Sponsored by:

Just finished my Radio Bezel Carbon Fiber 3M Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 PM
wascapsfan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like crap!! Sell it to me!!!

Just kidding. It looks beautiful. How much time do you have invested in the project??

Simply sensational!!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:50 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Does this stuff come in large sheets or what?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 PM
98am
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Job well done
Old 05-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Does this stuff come in large sheets or what?
yeah. Big enough to cover the top of cars in one sheet. Check out Metrorestyling.com
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Looks good, make sure you leave it sitting in the house in the AC!!

I just did mine, screwed the first one up, did the second time pretty well, but I did not use adhesive, b/c I heard that it will seperate from it as well, and then you have glue all over your console. Soooo, mine looked awesome, never took any pics, but looked like the ones above.
The FIRST day i drove the car, yesterday, it wasn't hot, 82, left the windows up for approx 2 hours while it was parked, and it seperated all over the place!!
Oh well, it looked great for a day!!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by cmb396
Looks good, make sure you leave it sitting in the house in the AC!!

I just did mine, screwed the first one up, did the second time pretty well, but I did not use adhesive, b/c I heard that it will seperate from it as well, and then you have glue all over your console. Soooo, mine looked awesome, never took any pics, but looked like the ones above.
The FIRST day i drove the car, yesterday, it wasn't hot, 82, left the windows up for approx 2 hours while it was parked, and it seperated all over the place!!
Oh well, it looked great for a day!!
Get some 3M 94 Primer. Use it all over the radio bezel, including the undersides where you wrap the vinyl around. It helps a lot. Also use "Seal-It" Pen for any edges that you cant wrap around.

Someone mentioned his pulling up after he worked on his. After I finished mine I put it, outside, in the trunk of my other car for a week. I wanted to make sure it was subjected to high heat for a long period of time. I didn't have any areas that pulled up at all.

The only other thing I can tell ya is try your best NOT to pull up the vinyl after you lay it down. I found on my first few tries I would pull it up and lay it back down several times and those areas where I did that it compromised the glue on the back and would not lay down properly.

If all else fails and you have a spot that you just cant seem to get to stay, use super glue. Just make damn sure you dont get it on your hands. I used a scrap piece of vinyl to lay over the area I used the super glue on to make sure I didnt have any contact with my hands at all. After 30-45 second peel off the scrap piece and you should be good.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Damn, that looks really good!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Razzputon
Pro

4th attempt. It went as well as could be expected. Not one issue. I think I finaly have the tecnique down using one solid piece of Carbon fiber Vinyl with no bubbles or pull-backs. The true test will be one week in the garage with the windows up. Feeling pretty good about it though.

I also did my door openers this time around. Also updates the first post with the pics below.

also, I didn't take pics this time around. I really wasnt sure how it would turn out and I wanted to stay totally focused on it. I ordered another sheet of Carbon fiber vinyl. I promise to do a DIy on that one.

NOTE: If anyone is interested in having their done send me a PM. Mine is already done. I dont think I'm going to tear it off this time around. Be glad to do someone elses. Just pay for the material. Send a PM if your interested

UPDATE:: 4th try.

door openers:

Last edited by Razzputon; 05-22-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 PM
KIWIBOB
Advanced

Just going to remove a bezel for replacement,can someone tell me where the clips and screws are please. Thanks Bob.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM
4U2ENVY
Burning Brakes

Location: Obama says I'm a bitter white guy clinging to my guns and religon and he's right

Looks like a lot of work. It looks like you bought it. Love doing DIY myself. Hats off to you.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by 4U2ENVY
It looks like you bought it.
That is about as good of a compliment as I could have asked for. Thank you.

That was my 4th try. I really dont want any DIY in my vette that would not look like it was done professionally. Not saying I'm all that but given enough time and tries every now and then I get lucky.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Razzputon
Pro

Well I took my Vette from Tuscaloosa AL to Macon GA for the week. It was sunny and hot all week. Left the car outside the whole time. No bubbles or pull ups at all my my radio bezel carbon fiber Vinyl wrap!

I did a little custom work on the ashtray area yesterday.

Grabbed my dremel drill and a marker and traced the area where my Sat Reciever would go. Cut away the area and a hole for the wires.

I also took out my lighter and replaced it with a toggle switch for my power antenna. I cut the pink line going to my power antenna and spliced the toggle switch into it. Now when I use my Sat reciever I leave the power antenna down and I dont get and noise pollution from radio stations in the 88.1-88.9 freq.

Best of all. I can close my ashtray and I look stock again.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:09 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

pm sent
Old 04-01-2016, 08:34 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Razz, that is really nice work! I did my Z in black perforated vinyl and it came out pretty good, but again, it was a first try. I'm probably going to do my rear console,armrest, dr. side knee panel and glove compartment with a Redline kit, but d like to finish the radio bezel in something other than stock. This is great inspiration. We're the door handles tough?

Quick Reply: Just finished my Radio Bezel Carbon Fiber 3M Vinyl