Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Stage 2 Clutch install, and 6 Speed rebuild.... First Impressions !

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Monster Stage 2 Clutch install, and 6 Speed rebuild.... First Impressions !

Guys:

I have a 2004 Z06 modified with heads/cam/longtubes etc...450rwhp/430rwtq.

I had the 3-4 Syncro starting to go out on my 6 speed. Every so often it would grind on a 3-4 shift.... GM put in Aluminum syncro's that bend rather easy....

My tuner told me that he has been rebuilding 6 speeds for years on these cars with all RPM hardware, and could do it for much less than ordering an RPM prepared 6 speed.

My Tuner is Sean, at True Street Motorsports in McKinney Texas.

After giving it some thought and speaking with Sean I decided to change out my stock LS6 clutch because everything was apart anyways. I was also having the "sticky" clutch issue that the Ranger method could not cure. I wanted to fix my clutch issue and the 6 speed at the same time.

I did some research on here and spoke with some members and decided to go with a Monster Stage 2 clutch with the Monster light weight flywheel (18lbs vs 28lbs). This clutch can hold up to 550rwhp. Should be great for my 450rwhp... and I have some room to grow if I add more HP.

I was thinking of going with the LS7 clutch setup but the fact that it was heavier than my stock LS6 clutch turned me off. The Monster Stage 2 with the light weight flywheel setup was even lighter than my stock LS6 clutch. Making the drive line lighter is always good for putting more power to the rear wheels...

LS7 Clutch setup = 60lbs
LS6 Clutch setup = 50lbs
Monster Stage 2 with Lt weight flywheel = 42.5 lbs.

Once I got everything installed I first noticed that the new clutch engaged really close to the floor. I almost stalled it a few times pulling out of the shop.. It only took me about 5 miles to get used to it though. After 200 miles it now engages about half way up. I'm really liking the engagement point of the clutch now. I can row thru the gears faster now. The clutch pedal "feel" is no different than stock. The Monster web site says its 8% heavier than stock. I don't think its heavier at all though. It feels amazing !

Some say you have to give the throttle more gas when leaving a light due to the lighter flywheel. I'm not really noticing that at all I don't think. If I do have to give it more gas at a light I'm really not noticing it at all. It feels just like stock to me.

I can already feel the clutch assembly is lighter than stock. The car pulls out of turns quicker now, and pulls harder overall. I'm really loving that feeling !

I also installed the clutch remote bleeder. After 200 miles the clutch fluid was quite black. I bled it completely with new stuff today. I noticed that the level in the reservoir was down 1/2". I suspect some air finally worked its way out of the system. I got one of the hand pump MightyVac setups at Auto Zone ($30). Sure makes the bleeding process easier with the remote bleeder, and the MightyVac !

The 6 speed rebuild feels AMAZING ! RPM makes some good stuff, and Sean did a GREAT rebuild/install. He rebuilds a ton of these things ! It feels more mechanical now. No more syncro grinding !

I'm still in the break in period so I have not really got on it hard though. After about 300 or so more miles I will be able to tell how it really handles 450rwhp...

On a side note.... The guys from Monster are a stand up bunch of guys ! Very helpful and back there products very well after the sale ! Chris, Mike, and Steve are top notch !

Would I do the above mods again if I had to ? So far I would say YES absolutely !

Hope this helps someone doing the research on a new clutch....

Feel free to ask me any questions...

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 08-15-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 PM
GARB55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Toque..
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well written as usual bro

-Alex
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks guys !
Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I see one of these clutches in my not too distant future.

Mark, i wanna drive yours!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM
ubnpast
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows the chatter? I was looking into a new clutch and settled on an ACT twin and it has 0 chatter.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Hows the chatter? I was looking into a new clutch and settled on an ACT twin and it has 0 chatter.
No chatter on mine so far... I have just been driving it quite easy too. Slow off the line. Trying to break it in right.
The clutch "Slips" super nice when rolling from a stop light.

Toque
Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
I see one of these clutches in my not too distant future.

Mark, i wanna drive yours!
Sure... anytime my friend !

Toque
Old 08-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice review and glad things worked out well with the upgrades.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Nice review and glad things worked out well with the upgrades.
Thanks Jack !
Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Great info! I will be replacing my chatter-box RPS twin-disk with something more quiet and streetable, and I am about at the same power level as you (tad more). I have been thinking about the Monster Stage 2, and you helped me make up my mind.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Guys:

I got 400 miles on the clutch so far. That's a lot for me in 2 weeks

- The clutch still slips like stock from a light.
- The clutch still feels like stock pressure to engage/disengage.
- No chattering that I have experienced yet.
- Clutch still engages about 50% of pedal travel.

I need to check my clutch fluid again. Likely have to bleed out the black fluid again... I'll keep doing it every couple weeks until it stays clear.

I can really feel the lightness of the new clutch. Nothing like fixing your car, and getting a performance benefit from it too !

I'm getting closer to my 500 mile break in.
I hope the 110 F weather here in Dallas breaks soon so I can get some cold air into my car and do some tire ripping...

Toque
Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the LS6 clutch lighter than the one used with the LS1?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by m6 c5
Is the LS6 clutch lighter than the one used with the LS1?
I'm not 100% sure actually. I suspect it would be similar though.

Toque
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear! I'll keep this in mind if/when I need to upgrade my clutch. Thanks for the write up!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:56 PM
mcbevwiz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just talked to Chris yesterday. I think Steve one time. I have a post about my clutch. I needed to make a decision on who to use to replace my clutch. Chris responded. He knows corvettes. Clutches and all. I'm scheduled to have work done next week. Decided on the Monster L2.

110 degree temps in the Dallas area is brutal. It's Hot!!

Question:
How much did this cost you in McKinney?

Chris mentioned Headers or something.. I just said I just have stock. Did the extra's cost that much more?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by mcbevwiz
I just talked to Chris yesterday. I think Steve one time. I have a post about my clutch. I needed to make a decision on who to use to replace my clutch. Chris responded. He knows corvettes. Clutches and all. I'm scheduled to have work done next week. Decided on the Monster L2.

110 degree temps in the Dallas area is brutal. It's Hot!!

Question:
How much did this cost you in McKinney?

Chris mentioned Headers or something.. I just said I just have stock. Did the extra's cost that much more?
I had Sean in McKinney rebuild my transmission as well as install the new clutch. It was all priced into one. I'm not sure what it would have cost if it was just the clutch. Call Sean or Clint at True Street Motorsports in McKinney and ask then. Sean did a great job on mine. Very impressed.

BTW... Sean does GREAT tranny rebuilds with RPM hardware, at half the cost...

I don't think it was much extra to replace the Master, and install the remote bleeder. I would ask them about that too.

Are you going with the light weight flywheel ? I really like mine for sure. If you plan on drag racing I hear that the heavier flywheel is best. If your a weekend cruiser, or road course kinda guy then the lightweight flywheel is best. I went with the light weight flywheel, and I can feel the lighter assembly pulling out of turns. It feels nice.

Good luck on the install and let me know how it goes ! Love to hear if others feel the same I do with mine.

Toque

Get notified of new replies

To Monster Stage 2 Clutch install, and 6 Speed rebuild.... First Impressions !

Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 PM
mcbevwiz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
I had Sean in McKinney rebuild my transmission as well as install the new clutch. It was all priced into one. I'm not sure what it would have cost if it was just the clutch. Call Sean or Clint at True Street Motorsports in McKinney and ask then. Sean did a great job on mine. Very impressed.

BTW... Sean does GREAT tranny rebuilds with RPM hardware, at half the cost...

I don't think it was much extra to replace the Master, and install the remote bleeder. I would ask them about that too.

Are you going with the light weight flywheel ? I really like mine for sure. If you plan on drag racing I hear that the heavier flywheel is best. If your a weekend cruiser, or road course kinda guy then the lightweight flywheel is best. I went with the light weight flywheel, and I can feel the lighter assembly pulling out of turns. It feels nice.

Good luck on the install and let me know how it goes ! Love to hear if others feel the same I do with mine.

Toque

I'm going with the light weight flywheel. I want call. I was just curious. Chris with SNL sounds reasonable and definitely knowledgeable on corvettes. I will let you know.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Ok... so I crossed 500 miles on my new clutch tonight.

Man does this car pull hard now ! I can feel it pulls harder than before. Not a lot, but its noticeable out of a turn for sure. I can't wait till it cools down here in Dallas. It was still 95F here at midnight...

Couple other things that I am noticing...

- Before the clutch install I could really feel the engine "sag" when I turned on the AC. The clutch would engage differently at a start and in between gears too. With the driveline lighter I'm noting that the clutch engagement is not that much different with the AC on or off. You might think that this is all in my head but I know I can feel a difference. It was a very unexpected change for the better that I am happy to have observed !

- When moving my car around in my garage at very low RPM I can feel a very slight vibration when I barely engage the clutch. It does not make a sound like chattering but I can feel it. I tried it tonight on the street moving from a light very slowly (idle rpm) and I also felt it. The next light I gave it a normal amount of gas and I did not feel the vibration. I'm guessing this is from the lighter flywheel, and its what people are saying that you need to give a lighter flywheel more gas to get going from a stop. I still don't find I give it any more gas than I used to before with the stock clutch. To feel the slight vibration you have to very slightly engage the clutch at about idle RPM. Once you rev it a little (like you do when normally pulling away from a stop) the vibration does not happen. I honestly think I will never feel this on the street. It took me a long while to even notice it. I should have turned off my AC to see if the vibration happens with the AC off too. I'll try that soon.

Hope my observations so far help you guys out !

Also.... The 6 speed rebuilt with all RPM hardware is amazing ! Its so precise ! I'm loving it !

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 08-28-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Chaplain
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Excellent info...as usual. I'll be jerking my junk out soon. I'm going to send my trans and diff back to RPM for a refresh. Your feedback will help me as I think about clutch options.

Thanks

Last edited by Chaplain; 11-19-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Change wording

Quick Reply: Monster Stage 2 Clutch install, and 6 Speed rebuild.... First Impressions !