Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 C5 - 6speed - shifter extremely tight

Old 04-24-2011, 05:06 PM
About2Bite
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1999 C5 - 6speed - shifter extremely tight

I purchased the car aout 8 months ago and when I got it the shifter was super tight going into any gear and near to impossible to get into resverse. The previous owner had a new clutch installed but that's it.

I replaced the shifter with an MGW and no luck.

Typically it goes into gear ok, sometimes it won't fully go into 1st but if I let off the clutch a little and push it in it goes all the way. Reverse is a PITA to get past the reverse lock out solenoid, but once past that it usually goes into reverse fine. Sometimes the same thing with letting the clutch pedal out while pushing the shifter into gear gets it in all the way in reverse if it's not cooperating.

Any ideas? Could this be a result of the clutch install.

The shifter is very difficult to push left or right when in neutral and sometimes it will stick to one of the sides with in neutral unless I give it a little tap to go back to center.

I'm not familiar with these transmissions and clutch setups so I don't really know what the problem is.

Any ideas?

So far I've tried aligning the shifter and replacing it with a new one. That's all I've done to try to fix the problem.

Thanks

Josh
Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 PM
1 C6 2NV
Myth Buster
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh, did you use the indexing pin before tightening down the shifter? Its the L shaped pin that locks the trans in neutral thus allowing you to get the shifter adjusted correctly. Typically removing the shifter to do a clutch is the norm. Ive never seen any reason to remove the shift shaft from the trans itself. Id try removing the shifter and find absolute neutral with that pin then tighten down the shifter. Dont forget to pull the pin up when you done or you wont be able to shift it at all. Also some aftermarket shifters will have the ability to adjust the detent static. Its the resistance you feel when moving side to side gates. My hurst has two set screws to adjust that static
Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 PM
About2Bite
Racer

Yes, that was the first thing I did. I I've actually done it a coulpe times just to make sure I had it perfectly aligned.

Anything else it could be?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you been changing out the clutch fluid to make sure that its clear & clean?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM
About2Bite
Racer

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Have you been changing out the clutch fluid to make sure that its clear & clean?
Yep, have changed it out probably close to a dozen times, but it's still not looking clear. Could this be causing the shifter to feel tight?

When I first got the car it was actually empty.

It hasn't gotten any less tight after changing it out quite a few times.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Boulty1961
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh, try a transmission oil change. This one thing helps shifting more than you think in many cases.
Dextron III ATF (automatic transmission fluid for your MN6 six speed manual transmission)
Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 PM
About2Bite
Racer

Ah I guess I didn't list as much as I have done on the initial post.

I replace the tansmission fluid the week I purchased the car, it helped none. I think that covers everything I have done to fix the problem.

I just can't figure out what else would make the shifter so stiff. I mean it's ridiculous how stiff it is, it doesn't want to move at all. It feels like I'm trying to move it through tar.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:56 AM
About2Bite
Racer

Any other ideas on what could cause the shifter to be so tight? Is this something I'll probably have to take to a shop to look at? I think I've attempted all the "simple" fixes.

Replaced transmission fluid - Did not help
Replaced clutch fluid (multiple times) - Did not help (Although it was empty when I bought the car)
Replaced shifter - Did not help
Aligned shifter - Did not help

Based on the fact that it is stiff regardless of whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged I'd say it has to do with the linkage going to the transmission or something internally in the transmission, but I just can't see what it may be.

I wouldn't think a synchro issue would effect the shifter in neutral. It's really tight regardless of it being in gear or not.

Sorry for the long rant, I can deal with the problem I just would rather figure it out and get it fixed.

Thanks again,

Josh
Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 PM
flcpl4fn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to something you may want to try. I had to do it to my 99 coupe when i put a short-throw shifter in it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...venom-mod.html
Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 AM
About2Bite
Racer

Originally Posted by flcpl4fn
Here is a link to something you may want to try. I had to do it to my 99 coupe when i put a short-throw shifter in it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...venom-mod.html
It looks like it isn't supposed to help with the side to side movement of the shifter. It only makes it easier to go from one gear to the next.
I have no problem shifting, the shifter just won't move left or right when in neutral without a ridiculous amount of force.
Did you notice the shifter moving left to right when in neutral to be easier after the mod?
Thanks for the link I might as well give it a shot when I install my exhaust since I'll be around it anyways.

Thanks for the info

Last edited by About2Bite; 05-11-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try pumping the clutch pedal about 10 times and see if it goes into gear easier.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
INaband
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Call this forum vendor & see if they have an idea..tranny clutch experts:

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/contact.html
Old 05-11-2011, 02:33 PM
2003Torch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
I would try pumping the clutch pedal about 10 times and see if it goes into gear easier.
And if this helps you may be getting air in there from a small leak. You had mentioned the clutch fluid was very low or empty when you got it? If you’re sucking air from somewhere and loosing fluid the clutch may not be fully disengaging when you press the pedal.

Or perhaps you have pressure plate that is slightly loose causing the clutch to not fully disengage.

If either of these situations is present you may be able to tell if you fully depress the clutch, car in first gear on flat pavement and rev the motor. If you move even slightly then there you go.

You didn't mention if the master is stock and where the clutch pedal is engaging. If still stock master the pedal should self adjust to the engage a few inches from the top. If not another clue. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Mark
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
About2Bite
Racer

My main problem is the clutch not going to the left or right when in neutral. It takes a lot of force to move it. Any ideas on that?

I replace the fluid last night but it seems like pumping the pedal does nothing. I literally pumped it over 100x and it still didn't circulate the dirty fluid up. I'm sure in a couple weeks it'll be black again.

Anyone know how much fluid the car takes? Meaning if it were completely empty how many ounces it would need?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Lube the linkage?

The reason I ask is mine was tight and stiff when shifting driving me insane....wd-40 solved all of it.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 PM
About2Bite
Racer

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Lube the linkage?

The reason I ask is mine was tight and stiff when shifting driving me insane....wd-40 solved all of it.
Yeah it is, it's near to impossible to get the shifter far enough left to go into first.

How did you go about this?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

It seems like you've done most things you can do, but I've thought of something else which would affect the side to side movement. In the shifter box when you remove the shifter assembly you can see that there are bushings that the shift rod rides in and pivots sideways in. I've never heard anyone on the forum mentioning having these wear out but I guess anything is possible. As a matter of fact, I believe when you purchase a B&M shifter it comes with replacements for these bushings. When you've had your shifters out of the shifter box they should also feel fairly loose to move around until mounted into the linkage.

Get notified of new replies

To 1999 C5 - 6speed - shifter extremely tight

Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Funny I read this thread and can't help thinking how sloppy my 6spd Shifter is on my '99 Coupe. Actually I wish it was a little tighter. I have to say I wouldn't even think of slamming gears like I use to do with a 4 spd Muncie in my C2 and C3 Vettes and other cars I owned over the years. I don't trust my factory shifter in the C5. By the way what type of fluid is used for the Clutch set up on a C5? In the mean time right from here I am going to check my owners manual and check my fluid tomorrow. I could of swore it was Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid that I read somewhere at some point if I remember correctly but I don't trust my memory. Haven't looked at the clutch fluid since I picked up the car last August but I haven't put much mileage on the car either since then. Based on what I have been reading here plenty on this forum I better put a turkey baster to it and suck some out and put new fluid in if it looks dirty I would think.

Add on. I just check my owners manual I have on my PC and I guess my memory served me well. Dot 3 Brake Fluid is the correct fluid for my '99.

Last edited by ffas23; 05-13-2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Found My Answer
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 PM
About2Bite
Racer

DOT 4 will work as well
Old 05-13-2011, 06:06 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a C6 shifter in. Smooth as butter.

Search this Thread