Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is Best, C5 or C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
PostShawn
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick what you like best. Take a look at what's available in your area. Try to find the newest you can of each model. The C5 2002-2004 probably the best. Has the LS6 intake manifold, pretty much all updates at that point, etc. The C6 2008+ got a more powerful engine, minor upgrades throughout. Also think about if you do any work yourself. The C5 is older and might have some issues, headlight gear goes bad, etc. If you don't mind wrenching for a couple hours every once in a while you can save your self a lot of money buying a C5 rather then a C6. I'm not saying all C5s will have problems but they are older cars. If you want hassle free then an 08+ C6 might be better. Again, I'm not saying all C6's are hassle free, just that they are newer so there is less chance of things breaking at this time at least. So go see what's in your area. Test drive a C5 and a C6 and decide for yourself what you like.
Good luck!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
It sounds like you got a smoking good deal on your GS. Your reply makes me chuckle though. The C5 is outdated 90's look?

Does a mid 90's Viper look outdated? NO! Neither does the C5 Corvette. They are both original looking, sexy and will not be outdated for decades.

As long as you are happy than that's all that matters. Personally I would have kept the $30k, put $10K into the C5Z and have a car that looks better and is faster than your GS and have $20k left over.
So according to your posts then the C4 is a much better car than the
C5. BTW those issues you posted with the C6's I've never experienced any in 55k miles on my EARLY built 05. As a matter of fact no issues at all what so ever. If you like your c5 that is fine but don't knock on the C6 because it's an awesome car.

The the OP:

Buy whichever you like. Me and two of my buddies shopping for vettes went and test drove c5's and c6's. I bought the '05 c6 and they both bought '04 c5's. Goes to show you.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by ssv3
C5. BTW those issues you posted with the C6's I've never experienced any in 55k miles on my EARLY built 05. As a matter of fact no issues at all what so ever. If you like your c5 that is fine but don't knock on the C6 because it's an awesome car.

The the OP:

Buy whichever you like. Me and two of my buddies shopping for vettes went and test drove c5's and c6's. I bought the '05 c6 and they both bought '04 c5's. Goes to show you.
The C4 is a better car overall. It's not as fast but you take an LT4 and it's just as fast as a base coupe.

I'm terribly disapppointed in the C5.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
The C4 is a better car overall. It's not as fast but you take an LT4 and it's just as fast as a base coupe.

My love for vettes actually started with the C4's. To me a vette is a vette. I appreciate all generations.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I never heard anyone say C6 didn't have any problems. We own a '02 and '09, like and enjoy both. We have friends who own both generations as well. Both generations are unique and great cars.
For those who think C6's have no problems you are crazy! I can't tell you how many times I have shaken my head at the many, many common issues I have found and worked on with the C6.

Here is a quick list off the top of my head of common problems found in the C6...

Slave cylinders- $1k+ to fix
This can be a issue to C5 or C6.

Clutch pressure plates- $1k+ to fix
Clutch can be a issue for any car that is drag raced or driven incorrectly.

Window regulators- $500+ to fix
Maybe some, but do you Really want to open this can of worms on window regulators?

Headlight bulb- $300 from the dealer
Probably so being a HID bulb, only not heard of anyone having to replace it yet.

Door release switches
Put on a new one in 15 min.for $11.00 or clean contacts on the old one for $0.

Tires due to poor factory alignments
This can happen with any new car. Take it back to the dealer and they will fix it FREE.

Removable top creaks
Earlier C6 were fitted with updated latches. Others are fixed with a $4.00 tube of dielectric grease.

Belt squeals
Can happen on ANY car.

Harmonic balancer wobble
??? sure you want to bring this up??

Differentials that grenade ('05)
Only some that were driven hard with power adders and/or sticky tires.

Battery failures (must have shifter in reverse when off)
Applies to '05 ONLY. Thought everyone put it in reverse when parked??

Rear compartment lights don't come on (latch)
Haven't heard of this but if you say so......

Service active handling (steering wheel pos sensor)
I think this only applies to some of the earlier cars.

Service charging system (harmonic balancer and or alternator)
Been few issues of this i've heard of, some were a loose cable at the starter.

Fuel door release cable/actuator (spring breaks inside)
I know a few with this issue for BOTH generations.

Key Fobs not detected
Usually the fob or car battery. A few have found cable loose at starter.

Pet Peves about the C6 that I have...

Keyless entry and ignition... half the time the door doesn't open the first time or engine doesn't start/shut off the first time.
Very few times i have heard of this.

Ugly rear bumper that flexes and shakes over bumps.
???? never heard of this.
Dash fades and discolors with normal cleaners.
Gassing out when new. Easily remedied.
Expensive parts... can never get the part you need, its always part of a more expensive part...ie Window regulator cable frayed...cant get cable must order regulator with door module for $500.
If you say so.....
Knowing that if I buy a stick shift I need to change the clutch fluid with every oil change or I risk losing my clutch.
Applies to C6 AND C5. Ranger method.
Less of a value compared to C5... you can find 05, 06 and 07's in the upper $20k range now. 97's didn't drop that low as quick. A mint 04 Corvette is worth the same or more than a mint 05 Corvette with similar miles.
Who knows....? opinions?
The only way I would get into a C6 is if it were a C6 Z06 or ZR1.
With all this you stated on C6, why would you want one at all??????
Just wondering.....
Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love both cars equally but I have to say since I bought my 99 in June I like the looks of the C5 better than the base C6 especially from the front. My father has an 05 magnetic red coupe and I think mine just looks better. I also have more interior room and like my interior better with the mods I did (two tone seat covers 8 piece interior kit) C6's have the better engines but you can always mod the C5 with simple boltons like mine(ram air, headers, catback, tune) to get over 400hp and have plenty of cash left over over the price of a similar C6..I paid $16k for my 400+hp C5 with 40k miles.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Corvettta
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience I have found none of these vettes are built worth a ****. They're pretty much what I always thought they were, a rich man's toy or someone who enjoys working on them all the time. But they're not for someone who expects quality, I do know that.

Fire away boys, prove me wrong.

Hi all, I am new here.
Gotta disagree on the C6 issue list. I have a 2007 Z51 Convertible I drive daily here in Michigan when it does not snow. I have 57000 miles and not one problem. I mean not even a check engine light.
I only changed the clutch fluid at 50,000 miles. No issues.

So there, proven wrong.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Name:  areyouseriousbaby130x130.jpg
Views: 4806
Size:  4.2 KB Name:  worf.gif
Views: 4869
Size:  800.9 KB
Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

This^^^ LMFAO
Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Your smoking some nasty crack.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
I never heard anyone say C6 didn't have any problems. We own a '02 and '09, like and enjoy both. We have friends who own both generations as well. Both generations are unique and great cars.

With all this you stated on C6, why would you want one at all??????
Just wondering.....
I see all of your comments to the quick list of issues I made for the C6. I am a Corvette mechanic. Every day of my life I work on Corvettes. That was a quick list of common problems. I could write a novel on all of the problems I have seen.

My favorite disagreement we have is the crappy cheap rear bumper covers. Have you ever seen a C6 with loud exhaust... the damn bumper vibrates! Pathetic.

The next favorite disagreement we have is about the clutch pressure plates... applies to vehicles that dragged or driven incorrectly you say? How about the pressure plate I just replaced on a 2005 with 8,000 miles on it due to it prematurely adjusting forward. Look up GM bulletin # 09-07-31-001

"Low Clutch Pedal, Difficult to Shift (Inspect/Replace Clutch and Pressure Plate)

Models:
2005-2009 Chevrolet Corvette, Corvette Z06

With Manual Transmission

Condition

Some customers may comment on a low clutch pedal. In some vehicles, the pedal may appear to operate very close to the floor. Customers may also have difficulty shifting.

Cause

The low pedal concern may be the result of a clutch that has prematurely forward adjusted."

Oh and the clutch disc itself looked brand new coming out Cha Ching $1000 later thanks GM!!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ssv3

The the OP:

Nope I fu*king hate C4's with a passion. Thanks to Uncle mozeltof Sam E10 is now used widely and is destroying the fuel systems in these cars. Can't get parts for them, plastics fall apart when you touch them, over engineered piles of sh*t part vacuum part electric systems . I recommend them to anyone who wants a headache or wants one as a display.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I shopped both an 04 C5 and 05/06 C6 and bought the C5. Here's what I found.

I like the styling of the C5 more and the wide butt gives you lots more room under the hatch.

The C6 is basically the same frame but putting in fixed headlights allowed them to chop a few inches off the front, while slimming down the back let them chop off a couple of inches there. Makes the car a bit tidier in tight parking lots.

The C5 is fast enough for me. In normal driving its hard to see redline beyond first gear and driving around town I didn't notice the extra 50 horsepower. Of course, most of it comes higher up where I don't go unless I'm getting on a freeway on ramp with no traffic.

For all the complaints about the seats, I like my sport seats. If I were going to race the car I would put in a Recaro but for normal driving the standard sport seats are fine and have lots of adjustment. Boy racers don't like them because don't lock you in tightly enough but for me, I've no complaints. I also don't think the interior of my 04 Commemorative is that cheap. I could be better but its ok as is, to me.

If I had an extra $15k would I trade for an 08? Maybe. Its nice to have the latest and greatest but it wouldn't be because I need more power or want more hi tech toys. I can get more power and upgrade to a nav system for a lot less than $15k.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:49 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove a 94 vert for 5 years, now an 04 Coupe.

Performance wise, handling and acceleration, there's a difference but not as great as you'd think considerering the C4 was introduced in 84.

Those wide sills are a pain to climb over and they really cut down on the interior space. The digital dash was a little cool but the instrument cluster in the C5 is very good.

Is the C5 a disappointment compared to the C4? I'd like to see the rationale for that statement, unless you just prefer the styling.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

I can say i love all vettes, except the C4. There are People that like em, that's fine. Their money their choice.
My opinion, the model did Absolutely Nothing for me which included the styling, dash, the rough ride and an engine that didn't have enough power to fall out of a tree. The LT-1 engine livened things up a little as long as water was kept off of the distributor. The four cam motor? The less said about that the better.
Bottom line, the C5 was a HUGE improvement from the C4's 13 year (overly long) life.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

I see all of your comments to the quick list of issues I made for the C6. I am a Corvette mechanic. Every day of my life I work on Corvettes. That was a quick list of common problems. I could write a novel on all of the problems I have seen.

My favorite disagreement we have is the crappy cheap rear bumper covers. Have you ever seen a C6 with loud exhaust... the damn bumper vibrates! Pathetic.

The next favorite disagreement we have is about the clutch pressure plates... applies to vehicles that dragged or driven incorrectly you say? How about the pressure plate I just replaced on a 2005 with 8,000 miles on it due to it prematurely adjusting forward. Look up GM bulletin # 09-07-31-001

"Low Clutch Pedal, Difficult to Shift (Inspect/Replace Clutch and Pressure Plate)

Models:
2005-2009 Chevrolet Corvette, Corvette Z06

With Manual Transmission

Condition

Some customers may comment on a low clutch pedal. In some vehicles, the pedal may appear to operate very close to the floor. Customers may also have difficulty shifting.

Cause

The low pedal concern may be the result of a clutch that has prematurely forward adjusted."

Oh and the clutch disc itself looked brand new coming out Cha Ching $1000 later thanks GM!!
I went on from a professional mechanic after many years to work and retire from Snap-on. I have restored many classic musclecars and spend time on our cars as well as others vettes. I also spend some time on C5 and C6 forums, so i know something about cars and vettes as well. Since you say you are a vette mechanic, i am sure you are familiar with them.
Our '09 has the fuse pulled from the npp exhaust, a friend has a '08 with a corsa catback. We talk to others about vettes and NOWHERE have we seen or had a issue with the " cheap crappy bumper vibrates" as you describe.

There are some new cars(all types) that leave the factory with problems. Not uncommon. That is what the warranty is for. Anyway i have not encountered anyone with this "clutch plate problem" and have heard very few people(if any) asking about this on C6 forum. There are MANY people on the C6 forum with over 100,000 miles on their cars that have NEVER been touched by a wrench, and with the original clutch.
Just because you replaced a pressure plate in a '05 i don't think it's fair to paint them all with the same broad brush.

You seem to enjoy beating on the C6, and to be fair and balanced, i am sure you would not mind listing issues for C5. I am sure the OP is all ears.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 AM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You must be kidding! I had a C4 Silver Anniversary purchased new and currently own a C5Z, the C5 is better in every aspect other than engine access, kind of liked the clam shell hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Which is Best, C5 or C6

Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They're both nice, as had an 01' C5 coupe I'd probably still have, until the C6 ZO6 came out, and jumped over to that. Had both for awhile, and really noticed a nice, shorter throw shifter on the C6. From what I've heard, pre 01' engine control computers are no longer availible. Also the last year C5's got away from the leaky side terminal batteries, going back to conventional top terminal. This was a issue, because if leaked, could ruin the engine computer. As for the mentioned C4 front end. C5's went back to the standard hood design for insurance cost reasons. The insurance industry has a lot more influance on automotive design, than you might think.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

This debate has ragged since the c2 replaced the c1 its always the same question which is better Do you really think GM would take a step backwards with their newest generation? No, each generation got better and better in a lot of ways. If this was not true we would still have blue flame 6 cyl. engines not supercharged LS9's or 427's in the c6's Even the base engine at 436hp is a step up from the base 345hp the c5 has I will give the looks thing but then I think the c3 is the best looking vette ever. Would I trade my c6 for a c3 no way but I am not about looks. I wanted the best handling and comfortable car I could get

When the c7 comes out in a couple of years this will start all over again

Just enjoy whichever gen you have because dude you have a Corvette

Op get the car you like the best and you will be very happy I am sure
The following users liked this post:
JimHarris4 (10-09-2020)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
I went on from a professional mechanic after many years to work and retire from Snap-on. I have restored many classic musclecars and spend time on our cars as well as others vettes. I also spend some time on C5 and C6 forums, so i know something about cars and vettes as well. Since you say you are a vette mechanic, i am sure you are familiar with them.
Our '09 has the fuse pulled from the npp exhaust, a friend has a '08 with a corsa catback. We talk to others about vettes and NOWHERE have we seen or had a issue with the " cheap crappy bumper vibrates" as you describe.

There are some new cars(all types) that leave the factory with problems. Not uncommon. That is what the warranty is for. Anyway i have not encountered anyone with this "clutch plate problem" and have heard very few people(if any) asking about this on C6 forum. There are MANY people on the C6 forum with over 100,000 miles on their cars that have NEVER been touched by a wrench, and with the original clutch.
Just because you replaced a pressure plate in a '05 i don't think it's fair to paint them all with the same broad brush.

You seem to enjoy beating on the C6, and to be fair and balanced, i am sure you would not mind listing issues for C5. I am sure the OP is all ears.
Sure here you go http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ngths-etc.html
I don't enjoy beating on the C6, I do like to share what I know to help show that the C6 isn't necessarily a better car than a C5. It has its own set of weaknesses that shouldn't be over looked.

I think the performance of C6 (Z06, GS, ZR1, and 08+) is improved over the C5, but I think that should be obvious to anyone that has a remote interest in these cars.

Bottom line is the C6 is a revamped C5. Much of the C6 can be used on a C5 so it should come down to $$ and looks. People just need to understand the C6 is not a higher quality car.
The following users liked this post:
JimHarris4 (10-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Which is Best, C5 or C6