Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke piece of body, which epoxy/glue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
retaf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broke piece of body, which epoxy/glue?

I haven't had my 02' a week and I'm too embarrassed to say what I did but I broke a small piece (3x3 inch) of the body just under the left front wheel well. Fortunately it's not visible. I want to reattach it. What's best adhesive to use?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
vetfeva2
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I used vette bond when i installed my BPP rear brake ducts. Many have used and talked about it on here. Do a search for vette bond. You can get it at most body supply stores
Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
retaf
Racer

Originally Posted by vetfeva2
I used vette bond when i installed my BPP rear brake ducts. Many have used and talked about it on here. Do a search for vette bond. You can get it at most body supply stores
I'm going to try some kind of plastic adhesive. This piece is very small and I need much less than an ounce.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the piece exactly? I mean does it really effect anything? Maybe take it as a loss and just learn from it I mean 3" x 3"? Not to big.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by retaf
I'm going to try some kind of plastic adhesive. This piece is very small and I need much less than an ounce.
Could you post up a picture, when you get a chance?
Reagardless if you bond the piece back to it's original position, I would pull the inner wheel well out of the way to get to the other side of the broken piece & put some fiber glass cloth & resnn over the complete area.
Good luck.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:51 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
What is the piece exactly? I mean does it really effect anything? Maybe take it as a loss and just learn from it I mean 3" x 3"? Not to big.

Whaaaat?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Whaaaat?
lol maybe Im different, but things happen, and if it has no effect on the car and isnt visible, why glue it on?? Who's to say (w.e part this is) wont heat up and fall off. If I knew what it was it would be easy to tell.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

By the way the OP (retaf) described his mishap, I believe he has a 3" hole now, in the bottomside of his drivers side fender.
That's not a good thing to ignore.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
lol maybe Im different, but things happen, and if it has no effect on the car and isnt visible, why glue it on?? Who's to say (w.e part this is) wont heat up and fall off. If I knew what it was it would be easy to tell.

Didn't I just see a pic of your car with a rear marker light missing and the tail lights all catty-whompus?

OP, fix things as they break and you won't end up with a POS a few years down the road. Not to mention ignoring most issues gets more expensive over time.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Picture would help. Is this the fender or the sill ? Two different materials. Fender is a molded plastic and the sill is SMC.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Broken rocker panel.

Originally Posted by retaf
If you go to Home depot, they sell a adhesive. It's called "Seal-All" It is in a yellow tube and a yellow and black package. it is in a 2 fluid ounce tube. But this is without a doubt the most effective adhesive I've ever used. It's impervious to heat or cold. I used on a decal on my air-bridge and it gets both very cold and very hot in the engine bay, But the temperature had no effect on it. It has a extremely tenacious hold onto whatever you want to join I used it inside on some small trim and it gets really cold inside the car during the winter, but once again it holds no matter what.

All you need do is make sure both surfaces are clean, and use a cotton swab to apple it , or in your case I'd put some on both pieces wait about ten seconds and then push the pieces back into the broken area and hold it for a minute or two, and your done. Great stuff, wait for a day and then sand down the area and hit it with a little primer and then apply your the color and then a coat of clear-coat paint and your done.

But one last thing, take a lot of care when your almost done because once you put the pieces back together that's it, they aren't going anywhere period. Good luck and I know you'll find this product is perfect fix for a lot of things around your car.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
retaf
Racer

Originally Posted by bumble-z
By the way the OP (retaf) described his mishap, I believe he has a 3" hole now, in the bottomside of his drivers side fender.
That's not a good thing to ignore.
Right, I want to put it back in place so hopefully it won't develop a crack in that area over time.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
retaf
Racer

Originally Posted by killain
If you go to Home depot, they sell a adhesive. It's called "Seal-All" It is in a yellow tube and a yellow and black package. it is in a 2 fluid ounce tube. But this is without a doubt the most effective adhesive I've ever used. It's impervious to heat or cold. I used on a decal on my air-bridge and it gets both very cold and very hot in the engine bay, But the temperature had no effect on it. It has a extremely tenacious hold onto whatever you want to join I used it inside on some small trim and it gets really cold inside the car during the winter, but once again it holds no matter what.

All you need do is make sure both surfaces are clean, and use a cotton swab to apple it , or in your case I'd put some on both pieces wait about ten seconds and then push the pieces back into the broken area and hold it for a minute or two, and your done. Great stuff, wait for a day and then sand down the area and hit it with a little primer and then apply your the color and then a coat of clear-coat paint and your done.

But one last thing, take a lot of care when your almost done because once you put the pieces back together that's it, they aren't going anywhere period. Good luck and I know you'll find this product is perfect fix for a lot of things around your car.
I believe this product is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks...
Old 12-29-2011, 04:54 PM
retaf
Racer

Originally Posted by fendermender
Picture would help. Is this the fender or the sill ? Two different materials. Fender is a molded plastic and the sill is SMC.
It is part of the painted fender behind the front wheel and just low enough so that it can't be seen but I must epoxy it back in place.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Is this the tab that has a screw that attaches the bottom rear of the fender? A lot of C5's lose those on alignment lifts, etc. If it is, you'll probably want to back it with some thin metal. I used a small piece of galvanized tin. Bonded it to the top side where it's not seen and bonded the broken tab to that. Drill a hole in through the tin and mount it up.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 PM
BRKLYN
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

my screw tab on driver side bottom fender wore out also. fender flops. I gotta get that seal all.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BRKLYN
my screw tab on driver side bottom fender wore out also. fender flops. I gotta get that seal all.
Good luck, I don't think that will do the trick.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Didn't I just see a pic of your car with a rear marker light missing and the tail lights all catty-whompus?

OP, fix things as they break and you won't end up with a POS a few years down the road. Not to mention ignoring most issues gets more expensive over time.
That pic was taken in the middle of me stripping my parts to give to my friend for a car show. lol But sure lets just assume thats how I'd just because my post clearly inferred that

Get notified of new replies

To broke piece of body, which epoxy/glue?

Quick Reply: broke piece of body, which epoxy/glue?