C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can .... It really works..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Anyone use a double can setup? After I smog the car I think I'm going to ditch the single can setup for a dual can.
Maybe you can make your own small one instead of buying a second one. Your main one should catch the majority of mist and oil particles while the second one would catch anything else that gets by. You can possibly use a fuel filter type as they are small enough not to take up any room and can be placed in line with the outgoing hose of the main catch can...just a thought
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A double catch can, the first one is a catch can, the second is just a catch can with filter substance so only gas's pass to the intake. Yea, now if I could only find the room in my engine compartment for that second catch can. Try not to block the air flow on the PCV, it needs to flow to take out the extra pressure. Some engines I've seen just put a filter to the atmosphere, run a hose toward the ground (yea illegal, but so is the catch can in California).. Pray they don't stop in high water and suck up dirty street water into their engine...

Last edited by Jesse Asis; 07-04-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:27 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't believe the second can is to work in series with the first can. I believe it's supposed to be between the valve cover and the throttle body while the first can is between the valley and the intake manifold.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...s1-engine.html

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 09-05-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by STALION
Maybe you can make your own small one instead of buying a second one. Your main one should catch the majority of mist and oil particles while the second one would catch anything else that gets by. You can possibly use a fuel filter type as they are small enough not to take up any room and can be placed in line with the outgoing hose of the main catch can...just a thought
We sell tons with a double set up.

They can be run in series, but most use one for the pcv and one for the valve cover...

Peace
Chip

Old 09-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Sorry, been busy, drained my "Oil Catch Can" after 4 weeks of normal driving. It's shows that you don't have to be a street racer to have oil in your intake. It's amazing how much builds up just normal miles. Enjoy the Clean ride..
Name:  100_1353.jpg
Views: 4362
Size:  93.6 KB
Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
Sorry, been busy, drained my "Oil Catch Can" after 4 weeks of normal driving. It's shows that you don't have to be a street racer to have oil in your intake. It's amazing how much builds up just normal miles. Enjoy the Clean ride..
Wow, thats crazy! I'm surprised you get that much after 4 weeks. It takes me a whole summer of regular driving to get that amount
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every motor is different depending on how well the rings seated, if the valley cover baffel is separating and letting more in, and of course the bigger cube or FI builds create more blow-by and thus more usage and how hard or easy a car is driven.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM
CLEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Why do the cheap ones have the clear hose on the outside?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did my oil change last week. Had 8800 miles on my car with a lot of beating on the car. This is an Elite Engineering catch can. The can was about 1/3 full. I also retained the PCV while I know others do not which is why they get MORE oil in their catch can.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My next engine mod will be an intake manifold. The catch can will go on at the same time.

Seafoam the whole system first, then new plugs, oil, filter, etc.

Chip, I will be calling later this Fall. Just can't bring myself to quit driving her for now, even for one weekend!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 AM
The Bat Car
Pro

Originally Posted by CLEAR
Why do the cheap ones have the clear hose on the outside?
Most are a made in china liquid overflow container with just 2 fittings added. Look inside, most are just an empty container and not any type of oil separating device.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Even the less expensive ones work, the clear hose on the side is for you to have a visible of the build up as the oil moves up the catch can. The best is of course have some form of filter or exchanger for the hot oily gases to build up and separate the oil from the gases. But even the less expensive ones are better than the stock setup. Do your homework, purchase what fits your budget and just keep that oil out of your intake.. Enjoy the ride.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
The Bat Car
Pro

Your correct Jesse, even a empty beer can with 2 fittings in it will work and catch oil. The idea though is to prevent ANY oil ingestion as no good comes from even a small amount, and most of the cans that are cheap in price are no more than empty cans with 2 fittings.
And if you look inside the filter media cans you will see most have the outlet app. 1" from the filter media so as the droplets fall off of the media the smaller ones are pulled right through.

The other issue is the size. Many are far to small to allow for the flow to slow enough for the oil droplets to all fall out of suspension. Take a small tube and put a cap full of water into it and it only takes a little puff to blow it all out. Now take a hose the size of a garen hose and pout the same cap full of water in it and you will not be able to blow it out no matter how hard you try. Same principal.

There are several princiapls that come into play to effectively separate all the oil out of the vapors as they are pulled through a can and very few address these and that is why if you do the clear galss fuel filter pull-through test you will see just how well (or poorly) a specific can does actually work.

Again, ALL will catch some oil...even the beer can, but it is what gets through and still is ingested that determines how effective a given can is.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Catch can filter design is a balancing act (as are most designs in general). The airflow needs to be fast enough to "encourage" the oil droplets to impact the filter media, whereas too large a flow-through diameter of surrounding structure results in a velocity of gasses so low that the oil droplets are allowed to flow around the media.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Next time I will open my Catch Can, CC, take a picture of the internal and show you how I modified it to keep the oil from getting into my intake.. On paper I did this; Installed a 3" Stainless steel tube on the intake side going down from the top of the CC, inside that tube are steel mess, and the lower half of the tub has many cuts in the body so the oil can separate from the gases and drop to the bottom of the CC, and than the gases can go up to the output hole and get sucked into the intake. I made a mock up and it works pretty well. Here is my design on paper:

Name:  OilCatchCan.png
Views: 5961
Size:  27.5 KB

Last edited by Jesse Asis; 10-03-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Jesse,
according to the oil filtration experts I have spoken to, the filter media should be the last thing the blowby gasses "see" before exiting the structure. Having the oil droplets enter a sloshing, frothing reservoir before exiting the can is the opposite of when is idea, assuming the filter media is designed to trap oil effectively.

Ideally, the blowby gasses will first impact the inside wall of the reservoir to allow oil drainage by gravity. The gasses, which are then free of large droplets of oil should then exit through the media.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Dave68, correct you are, but also the can should also be located were colder air should help drop the temp. so the gas and oil can separate. I looked at several options and the wire mess at the output, to me, would allow oil gases to attach and droplets to build up and possible air flow may push droplets towards the output hold. I was even thinking of a duel can setup, but room is a factor. I've seen several different designs and some have a green mesh on the intake as well. This seems to work for me at this point. Thanks, your observations are spot on... Enjoy the oil free Ride...

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Catch Can .... It really works..

Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Dave68
Race Director

You are correct about keeping the catch can away from the main heat source, the engine. Yet so many catch can vendors advocate mounting the can to the cylinder head. Synthetic oil is tough to trap in the first place but keeping it hot just makes it easier to squirm by the filter media.

Dave
Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 AM
The Bat Car
Pro

Both are correct (good job jesse), but what we find with the "pull-through" test that when we installed a filter media near the outlet that as soon as it becomes saturated, it allows the smaller oil droplets to be pulled out the outlet and into the intake. Not alot mind you, but still noticeable.

Again, the size of the container and the design of the dispersion tubes and deflectors (baffles) we found to be the most critical. Get the flow slowed enogh to allow the condensed droplets to fall out of suspension, and make sure the vapors make as much contact with the outer cooling surfaces as possible.

The RX can uses a perforated dispersion tube where the perforations start in the condensing/collection chabmber, and the defection cylinder directs it all down and out allong the outer cooling surface where the disc baffle forces it to travel up the outside cooling surface as evenly as possible. It then has to enter the exit chamber where it has one more chance to cool & condense further before exiting the integrated flow controll checkvalve (as you guys mention above, the flow is critical. Not to fast and not to restricted).

Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Jet Moto
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Corvettmods.com sells one for $58 shipped. Comes with a clear container which makes it easy to check oil level. Someone wrote a positive review on this forum about the product.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can .... It really works..