 times a day for 7 days. The battery lost a shade over .3 volts during the 7 day period. It went from 12.60v to 12.27v in one week.

Then I recharged the battery with a Tender until the green light was solid. I waited for the battery to settle at 12.6v after disconnecting the Tender.

Next I connected the new iPod adapter. In the next 7 days the battery lost +.5 volts; going from 12.60v to 12.13v. The rate of degradation was about 1v per two weeks. It discharged about twice as fast as it did without the adapter plugged in.

Lastly I recharged the battery back to 12.6v and disconnected the iPod adapter again for another week. The battery reacted the same as the 1st test, losing only about .3v in the next 7 days.

Overall the adapter doubled the rate of drain on the new battery.

I know this wasn't a real scientific study but it was enough to convince me that if I kept my iPod adapter plugged into the 12-disc CD changer and left the Vette parked for an extended period of time, even with a new battery, my battery would probably not start the Vette after only 30 days of storage unless I kept a trickle charger on the battery.

FYI: Besides the Vette I have a '97 Caddy STS with a factory-installed Delco 12-disc changer like what is in the Vette. It's my daily driver. I decided because its my DD to remove the iPod adapter from the Vette and install it in the Caddy. It was a perfect plug-to-plug match even though the changer is 7 years older than the one in the Vette! It works great.

..rickko..
PS. I never plugged my iPod in while testing the adapter. The PXDP was the only thing plugged in during the test.

Last edited by rickko; 04-02-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:40 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's very interesting... I've been unplugging my iPod.

I do hook up my tender a couple times a week.

How about doing another test with the iPod plugged in....
Old 04-02-2011, 01:57 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I cannot buy that the issue is the iPod adapter.

Consider for a moment that there cannot be voltage drain unless the radio it on - just as the charger cannot.

FWIW - I had iPod adapters in both Verts for years. Mine are seldom driven, and granted most times while in the garage they are connected to Battery Tenders.

One summer we went to one of our ranches the week following a large venue car show in which we participated.

We were absent for just under 21 days (I think we returned on the night of the 20th day).

Saturday was the next day, and we were attending another show.

Both Verts started - with no difference noticeable in 'cranking power'.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with Rickko. Happened to me. I-pod adapter will drain the battery even when the I-pod is not connected. If you drive every day you will not notice. Let it set for a week and your battery may be too low to start the car.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Big Duk
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i plug my ipod in it says no charging ability w/ this harness so i dont see how it could be drawing w/o radio on.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Duk
when i plug my ipod in it says no charging ability w/ this harness so i dont see how it could be drawing w/o radio on.
They have an updated connector that will charge your iPod. I think I paid $25 for it.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:19 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put an amp meter in line between the negative cable and the negative post of the battery. Let the car go to sleep and note the amperage being drawn from the battery.

Disconnect your I-pod to car. Close everything so no lights are on and give the car time to go to sleep. Note the amperage draw.

If the amps noted are different then the adapter is drawing current from the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Wil the "Simple" iPod adapter (PXDP) cause abnormal battery drain?

Quick Reply: Wil the "Simple" iPod adapter (PXDP) cause abnormal battery drain?