C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Pull Key-Wait 10 Seconds" every time

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Friscojim
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chassed
agreed I have to do the brown wire mod my self. soon LOL
I watched a video on installing the the lmc5 and there is no mention of a brown wire - the first clip is orang and purple wires and the last clip has a green wire - I just had this happen on my 2001 6sp last night - column locked and I could start it but the column stayed locked - went out in the other car and several hours later came home and tried it - started up like nothing was wrong and I could pull it in the garage, I have no idea what was done on it prior as I just bought 3 days ago
So what is the brown wire fix? Planning on calling them tomorrow to order one
Old 08-04-2017, 04:58 PM
sparky38
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed the lmc5 2 years ago. stopped the colunm lock but got the pull key BS. and been ignoring trying to fix it. The brown wire fixed the issue. Feeling better about the car. Dislike the Gremlins this car has but love driving it! 02 Z.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:25 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by Hydroracer
I installed the LMC5 kit on my 00 FRC this past weekend to bypass all the column lock BS and I have no more issues . I highly recommend !
Same story for me!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:06 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

You forgot LOL, IMHO and WTHDIDN... Last one is What the hell do I do now?

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Soofrsh, I feel your pain on the acronyms. That is why I have been keeping a list of them (updated as new ones appear) that are frequently used on the forum. Here they are: The comments may not be exactly right for the purist but are good for me

ASR
Acceleration Slip Regulation. AKA, Traction Control.

BCM
Body Control Module. It is a computer that controls or interfaces with all the body functions and communicates with all the other modules/computers in the car. BCM is one of the 11 DTC-sections.

CEL
Check Engine Light with engine symbol and Check below. Usually refers to emission related issues.

CLB
Column Lock Bypass
Device for preventing column lock.

DIC
Driver Information Centre. It's the small screen behind the steering wheel that says "Corvette... by Chevrolet" and that shows you what's wrong, if anything.

DCM
Door Control Module. Controls the locks and windows. Can be repaired.

DRL's
Daytime running lights. An in-between to not having lights on at all and popping up your regular lights.

DTC
Diagnostic Trouble Code. To fetch them, turn your car's key to 'on', reset all DIC messages by hitting button #6, then hold button #4 and hit button #1 four times. Now you can write down the DTC's, if present.

EBTCM
Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module. This is a module or computer, 1997-1998 situated underneath the trunk of the car, after that in the engine compartment, that governs ABS as well as traction control. Thanks @LoneStarFRC for the correction.

ESC
Electronic Suspension Control. It's a module that does as its name suggests.

FOB
Actually this is not an abbreviation but it may still be good to have in this list. A key fob is the little transmitter / receiver that you use to open / close the car, set the alarm etc.

FRC
Fixed roof coupe, this being the hardtop version of a C5. The abbreviation also stands for 'fuel rail cover' and, as if we could forget, also for 'Flying Roof Club'. You'll become a member automatically upon having your coupe roof fly through the air due to it not being fastened. Thanks @ronwc for this contribution.

HUD
Head-up display. Option available as of late '99. The car's speed and other variables are projected on your windshield. To install, see here.

HVAC
Heater, Ventilator, Airconditioning. If you have a HVAC-code, it has something to do with either your heater, ventilator or airco. HVAC is one of the 11 DTC-sections.

IAT
Intake Air Temp (sensor). If sensor is defective, will show active handling warm up on DTC and may not pass emissions.

IPC
Instrument Panel Cluster. It contains all instruments and the DIC. IPC is one of 11 DTC-sections.

LTFT
Long Term Fuel Trims

LMC5
An aftermarket module that, once installed, fixes or prevents column lock failures.

LDCM
Left door control module. This is the module or computer that controls everything related to the left door. LDCM is one of 11 DTC-sections.

MAF
Mass Air Flow. A sensor that tells the computer in your car info about airflow prior to entering the throttle body. It is the device between the air filter housing and the flat tube that connects to the engine at the throttle body. It has a wiring connection that runs back to the engine. A check engine light may occur if the MAF screen is dirty. If dirty, the MAF needs to be pulled and the screen should be cleaned by spray. Codes and P0171 H P0174 H are Lean banks 1 and 2. MOST likely cause of these two codes together is an air leak after the MAF.

Check the air plumbing between the MAF and TB for loose clamps, cracks in the rubber couplings etc

Also check out the hoses for the PCV system. Over time they rot and also allow unmetered air into the system which causes the lean codes on both banks..

MIL
Malfunction Interior Light

OBDII
On-Board Diagnostics II. System to read and diagnose DTC's. To connect to a C5's OBDII, you need to connect a Tech II (or another type of) scanner to the car's OBDII-port. The connector is located underneath the IPC.

OEM
Original Equipment Manufacturer. If someone tells you to buy OEM parts, he means original GM stuff made specifically for your C5.

PCM
Powertrain Control Module. It is the computer that controls the engine. It is designed to maintain exhaust emission levels while maintaining drivability and fuel efficiency. Functions: fuel control, ignition control, knock sensor system, automatic transmission shift functions, certain manual transmission parts, cruise control enable, generator, evaporate emission purge, air-conditioning clutch control, cooling fan control and secondary air injection. PCM is one of 11 DTC-sections.

RDCM
Right door control module. This is the module or computer that controls everything related to the right door. RDCM is one of 11 DTC-sections.

RFA
Remote function actuation. This module controls the receipt of FOB signals. RFA is one of 11 DTC-sections.

RPO
Regular Production Option. Check your Corvette's factory-built options in the left storing space lid in the back of your C5.

RTD
Real-time damping. This was an RPO for C5's that served to enhance suspension (special shock absorbers, sensors and a console mounted selector with choices of Tour, Sport and Performance.

SCM
Seat control module. It is a module or computer that controls the driver seat. SCM is one of 11 DTC-sections.

SDM
Airbag Control Module

SWPS
Steering Wheel Position Sensor.

TCS
Traction Control System. This system, based on the same principles as ABS but used vice-versa, improves traction of the wheels. TCS is one of 11 DTC-sections.

TDR
THEFT DETERRENT RELAY! (TDR) Look in the passengers foot well... Remove the toe board that covers the fuse panel/BCM. On the fire wall, above the BCM will be some relays. Different numbers for different years.

The relay with FOUR WIRES is the TDR. The wire colors are: Purple, Red, Yellow and Yellow Black Stripe.

TPMS
Tire pressure monitoring system. This module checks whether your tires have correct pressure. If an error is encountered, you'll see a warning in the DIC.

WTB
Want To Buy

Z51
A Corvette with special performance and handling package.
The following users liked this post:
JDMricist_03 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 12:37 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to make sure I got this right. The LMC5 only fixes or prevents column lock failures but doesn't fix the "Pull key, wait 10 seconds" correct?

Last edited by JDMricist_03; 11-07-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:02 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,215 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMricist_03
I want to make sure I got this right. The LMC5 only fixes or prevents column lock failures but doesn't fix the "Pull key, wait 10 seconds" correct?
The LMC5 should do both especially if you completed the "brown wire" step.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:14 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMricist_03
I know this will sound odd but I'll relay my experience with the column lock message. After my '99 locked up about 4 years ago I had the LMC5 installed. That unlocked the column, a problem that has not occurred again. However, I do still get the pull key and wait 10 seconds message once in a while. I have noticed that this only happens when I turn the key on and immediately hit the starter. If I wait for the gauges to make their initial sweep and settle all the way back down before engaging the starter I never get the pull key and wait 10 seconds message. I cant explain why it works that way but it is no fluke, has happened a number of times when I forget to let the gauges make that initial sweep and settle all the way back before engaging the starter. It seems to be a mystery!
Old 11-07-2020, 08:33 AM
tikiman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Having read the entirety of this old thread, here's what is happening with my car. I performed the LMC5 mod a very long time ago. Perhaps 15 years ago or so. The mod seemed to work, so after a few months went by I threw out the instructions for the kit. Problem began resurfacing about 5 years ago. My car is garaged and can sit for weeks at a time without going out so I assumed low voltage from the battery. I bought a smart trickle charger and now plug it into the vehicle's cigarette lighter when I bring it home and put it away. This has helped considerably. I only get the pull key message now if the car has been unplugged for a while.

Can't remember any brown wire mod coming with my LMC5. Perhaps I purchased my kit before the brown wire mod came about? My car is a '99. I would love to hear more about this brown wire mod. Perhaps it is something that I can still perform?
Old 11-07-2020, 09:13 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by tikiman
Having read the entirety of this old thread, here's what is happening with my car. I performed the LMC5 mod a very long time ago. Perhaps 15 years ago or so. The mod seemed to work, so after a few months went by I threw out the instructions for the kit. Problem began resurfacing about 5 years ago. My car is garaged and can sit for weeks at a time without going out so I assumed low voltage from the battery. I bought a smart trickle charger and now plug it into the vehicle's cigarette lighter when I bring it home and put it away. This has helped considerably. I only get the pull key message now if the car has been unplugged for a while.

Can't remember any brown wire mod coming with my LMC5. Perhaps I purchased my kit before the brown wire mod came about? My car is a '99. I would love to hear more about this brown wire mod. Perhaps it is something that I can still perform?
There is a brown wire within the LMC5 package and you don't use it unless you continue to have a problem as I remember. I had to go back after I continued to have the message and install it. Richard from Compliance Eng. who designed the LMC5 could answer you question for sure.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:04 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by tikiman

15yrs ago the LMC5 did not have the brown wire mod

Last edited by Smoken1; 11-07-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:14 PM
tikiman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Smoken1
15yrs ago the LMC5 did not have the brown wire mod

So, is the solution to buy another LMC5 mod and replace my older LMC5 with it?
Old 11-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Call Richard and see what he can do for you
Old 11-07-2020, 02:43 PM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoken1
Call Richard and see what he can do for you

I have tried to get in touch with him through both of the e-mails and nothing in return and this has been 2mos ago. I haven't tried calling yet.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:48 PM
ibrockn
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
There is a brown wire within the LMC5 package and you don't use it unless you continue to have a problem as I remember. I had to go back after I continued to have the message and install it. Richard from Compliance Eng. who designed the LMC5 could answer you question for sure.
This is exactly what I did.
My car's a '99 as well. I installed the LMC5 a few months ago and still got the "wait" message. I talked to Richard and performed the brown wire install and haven't had a single issue since.
bjones7131 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 02:50 PM
ibrockn
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

I do also keep a battery tender connected most of the time it's sitting in the garage.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:54 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by DA1984VETTE
I have tried to get in touch with him through both of the e-mails and nothing in return and this has been 2mos ago. I haven't tried calling yet.
If the column doesn't lock and just the message popping up, I would give gauges time to sweep as mentioned and see if that helps and wouldn't redo the LMC5 , just my opinion.
DA1984VETTE (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DA1984VETTE
Call him he does answer the phone.. (855) 565-8388

Get notified of new replies

To "Pull Key-Wait 10 Seconds" every time

Old 11-07-2020, 10:56 PM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
The LMC5 should do both especially if you completed the "brown wire" step.
Great, that's what I was hoping. Thanks!

Originally Posted by friou
I know this will sound odd but I'll relay my experience with the column lock message. After my '99 locked up about 4 years ago I had the LMC5 installed. That unlocked the column, a problem that has not occurred again. However, I do still get the pull key and wait 10 seconds message once in a while. I have noticed that this only happens when I turn the key on and immediately hit the starter. If I wait for the gauges to make their initial sweep and settle all the way back down before engaging the starter I never get the pull key and wait 10 seconds message. I cant explain why it works that way but it is no fluke, has happened a number of times when I forget to let the gauges make that initial sweep and settle all the way back before engaging the starter. It seems to be a mystery!
Thanks for sharing that, I had the same experience with my '03 Z06. I got the car with LMC5 already installed and it would only give me the pull key message like a couple times a month unless I start after the gages do their calibration sweep. The '02 Vette I just picked up is giving me the pull key message almost every time I try to start whether I wait for the gauge calibration sweep to finish so it's good to know that the LMC5 will fix it most of the time. It doesn't bother me if it happens every once in a while but when it happens every time I start the car and I have to explain to whoever is with me why I had to turn the car off and back on again which is annoying as heck then that is when it bothers me.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,278 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:14 AM
BT1991
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts

I installed a LMC5 this summer in my 02. As soon as I got it back together I also had the column locked up. You will have to take the LMC5 out, go into the fuse panel under the hood and remove fuse 23 I believe, if my memory serves. Then go back and reinstall the LMC5 and you won't have anymore issues with the column locked or the wait 10 on the DIC. This option has 1 issue though, now my column doesn't lock at all... ever... It's no big deal for me though. Mine is a M6. I got this info straight from Richard when I called him, he was a great help over the phone.

Quick Reply: "Pull Key-Wait 10 Seconds" every time