[Z06] Finned rear valance

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 PM
BumbleZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is that Camzilla?

Originally Posted by RC45
Since when are Corvettes required to be subtle??

And my car is pretty much bone stock...
Is your ride the Camzilla on Youtube?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 AM
BumbleZ
Instructor

Other than the gutted interior carpet, Sparco seats and quick release steering wheel, C5R delrin shift ****, 5 point harnesses, beefed up transmission, C6Z06 brake calipers with light weight 2 piece rotors, Pfadt coil-over suspension, carbon fibre heat extractor hood, ventilated inner front fenders, full undertray front splitter & 60" wide wing, front gurney flaps, 12" wide rear wheels, flared rear fenders, front and rear hard mount tow-hooks, hard-mounted telemetry system and 660bhp 427ci LS7, the car is completely stock - right down to the original Bose CD player
What's a Gurney Flap?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,228 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by BumbleZ
What's a Gurney Flap?
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=gurney+flap
Old 04-25-2011, 12:42 AM
BumbleZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Thank you....
Old 04-25-2011, 03:40 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your ride the Camzilla on Youtube?
Guilty as charged...

What's a Gurney Flap?
Tradtitionally seen on the trailing edge of horizontal stabilizers, I was pointed towards the same device applied to the outside front leading edge of the wheel wells to quell the air pilin gup around the front wheels.

Appears to aid in allowing the air to be vacated fom the fenderwells, indirectly assisting in brake cooling.

The Gurney Flaps

The vents at the rear of the front fender wells

Vents on the top of the inner front fender wells and heat extractor hood allow air to flow out of the engine bay rather than piling up under the hood contributing to front end lift.

All geared towards getting the air to flow through the fenderwells, not pile up and cause havoc by either negating the brake cooling duct fed air or contibuting to frontal lift.

The full undertray that stretches from the splitter all the way to the leading edge of the front wheels. This is what contributes to the front downforce, the wing out back is to counter act the loss of rear downforce (which is already of a positive number on the C5) with the hefty front splitter. One doesnt want to get all loose and squirrely due to over-zealous front DF and no rear DF. I may upgrade the flat undertray to a ducted undertray in the future.

Now on to the OP's quest for a diffuser:

I did discuss with both the wing builder and the splitter supplier as well as a few C5 race teams about any value of a rear diffuser.

All indicated that without an extensive undertray at the rear and if not close the ground would really be of no use.

Perhaps someone should come up with a low profile OEM looking diffuser for the C5 for street applciaiotns - something that at least has visual cues - afterall, many current sports cars have semi-functional diffusers out back and dont look too bad on the street.

Last edited by RC45; 04-25-2011 at 03:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
a_ahmed (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
BumbleZ
Instructor

Guilty as charged...
Cool. Let me give you a retro-active thank you. Before I bought my Z06, I was watching Youtube videos for a couple of years trying to decide which kind of vette to buy. I spent many treadmill sessions at the gym watching Camzilla videos, so you have also helped me keep my beer gut in check

I really found those heat extractor hood test videos interesting.

Anyway to measure or quantify the benefits of those Gurney Flaps on your wheel wells?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finned rear valance