Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our prayers are with you.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My thoughts and Prayers go out to you and your family.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God Bless You!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 PM
dacfan
Racer

Lifting prayers for your family. Nothing about the future really scares me more than my parents health as they get older. as I transitioned from my 20s to 30s every bit of my foolish rebeliousness subsided and I have spent the last 6 or 7 years growing closer and closer to the two people that always stood by me even when I was ignorant of how much they cared. As selfish as I am I have convinced myself that I will be prepared to do anything in my power for them before I have to make decisions I don't want to face.
I have absolute respect for what you are doing and hope you receive the rewards in life you deserve for sticking it out. A salute to your father as well. They truly were and are the greatest generation.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
LKYMN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garrell,
Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. I know firsthand what you are going through having done it several years ago for my Mom who died the Friday before Mothers Day 3 years ago.
Today my wife and I have taken in her 80 year old Mom who is totally dependant for everything. It is very taxing on both of us but just like you, we would never send her to a nursing home.
We do this because when we were growing up we saw our parents taking care of our grandparents and now my kids see what we are doing today. My son told me recently that I was his hero for all that I do for the family. I still get choked up when I think of it. I take great comfort in knowing that as time goes on, should my wife or I need help, our kids will do for us what they saw us do for our parents. It's one of lifes lessons.
I wish you nothing but the best and hope you and your wife stay healthy and supportive of one another.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by avettelovertu
Praying for you and your family. God bless.

Me too!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Rockbridge
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

My thoughts and prayers are with you brother.

Richard
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
0PaulaH
Former Vendor

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I know what you are going through, as I had a very similiar experience. It is very sad and it isn't easy. You're a good son..... Keep us posted.....
Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

trust me , silverback 51 IS RIGHT . lost mother in law , both brothers , and only sister in last 4 years and , by the way , some nursing homes are terrific . . .good luck
Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Praying for you man.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:26 AM
garrell.770
Racer

Default to all my friends

Wish all of you could retire and move to Tallapoosa,GA. and we could start a new Corvette club.

Garrell
Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Wow, hang in there. My thoughts go out to you and your family today.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
garrell.770
Racer

Default updatere: to all my friends

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, Dad shows some improvement after a week at home. His mind is much better and he is not talking things that do not make sense and has started walking some with a walker. but Mother is worse after going home from our house.

I had a marathon week, I saw one Doctor Tuesday, one yesterday and two today, one of which is my neurologist. I have not seen him in a year so the visit was overdue, but a few weeks ago one evening my Wife asked a question and when I answered my voice came out as a garbled jibberish. I had experienced a severe headache in the back, center of my head for over a month and I had complained of a change in vision, also the episode of not speaking clearly lasted for around fifteen minutes and I was clearly aware that I had a problem but try as hard as I could I could not form words. Anyway cutting to the chase, I had a brain scan and I have had two light strokes since my last scan! Not ashamed to admit I worry each day about having another debilatating stroke and be back like I was acouple of years ago.
I am continuing with my plans to go landspeed racing in April at Wilmington, Ohio with my truck going to a performance shop on March, this trip is very important to me and I have a game plan I haven't divulged to anyone. You guys are good listeners and you know what I need you to continue to do as i will do in return for all of you. Some of you probably have problems worse than mine and keep them to yourselves so don't let me burden you.

Gratefully yours, Garrell
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 PM
corvettedaddy11
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS2NSUV
Prayer sent.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Prayers sent
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 PM
DBLTRGR
Racer

Garrel,

I certainly don't mind lending you an ear at a time when you need to reach out for help and understanding. As for myself, I'm lucky to have a personal relationship with Jesus and He is the very best one to take your problems to. And the solutions He comes up with are, many times, beyond my comprehension. Things I never saw coming, but the perfect answer all the same. Give Him a shot.

In the meantime, keep us posted because we all need companionship and other like minded people to relate to. And, still, my prayers are with you and your family.

Rick
Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Our prayers are with you.

Get notified of new replies

To To all my friends re:Don't let them sit

Old 02-10-2012, 03:57 AM
garrell.770
Racer

DBLTRGR, I talk with him several times day and night, don't know if you have ever seen in any of my post but I owe my survival and my ongoing recovery to:
God, my family, and my love of cars in that order.
Garrell
Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
hoosiervette
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Silverback51
First and formost, thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Then something for you to think about.

Vowing to never put them in a nursing facility may not be the best for them.

Nursing homes are not what they were 30 years ago, where they were nothing more than a storage facility and the majority of the people working there could care less about them.

My mother is 93 and up until 6 months ago was living on her own in a retirement complex. She ended up in the hospital due to not taking medications, eating wrong, etc. Doctors said she needed assisted living. We found an assisted living apartment complex that is clean, and the people working there are great.

Believe me, she probably has better care there than if she lived with us. Not because we would not try, but I still work and my wife has to go about 40 miles away once or twice a week to help our her mother. There was no way we could leave my mom alone. Plus, we do have our lives to live also.

So take a look and determine if you are helping them or not. Every situation is different, but you may be surprised.

Best of luck to you.
I will continue to pray for you and your family. Don't sacrifice your health to take care of them in your home. It would be better if you could spend time with them and let someone else do the bulk of the work.
Good luck with your trip to Ohio.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 AM
DFOR
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Positive thoughts are with you and your parents. Hope you keep getting positive results.

Quick Reply: To all my friends re:Don't let them sit