Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Wrapping DIY Tutorial... (Lengthy and Major PICS!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 AM
NarenO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl wrap

Originally Posted by MarkyMarkGTM
Well congrats on making it through to the end, it got a little bit long but I did warn you in the beginning. I guess it is time for a whole gang of finished shots. This page is going to take forever to load, oh well...

Attachment 48150379
Attachment 48150380
Attachment 48150381
Attachment 48150382
Attachment 48150383
Attachment 48150384
Attachment 48150385
Attachment 48150386
Attachment 48150387
Attachment 48150388
Attachment 48150389
Attachment 48150390

Attachment 48150391
Attachment 48150392
Attachment 48150393
Attachment 48150394
Attachment 48150395
Hi I saw this and this is awesome I have a few question if you can please message me at 763-248-3213 thanks
Old 12-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

The OP hasnt logged on in almost 3 years. I dont think you'll get a response.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:19 PM
C5.dro
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyMarkGTM
TUTORIAL:
It is somewhat hard to explain step by step how to do this and a lot of it is just learning as you go. I took a lot of detailed pics throughout the whole process so I think the best thing to do is to start with the easy panels (decklid, hood) and work up to some of the trickier areas (handles, mirrors, bumpers) My pics will show a progression with each panel from the time the vinyl is first laid on, to the finished piece. There will be text along with the pics to further illustrate what is being done. Let's get to it:

HOOD:
The first piece I did was actually the decklid but I don't have pics of that so here we go with the second easiest piece. Don't let the size of the panel deter you, it is big but it is also fairly flat. I started with the hood still attached to the car because it acts as a natural stand and it is easier to do the surface with it on the car. First I apply the liquid decal spray to the hood AND the vinyl piece being laid over it. You don't need so much that it starts running off the panel, just enough so it starts to bead up on the surface like so:
Attachment 48150474

Next I laid the vinyl on the hood and roughly started to pull it to where I needed it. It is important to make sure the surrounding areas are clean (like the fenders and headlamp covers) because the excess vinyl will lay past the hood and onto those surfaces when you smooth it all out. If those surfaces are dirty the crap will stick to the vinyl and will make wrapping the edges not work so good.
Attachment 48150475

Start in the center of the hood on that center style line and work out. It is important to do that on most panels because if you don't attack it with a plan you will end up bunching the material at some point and it will be junk. You need to start at one spot and systematically work your way to the edges (on every panel, not just the hood) You can however start in the center and do one side completely, then come back and do the other.
In the picture you will see I have completed the right side of the hood but the left needs to be done yet. Using your heat source and the squeegee (this is where friends come in) you want to pull and stretch the vinyl and smooth it down onto the surface.

If you look at the pic above you will still see creases on the side that I haven't done yet (left side). Here is a video that does a great job of explaining how to go about clearing up areas like this. Actually here are the two most helpful videos that I found for this project. Granted he is not using Oracal vinyl but the properties are similar. He is applying dry which didn't work out for me, but maybe you can pull it off. Oh and by the way, he makes this look EFFORTLESS. Although the information is good, he almost makes it look too easy. WAY harder in person for an amateur like myself.

Alright the surface is now done. There may still be some small "bubbles" or "lumps" where there is a tiny bit of lubricant still trapped under the vinyl. The great thing about this product is that it has integrated air release channels that allow you to work out air pockets and other defects like in the second video. It also lets air pass through so if you have lubricant trapped underneath it will dry out and look flawless in a matter of hours. So if this is your first piece and you have it all squeegeed out and it doesn't quite look right just come back in 24 hours and see what happens, should work itself out. Check it:
Attachment 48150476

So at this point I would let the hood dry until the next day and then take it off the car. Once off the car in can be laid upside down on a carpeted floor and then the edges can be trimmed and tucked. After that put it back on and call that panel done.

DOORS:
The next easiest piece is probably the door(s). Don't be an idiot and try to wrap around the mirror/handle and belt molding. Take the 20 minutes and detrim that bad boy, I promise it will go 100 times easier.

I don't have very many good pics of the start of this panel but that is o.k. because every panel starts the same as the hood did. You cut your vinyl to fit and lube the backside of the vinyl and the panel. For the doors I started at the top of the panel and worked my way down. Once all material has been smoothed out it should look a bit like this:
Attachment 48150477

The tricky part of the doors were the edges. Once you have worked the excess material out to the edge it will look something like this:

This is of course the front edge and it almost goes without saying that you want the fenders off for this part to get the access needed to properly finish the edge. This is also an area where I would use adhesion promoter. The tight 90degree bend will have a tendency to pull up and you don't want that. It is also worth mentioning that the least amount of stretching is the best because the vinyl does have a slight memory to it and if you do the "stretch and stick" it will want to pull up more than if you heat it and gently press it into the edge. So with some heat and patience your edge should go from that to this:

And with a bit more trimming and tucking behind, from that to this:
Attachment 48150478

For the mirror it will be apparent where the holes are because you can see the impressions in the vinyl. I just took my blade and cut out around those areas. You can see that they are fairly rough finished from the factory so you don't have to be too careful in this area. Everything is covered by the mirror once it is back on the car anyway. Action shot:
Attachment 48150479

Now for the handle cut out area, this spot has to be a bit nicer. Start with some moderate heat over the whole thing to help relax the vinyl. I started by taking the edge of the squeegee and just running it along the edge of the opening using very light pressure. Two action shots in a row:
Attachment 48150480

Continue working it until the recessed edge is complete:
Attachment 48150481

Next cut out a hole in the middle and wrap the edge. I did not use adhesion promoter in this area because once you install the handle there will be no way for it to pull up.
Attachment 48150482

And a beautifully finished door, repeat for driver's side.
Attachment 48150483
i know this is a old thread and not sure whos all on here but what were the dimensions of the vinyl that you used for the hood? I want to wrap it it carbon fiber but not sure what size to get

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrapping DIY Tutorial... (Lengthy and Major PICS!!!)