Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Challenger HELLCAT race in Mexico of course.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 AM
CASEWORER
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Challenger HELLCAT race in Mexico of course.

Was on my way home this evening when I ran up on a HELLCAT Challenger. The young man driving the HELLCAT was probably close to 25 or so and asked if I wanted to go from a 40 roll. I said sure. By the time I pulled into 4th I had him by 3 or4 car lengths and I let out. As he pulled back up beside me the look on his was priceless. I figured from a 40 roll it would have been closer. This was the first race I have done since I put the 3.90 gears in last summer. I love my LS7 c5z06. It puts a big smile on this olds mans face every time one of these young guys pulls up beside me thinking he has me outgunned with his newer Supercharged vehicle. Let me tell you 550 RWHP with a 3.90 gear is a blast.
The following 11 users liked this post by CASEWORER:
AZoh6 (06-30-2020), CJ Willys (07-03-2020), gmanflying (06-30-2020), lewislgZ06 (06-30-2020), MadMax96 (06-30-2020), mstromquist (06-30-2020), Peteraq1 (06-30-2020), turabo87 (06-30-2020), USAZR1 (06-30-2020), walleyejack (06-30-2020), zone-7 (06-30-2020) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:54 AM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

While those cars have big numbers in the power department, they have bigger numbers on the scale. Hauling around 2-1/4 tons of metal and plastic is a huge physical limitation.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:07 AM
Stingroo
Safety Car

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,691 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

The light weight of these cars surprises newer cars all the time. I quite enjoy it. lol
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

You can buy a few different configurations of F-150 that weigh less than a Hellcat
Old 06-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Boeuf
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by oharal
You can buy a few different configurations of F-150 that weigh less than a Hellcat
Old 06-30-2020, 12:19 PM
Toys4Life C5
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 546 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Not to mention a greater % of all that massive weight on the front end....
Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 AM
Z06_NV
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I also love my built forged LS7 c5 vert. Taken a few hellkitties down....
Old 07-01-2020, 08:47 AM
jmbbluevette
2010 SC GS Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'17,'18,'19

Originally Posted by CASEWORER
Was on my way home this evening when I ran up on a HELLCAT Challenger. The young man driving the HELLCAT was probably close to 25 or so and asked if I wanted to go from a 40 roll. I said sure. By the time I pulled into 4th I had him by 3 or4 car lengths and I let out. As he pulled back up beside me the look on his was priceless. I figured from a 40 roll it would have been closer. This was the first race I have done since I put the 3.90 gears in last summer. I love my LS7 c5z06. It puts a big smile on this olds mans face every time one of these young guys pulls up beside me thinking he has me outgunned with his newer Supercharged vehicle. Let me tell you 550 RWHP with a 3.90 gear is a blast.
👍 I also have a built NA LS7 C5Z06 but with 3:73 gears. It always puts a big smile in my face whenever I led it rip. 😎

Last edited by jmbbluevette; 07-01-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:55 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I love having a big LS in mine, 434ci with 3.73 rear, it's a beast even tuned at 510rwhp so I can stay in my class. No replacement for displacement rings true!
Old 07-02-2020, 01:34 AM
CASEWORER
Racer

It was fun before the LS7 swap and the 3.90 gears Now I just look for a reason to leave the house on the weekend. Most all of the local car guys already know what it is but there are still a few guys that have to find out the hard way. You are right there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:38 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CASEWORER
I actually love the Hellfats but they're an entirely different category of vehicle than a C5 corvette & ESPECIALLY a C5 w/ big performance mods lol

While I didn't race one personally yet (not that into it) I have driven a couple & a work related buddie just got one -he's like "well now I got something worthwhile to bring to a car show whenever they start having em again - & I'm guessing I'll be giving your vette a run having over 700 hp" - I'm like yeah that's awesome man, but as far as racing my C5Z am I supposed to be pulling a trailer to level the odds or what?

He was kinda quiet like, "I don't get it" - I said bud, my car has over 640hp to the rear wheels, like 750 @ the crank or whatever if you're counting, your Challenger outweighs my Vette by more than the payload on my Raptor (1200 lbs) - let that sink in for a min, & then consider my front tires are the same width as your rears & my rears are 1.5" wider than those lol!

Physics is a bitch I guess
Old 07-03-2020, 04:01 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I just saw that they are making a limited number of Hellcat Durango's. Everybody needs an almost 800 hp SUV. I do.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:51 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

710 hp to be exact. I want one but my wallet says to save and save and save all my pennies for a 2024 C8 Z06. Hopefully Chevy has Electron Blue as an option by then

The following users liked this post:
o2bnkc (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 PM
MSgtrock
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very impressive win. Your built sports car weighing an easy thousand pounds less with a close horsepower rating to the stock car you were racing? And you won? If you would have lost, that would have been impressive. Bragging about beating a stock car that you are vastly lighter than and and have a very close power level to, really seams a little silly. I will admit that when I was younger I had some built muscle cars, all MOPARS that would easily beat brand new stock vettes, mustangs, etc. If you know what you are doing, it's not hard to beat stock cars.Even Hellcats can be beaten by well built cars. I am sure you didn't tell the Hellcat driver what you had. I wouldn't have either. He has a disadvantage. His car will only fit 4 to 5 people, depending on size, and still do about 200mph. It is heavier.It's a full size car and is meant to be. All you need to do is race someone who might be competition. I have owned a Hellcat Challenger and never the guys with full race setup cars since I knew mine was by far a better car and repair costs fro damaged parts are crazy expensive. Don't worry though, there will be someone for you that will beat you when you don't expect it. Maybe some ricer with much more turbo power than expected. I still happen to own a Hellcat. It's just a Charger though. My vette is a blast to drive, but they are totally different machines. I do like
having over 700 horespower and a warranty. I love both of my cars and both are exactly as they should be. If you want a lighter car that handles well and actually gets pretty good mileage, the C5 is awesome. If you want a nice car with some luxuries and plenty of room, but you want to be able to cruise very fast, the Hellcat is a great option.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:24 PM
CASEWORER
Racer

Originally Posted by MSgtrock
Very impressive win. Your built sports car weighing an easy thousand pounds less with a close horsepower rating to the stock car you were racing? And you won? If you would have lost, that would have been impressive. Bragging about beating a stock car that you are vastly lighter than and and have a very close power level to, really seams a little silly. I will admit that when I was younger I had some built muscle cars, all MOPARS that would easily beat brand new stock vettes, mustangs, etc. If you know what you are doing, it's not hard to beat stock cars.Even Hellcats can be beaten by well built cars. I am sure you didn't tell the Hellcat driver what you had. I wouldn't have either. He has a disadvantage. His car will only fit 4 to 5 people, depending on size, and still do about 200mph. It is heavier.It's a full size car and is meant to be. All you need to do is race someone who might be competition. I have owned a Hellcat Challenger and never the guys with full race setup cars since I knew mine was by far a better car and repair costs fro damaged parts are crazy expensive. Don't worry though, there will be someone for you that will beat you when you don't expect it. Maybe some ricer with much more turbo power than expected. I still happen to own a Hellcat. It's just a Charger though. My vette is a blast to drive, but they are totally different machines. I do like
having over 700 horespower and a warranty. I love both of my cars and both are exactly as they should be. If you want a lighter car that handles well and actually gets pretty good mileage, the C5 is awesome. If you want a nice car with some luxuries and plenty of room, but you want to be able to cruise very fast, the Hellcat is a great option.
You seem a little sarcastic. However you are correct about one thing, I definitely did not tell him what I had under the hood and I did not know exactly what he had under the hood whether he was stock or full bolt ons. He instigated this situation and I was more than happy to see which one of us was the fastest. In this situation it was me. Now by no means am I a young man at 61 and having had many a fast cars over the years the Vette is my favorite. I did have a 68 charger with a 440 that ranks right up there as one of my favorite cars. I have ran a lot of Cobra Mustangs, Rousche Supercharged Mustangs and anything else that wants to go. When most of the boys see a older man in a Vette they just assume I'm a waxer all show and no go. If you had read my post you would have seen where I said most all of the local car guys know me and we have a great comraderi and a lot of fun together. I am able to give them a lot of knowledge that I obtained over the years and they keep me up to date on technology. I seen this particular young man a couple of days later and he came up to me and asked what I was running under the hood so I told him exactly what I had. He just assumed I was stock. First lesson never under estimate your opponent. My motto is to always be gracious win or lose. But deep down there is always a certain amount of pleasure took when you are looked at as easy prey and then leave them like they are chained to a stump.
The following 4 users liked this post by CASEWORER:
03 Owner (07-05-2020), foggy (07-04-2020), MadMax96 (07-05-2020), MSgtrock (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:08 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 658 Likes on 527 Posts

Sleepers are always fun. So instead of a wolf in sheep's clothing, your sleeper is a Big Bad Wolf in a regular wolf's skin. Mr. Cheetah thinks he's picking on a run of the mill three generations back Corvette, anticipating an easy walk, but didn't get it.
On the other hand, he probably can't tell the difference between a C5 and a C8...
Old 07-05-2020, 10:23 PM
CASEWORER
Racer

Originally Posted by redzg
Sleepers are always fun. So instead of a wolf in sheep's clothing, your sleeper is a Big Bad Wolf in a regular wolf's skin. Mr. Cheetah thinks he's picking on a run of the mill three generations back Corvette, anticipating an easy walk, but didn't get it.
On the other hand, he probably can't tell the difference between a C5 and a C8...
You have definitely hit the nail on the head.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:56 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MSgtrock
Your statement is a joke, right?
The following 2 users liked this post by Water_Walker:
C5Dobie (07-06-2020), wrx_pwner (07-07-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Challenger HELLCAT race in Mexico of course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Challenger HELLCAT race in Mexico of course.