Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can .... It really works..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can .... It really works..

During my installation of my CAI on my C5, I notices oil in my intake manifold area. So I purchased a "Oil Catch Can" on "fleabay" and installed that. Check it with normal driving in 4 weeks, 1/4 of a cup. That's oil that would be in my intake manifold..
Name:  100_0944.jpg
Views: 12715
Size:  136.1 KB
Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, they do work - nice to keep that oil out of the intake.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What happens if oil ends up in the manifold. Obviously it's not wanted there but, what exactly are the negatives?

-Alex
The following users liked this post:
pifo1964 (05-03-2018)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
What happens if oil ends up in the manifold. Obviously it's not wanted there but, what exactly are the negatives?

-Alex
From what I've read it just gets the intake messy (obviously) and anything that makes it into the engine just burns away, but doesn't do any kind of damage...or so I'm told.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Originally Posted by STALION
From what I've read it just gets the intake messy (obviously) and anything that makes it into the engine just burns away, but doesn't do any kind of damage...or so I'm told.
Heard the same thing. No engine damage to speak of. I think it was Toque who said after he installed one he noticed MUCH less oil deposits on the rear bumper though. That's reason enough for me to get one LOL. Tired of wiping it down every so often.

-Alex
The following users liked this post:
Leo001 (10-01-2021)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
1timtim1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any forum vendors sell them and how much are they?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
andy46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I understand why this is needed, where is the oil coming from, and how does it get into the catch can?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by 1timtim1
I bought this one from Cajun: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...atch-cans.html
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought this one...

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can_sale.html
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andy46
I'm not sure I understand why this is needed, where is the oil coming from, and how does it get into the catch can?
From the pcv system. The catch can goes in between that and the intake filtering out any oil from entering the intake manifold.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Quite a few. LG is the first one to come to mind though.

-Alex
Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Another: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...stock-cca.html
Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 PM
andy46
Racer

Originally Posted by Qwik01
From the pcv system. The catch can goes in between that and the intake filtering out any oil from entering the intake manifold.
I didn't think there was that much oil being sent through there to really require a catch can, is this a stop gap measure for too much oil blowing by the rings?
Does the catch can drain back to the oil pan or are you emptying it every so often?
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, just didn't think it was as much a needed requirement.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rjb6mt
If you want to know more about the catch-can, checkout the link that rjb6mt listed above it is a good one. it explains why there is oil getting out of the motor and why you need to catch it. its too long to list here.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

here's the gist off it, from elite engineering usa website i hope he doesnt mind.:

============================
Purpose of your Stock PCV System:

The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is designed to regulate and
remove fumes from the engine crankcase, and to alleviate crankcase pressure which
could cause oil leaks or seal damage. The PCV system routes crankcase fumes into
the intake manifold where they can be burned to eliminate harmful emissions into
the atmosphere. The PCV valve controls the amount of crankcase flow volume
depending on the engine's load. With large throttle openings (high engine loads),
the more blow-by gases are produced, and the more the PCV system flows oil vapor
in to the intake manifold. The PCV valve also functions as a check valve to prevent
intake manifold flow from reversing back into the crankcase when there is a
backfire, or during periods of high manifold pressure (boost) during forced induction
by turbocharger or supercharger.

Negative Effects of your Stock PCV System:
Many Corvette, Camaro, Firebird and GTO owners with LSX engines can
testify to the amount of oil residue that can accumulate inside the intake manifold,
throttle body, intake track and even the air filter during aggressive driving
conditions.

There are various negative effects when excess oil vapor contaminates the intake
system from the stock PCV system - such as:

*Throttle body and/or MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) malfunction or failure.

*Air filter, intercooler (if equipped) and intake ducting contamination if oil pools and run back out the intake system after engine shutdown.

*Reduced octane of the air/fuel mixture, which can cause detonation and the ECM (Engine Control Module) to retard timing, thereby reducing engine power.

*Excessive carbon build-up on valves, piston crowns, combustion chambers and spark plugs. This also increases the chance of detonation and power loss.

*Increased emissions & possible contamination of catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.

Bottom line: Excessive amounts of oil vapor in the intake manifold is detrimental to
your engine!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Thanks Steve-O, I was about to explain but you did a great write up.. Bottom line guys, it just traps the oil going into the intake, you have to drain the unit at least once a month, and if you push your vette, it builds up pretty fast. Now on prices, you can spend up to $19 to $149, or even make one up yourself. Go to "FleaBay" and type in "Oil Catch Can for Corvette", and pick your posion.. In my own words, you don't need to spend $100 on them, they are simple in design and as long as the oil has room to gather and drop to the bottom, it will be better than the stock setup.
Note: For you California folks, even they are better than stock, it is illegal to install, so you will have to return to stock every 2 years for the smog test. I found a place that understands what it is and over looks it.. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Catch Can .... It really works..

Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 AM
andy46
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
Thanks Steve-O, I was about to explain but you did a great write up.. Bottom line guys, it just traps the oil going into the intake, you have to drain the unit at least once a month, and if you push your vette, it builds up pretty fast. Now on prices, you can spend up to $19 to $149, or even make one up yourself. Go to "FleaBay" and type in "Oil Catch Can for Corvette", and pick your posion.. In my own words, you don't need to spend $100 on them, they are simple in design and as long as the oil has room to gather and drop to the bottom, it will be better than the stock setup.
Note: For you California folks, even they are better than stock, it is illegal to install, so you will have to return to stock every 2 years for the smog test. I found a place that understands what it is and over looks it.. Good luck
Seems odd it would be illegal to install, it clearly should be better for the emissions, not worse!
Only in California !!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Andy46, we have the most stupid laws in California, enough to make me think when I do retire, to leave it. I just may, but we will see. You are correct, it is a big improvement over stock, but what I found is that if the manufacturer of the Oil Catch Can has CARB research test it (at a cost) and it proves better, they would allow it and a CARB approved stamp can be applied. No one wants to spend the money to have it tested, commen sense says it's better, but no test, not pass, and that's how it works. CARB wants the money is what it boils down to. Same with some CAI, even the dual air filter setup looks like a CARB one, (that is why some cost $289 and other that look just like it cost $39), it didn't go through the testing, thus, illegal... BS if you ask me. But no one does, so there.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 AM
andy46
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
Andy46, we have the most stupid laws in California, enough to make me think when I do retire, to leave it. I just may, but we will see. You are correct, it is a big improvement over stock, but what I found is that if the manufacturer of the Oil Catch Can has CARB research test it (at a cost) and it proves better, they would allow it and a CARB approved stamp can be applied. No one wants to spend the money to have it tested, commen sense says it's better, but no test, not pass, and that's how it works. CARB wants the money is what it boils down to. Same with some CAI, even the dual air filter setup looks like a CARB one, (that is why some cost $289 and other that look just like it cost $39), it didn't go through the testing, thus, illegal... BS if you ask me. But no one does, so there.
I've been down to Cali several times over the past few years, and I have to say I was blown away by the rules that everything has to have a warning label on it telling you its bad for you, and I mean everything!
Sad fact is eventually everyone else ends up doing what Cali does, regardless if it makes sense or not.
But getting off topic here, I like the catch can idea and am going to look into one for my car.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can .... It really works..