Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] No luck in finding a titanium welder in Dallas Fort Worth area.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No luck in finding a titanium welder in Dallas Fort Worth area.

I know this is a regional question, and apologies for posting here. I have tried performance shops, welders, and muffler shops. No one knows or wants to tackle welding stainless steel QTP electric exhaust cutouts to the after differential titanium Z06 pipes.

Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time for suggestions or referrals.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious....... most mount them on the H-pipe, before the flange for the titanium axle back portion.

Where are you planning on putting them? I don't recall seeing a straight section of pipe to fit them on the axle back section....

Old 07-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hattitude
Just curious....... most mount them on the H-pipe, before the flange for the titanium axle back portion.

Where are you planning on putting them? I don't recall seeing a straight section of pipe to fit them on the axle back section....

low profile QTP's, pointed slightly inward and down. There's a pic somewhere.

Really don't like the H-pipe in front of the diff. Even if down pipe addition angled down, no like.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds cool, never seen them there before.

Hope you can find a welder....
Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

First off, nobody is going to weld stainless to TI. You need to make a flange joint to bolt them in and have the flanges welded to the TI.

You aren't going to find a local muffler shop that can do it, but look for an aerospace fabrication house. There have to be tons of them in the DFW area, Bell helicopter and Lockheed have factories in the DFW area and there are plenty of subcontractors that regularly weld TI down there.

Take off the mufflers, get all the parts fitted and clamped (and the holes ground) and ready for welding. If all they have to do is flood it with argon and weld it it won't cost much. If you want them to do everything it will cost you a fortune.

Some shops have insurance the precludes them from working on cars, for any reason. They don't want to get sued if the weld fails and you get gassed out. I have to do drawings and have some parts I have made with funny names on the prints so that it doesn't look like a car part. If the thing is all set up and clamped some will do it with a wink and a nod

Last edited by Solofast; 07-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To No luck in finding a titanium welder in Dallas Fort Worth area.

Quick Reply: [Z06] No luck in finding a titanium welder in Dallas Fort Worth area.