Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm real happy with the x pipe..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dklowrider
i actually had the impression that the siamesed or joined style was just a cheap imitation of a real x pipe. but it all makes sense. joined style, the 2 sides mingle and flow on through. the x style has a collision of the 2 sides, then it's a fight for who goes down which side.
does that sound about right?
I personally think that the siamesed pipes are more difficult to make than the x style because of the cuts, bends, and welds you have to have to make them. Where the X is much simpler in design and is stamped most of the time.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by m6 c5
I personally think that the siamesed pipes are more difficult to make than the x style because of the cuts, bends, and welds you have to have to make them. Where the X is much simpler in design and is stamped most of the time.
After looking at the "X" pictures supplied by mcm95403, and the descriptions from this thread, (some of which seem backwards,) it would look like the True-X is the inferior of the two styles of X-pipe.

Am I getting closer??

Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by s'noJob
After looking at the "X" pictures supplied by mcm95403, and the descriptions from this thread, (some of which seem backwards,) it would look like the True-X is the inferior of the two styles of X-pipe.

Am I getting closer??

In my uneducated opinion I would say yes, plus siamesed one just looks like it is less restrictive to me. Before I ever started researching this stuff I knew if I was going to get an x-pipe I didnt want to buy anything but the siamese style just because it appeared to flow better from what I knew.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s'noJob

Am I getting closer??

i agree that there seems to be conflicting statements on which is the better flow, but i think we got it now. the siamese style, or joined at the hip as it appears to be, is the better flow than the true x type.
now someone who makes the true x type is going to come up with some kind of engineering flow printout to show why we're wrong.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Wow! Great info on this thread. I am planning to install a thermal tunnel plate and was considering adding a Corsa X-Pipe while I have the exhaust dropped. I already have the Corsa Pro Indy exhaust and love it. However, I was hoping for some performance and torque improvements. This is the Corsa X-Pipe I'm considering...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Wow! Great info on this thread. I am planning to install a thermal tunnel plate and was considering adding a Corsa X-Pipe while I have the exhaust dropped. I already have the Corsa Pro Indy exhaust and love it. However, I was hoping for some performance and torque improvements. This is the Corsa X-Pipe I'm considering...

I dont think you will really notice anything other than a change in sound unless you get headers which are tuned for the x pipe but you may pick up a few ponies, just not anything huge.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I've got this particular X-pipe and am pleased with it. I bought it to improve, albeit slightly, the flow of exhaust gasses, but specially to eliminate the popping sound on deceleration from my Corsa Sports. Works great!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Rock and Roll,

I installed a joint X-Pipe on my Mid America Quadrapower exhaust this past Tuesday at Mid America. It made the exhaust note a little more mellow, not so throatie. Also, in 6th on the highway, the sound level was cut in half. I really like the setup...sounds awesome! Still has that "Vette" roar...yeah!

Mike
Old 09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
robert123
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.... I am still waiting to find out which is the better x pipe???
Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert123
Well.... I am still waiting to find out which is the better x pipe???
Well, in my opinion it looks like the consensus of this thread is than the joined X-pipe, (which looks more like a "bump and grind",) is better than the true X-pipe.

Look at how each are described in the posts regarding airflow/hp and construction and you'll see more positive direction toward the "joined" X.

Last edited by s'noJob; 09-01-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
A full 16ga steel cat-back system sent out for internal and external ceramic coating will not be much cheaper than a stainless steel system. Besides, they usually rust from the inside out. Moisture inside the exhaust system eats them away, if the tack-welded internal baffles don't break first. After 3 cars with Flowrusters, I switched to stainless steel straight-through design exhausts and never looked back. That's cool that you are happy with yours, though.

A few months ago I had my shorty headers ceramic coated inside and out at Sandersons in South San Francisco for $80. Mufflers wouldn't cost much more than that.

And Flowmaster doesn't "tack weld" ANYTHING that goes out the door. I did see some of the old mufflers that weren't aluminized steel that had rusted out badly, but the aluminized ones are many times more durable. If you make a lot of short trips and the exhaust system never gets a chance to heat up enough to burn off condensation, then it will shorten the life of the mufflers.

Quick Reply: I'm real happy with the x pipe..........