C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can .... It really works..

Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The bottom line is that if you're the type of person who buys and sells a car every 5 years, then no, the cost of catch can would not benefit you (but it certainly ould benefit any future owners), but most of us do keep our cars longer. i've had my 01 for 11 years, now.

As far as catch can design, I've spent plenty f hours over the years, reading, fabricating, and testing various designs. This white paper summarizes what I've learned:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Air...yondBasics.pdf

Also, keep your catch can in a cool place. Oil (especially synthetic oil) is easier to "catch" if it is not hot. Hitting a cool surface allows the oil droplets to coalesce much more easily.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update, did an oil change in Feb. 2012, drained the "Oil Catch Can". My vette is driven normal with no racing, drained the can yesterday and still had about 1/2 full in a 2" wide plastic container. Again proof you don't need this system only if you track your vette. I looked into the intake and I'm oil free, no puddles no film, just a clean intake walls in the intake valleys and runners. Do yourself a favor and get an Oil Catch Can and help keep your ride clean of burning oil. Just doing my job to keep GREEN..
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
Update, did an oil change in Feb. 2012, drained the "Oil Catch Can". My vette is driven normal with no racing, drained the can yesterday and still had about 1/2 full in a 2" wide plastic container. Again proof you don't need this system only if you track your vette. I looked into the intake and I'm oil free, no puddles no film, just a clean intake walls in the intake valleys and runners. Do yourself a favor and get an Oil Catch Can and help keep your ride clean of burning oil. Just doing my job to keep GREEN..
The irony of that statement is that here in California it's illegal to run a catch can and will not pass visual inspection during smog checks.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

What if you have a completely stock unit that uses absolutely zero oil between changes? I have seen these catch cans for a while now and it seemed like they were usually used on forced induction cars, which I understand as FI is inherently going to produce much more positive crankcase pressure and therefore more oil vapor bypass.

Do I really need one, other than to have another nice chrome shiny under my hood?

DSTURBD

P.S. Sorry, I posted this after reading only the first page. I have subsequently read much further.

Last edited by DSTURBD; 06-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Dave68
Race Director

While you may think your engine is using no oil, moisture in the oil builds up over time and displaces oil that escapes out the exhaust, making it look like there was no loss.

SCM,

I remove my catch can before bringing my car in for its smog check.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
What if you have a completely stock unit that uses absolutely zero oil between changes? I have seen these catch cans for a while now and it seemed like they were usually used on forced induction cars, which I understand as FI is inherently going to produce much more positive crankcase pressure and therefore more oil vapor bypass.

Do I really need one, other than to have another nice chrome shiny under my hood?

DSTURBD

P.S. Sorry, I posted this after reading only the first page. I have subsequently read much further.
I'm not quite sure that an LS motor could actually use zero oil between oil changes unless you're changing your oil ever 500 miles. I drove my car about 1000 miles and checked the can when I first got it and there was certainly some oil in there. Stock or modified, an LSx consumes. I have a stock LS6. Only mods to my car performance wise are the LS7 exhaust manifolds and a Vararam.

Originally Posted by Dave68
While you may think your engine is using no oil, moisture in the oil builds up over time and displaces oil that escapes out the exhaust, making it look like there was no loss.

SCM,

I remove my catch can before bringing my car in for its smog check.
Me too. I pull the can off and still managed to pass visual even with the LS7 manifolds on and the air tubes off. LOL
Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Shouldn't this be visible when changing the oil then? I never see a water layer in my used oil, and I have no catch can and never notice any oil loss.

Also, with the temperatures that the oil reaches, any residual water should evaporate and be removed through the PCV system.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Every Vette needs one, stock, turbo, it doesn't matter if you have a PCV, you should install one to keep the OIL from entering your intake, you are still sucking the burnt oil vapors, but NOT THE OIL.

And yes, it only takes a few minutes to remove the Catch Can from the system every 2 years, (I live in Commifornia as well and know the laws). I haven't seen a Catch Can with a CARB sticker YET!, if you know of one, let us know here in this forum. If you're not sure, leave your stock setup, you have the right not to improve your vehicle. But if you are not sure, do your own research and you will see the Oil Catch Can is an improvement bar none.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

The vapor is the trick. Cool any vapor enough and it will liquefy. Once the vapor gets to the intake, it's instantly oil again. I'm sure it's oil by the time it reaches the PCV valve.

I don't think you'll EVER see an aftermarket catch can with a CARB sticker.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by onspeed
Shouldn't this be visible when changing the oil then? I never see a water layer in my used oil, and I have no catch can and never notice any oil loss.

Also, with the temperatures that the oil reaches, any residual water should evaporate and be removed through the PCV system.
Oil doesn't always reach a high enough temperature to boil off, especially when only short trips are made. You will not see a water layer in the oil but if you had it analyzed, you would see that water is present. In fact, you may also see fuel as well.

Believe me, all engines consume some oil.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Great interesting thread! In general, how difficult of an install is this and where do you actually fasten or secure the catch can in the engine bay?

I checked the cans offered by Elite Engineering and they are really well designed.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

The hose connection is very simple. It's a matter of pulling the hose from the intake and just putting the "Catch Can" between the PCV valve and the intake, then connecting the second line from the catch can to the intake... kinda like this..

Stock setup:
hose-----------PCV---------intake

Catch Can setup:
hose-----------PCV---------Catch Can----------Intake

Now the mounting of the Catch can, well that depends on what kind you buy and where do YOU have room to install it. Most install it on the passenger side of the fuel rail cover (look at my photo), some move it to the front where there is cooler air. It's up to you really.
My location:
Name:  100_0944.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  136.1 KB
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
The hose connection is very simple. It's a matter of pulling the hose from the intake and just putting the "Catch Can" between the PCV valve and the intake, then connecting the second line from the catch can to the intake... kinda like this..

Stock setup:
hose-----------PCV---------intake

Catch Can setup:
hose-----------PCV---------Catch Can----------Intake

Now the mounting of the Catch can, well that depends on what kind you buy and where do YOU have room to install it. Most install it on the passenger side of the fuel rail cover (look at my photo), some move it to the front where there is cooler air. It's up to you really.
My location:
Thanks. How did you attach it? Does it come with a brace or some kind of attachment frame?

Last edited by MSG C5; 06-30-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Here's how I attached my glass catch can:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Ins...20Corvette.pdf

As I think I mentioned, cooler is better when it comes to trapping oil droplets.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

MSG C5, mine had a hose clamp which I didn't care for as far as appearances. So I drilled and tapped two holes, installed a custom aluminum bracket that bolted to the block. Now this is custom mount no less. Depending on the type of Catch Can you get will depend on the mounting. The less expensive will have the Generatic hose clame. The CC designed FOR the C5 corvette may have a bracket welded to it and it will mount same as mine, or they also come with a attachable bracket. Good luck..

On Ebay enter "Catch Can for Corvette" this narrows your CC to ones that are designed for C5s...

Last edited by Jesse Asis; 07-04-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:47 AM
4drturbo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread, but same subject.
Anyone run one of these guys?

http://bwoodyperformance.com/product...products_id=34

Very simple clean design. Ran one on my Neon SRT-4 and it worked great. Pretty good price point too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can .... It really works..