Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are young guys into cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

LOL sadly ive been asked if my car has a V8.....SMH.....
Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I deal with young folks almost every day. I retired in 2008 and now am a substitute teacher for middle school as well as high school. Believe me, there are plenty of young car guys out there. When they found out I have a Corvette, they started sharing their car stories with me. I enjoy talking with them. Some of them are impressive with how much they know.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

In contrast,

I've had MANY conversations with the "elderly" about Corvettes or fast cars..and for the most part they love to go on about how fast their C4 LT1 is, or their stock 99 auto, etc...especially when compared to anything I have. Clearly they love their car, but honestly they don't have a clue about it, and make it out to be something much more than it is. It is very annoying when we both may share a same interest (Corvette) but they are yammering about stuff that isn't really true and I'm trying to be polite and not seem like a young know-it-all...

An enthusiast is an enthusiast regardless of age, gender, or ability. I love enthusiasts...but don't care much for the simple "owners."
Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
An enthusiast is an enthusiast regardless of age, gender, or ability. I love enthusiasts...but don't care much for the simple "owners."

At 54, I am with you Birdman! Didn't get a "fast car" again until age 48. The enthusiasts are ageless,,,,and some of us are becoming more and more fearless as we learn the chances to take chances are running out!

Some of us older guys get real young when a Rustang pulls up next to us at the light, especially at the drag strip!

Not afraid to lose, only afraid to not try to win!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I'm 17 and have been a car guy ever since I first rode in my dad's '98 C5 coupe, at the time I was about 5 or 6 years old.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
white22
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely a young guy here at 22. I consider myself a car guy. Grew up going to car shows with my dad, riding in his 68 candy apple red mustang. Knew the ins and out of an engine by the time I was in high school. My equal passion is motorcycles considering I grew up going on motorcycle tours and such and have already had a few bikes. But I worked my a$$ of to get into my c5 and love every bit of the 350 ls1 power. I, personally, would trade it in in a heart beat for an older model classic that I could drive everyday but enjoy the reliability the vette has given me. A lot of guys my age and much younger now are all about the ricers and excessively big trucks. A lot wouldn't be able to tell you where a camshaft sits or what a four barrel carb is. Nevertheless, I enjoy constantly learning about cars and just enjoy the simple things, like just enjoying to drive my car daily and more importantly just being a "car" guy and meeting guys who share the same passion.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 PM
michaelfrench
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 21 and am really into cars. I've had a 1999 trans am, did a heads cam on it and later a 402 ls2. A cam only 1998 camaro z28 that went 11.6's w/ 1.4 60ft, and just 6 months ago bought my first corvette. 2002 eb zo6. Did heads full exhaust and cam already with clutch, diff, and all supporting mods....
You tell me.... Am I a car guy? Lol
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 PM
TRAVR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrose7004
If they're into cars it's Honda's and Toyota's and such. Definately not American V8's.
Because thy can't afford the gas.

You can make a honda civic go pretty quick and still get 35 mpg.

I have been a bike guy since about 5. 35 now and just got my first Vette.
I must say it is pretty slow compared to any newer sport bike.
I love the handling and feel of the vette though.
Never really been too much of a car guy though
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was car krazy as alittle crumb snatcher. I use to get yelled at in elementary school from my teacher for my micro machines. Grew up around race cars thanks to my father, hopefully my daughter will pay more attention in school. lol. Jay
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 PM
427TTA4
Instructor

Well I am 22 and been here since I first bought my vette and finished paying it off but I dont care what age we all are All I know is we have something in common "Corvettes!!"
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by 427TTA4
Well I am 22 and been here since I first bought my vette and finished paying it off but I dont care what age we all are All I know is we have something in common "Corvettes!!"
Old 02-03-2012, 12:07 AM
RubiconMike
Intermediate

I'm one of the "old guys" that grew up in the '60s and '70s when American muscle cars were cheap and plentiful. My first car was a '65 GTO for which I paid the princely sum of $770. Today a clean copy of that car would sell for $25 ~ $30 grand - is it any surprise that kids today aren't driving American muscle cars? Even grandma cars like a Tempest or Malibu is getting $8 ~ $10 grand.

The cheap cars today with lots of aftermarket parts are the "ricers" as us old guys like to call them. My nephew bought a Honda Civic, dropped in an Acura motor, lowered the suspension, and runs around having every bit as much fun as I did back in my day in the GTO.

My nephew would love to have a Corvette, but he can't afford one any more than I could when I was his age. I think a sign of getting old is when you forget that you were young once, too.

Is a "ricer" with "fart can" exhaust any more annoying than I was with glass packs on my GTO? I can tell you for sure that my nephew's Honda will turn corners and stop far better than my old 'Goat ever did. So who's really driving the better car?

We're all gear heads, whether we drive American muscle cars, vintage British sports cars, hyper Japanese cars, 4X4s, or hybrids. (OK, not Prius drivers). Let's not be so smug because we were lucky enough to be young when cheap muscle cars and even cheaper gas were the norm. If I was a teenager today, I'd probably be driving exactly the same kind of car my nephew does, and loving it just as much as I do driving my Z06 today.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dcandel
When I was a kid (I'm 69 now), growing up in the '50's and '60's, I knew every engine/transmission & go-fast option Chevrolet offered for every year.
AND, you were(pick one or more) happy, surprised, grateful or amazed that your first $200 car started and continued to run!!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 1st car was a 1996 Mustang when I was 18. Mustang GT at age 19. Other cars in between. Corvette the day of my 24th b-Day, and I'm 28 right now.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by RubiconMike
I'm one of the "old guys" that grew up in the '60s and '70s when American muscle cars were cheap and plentiful. My first car was a '65 GTO for which I paid the princely sum of $770. Today a clean copy of that car would sell for $25 ~ $30 grand - is it any surprise that kids today aren't driving American muscle cars? Even grandma cars like a Tempest or Malibu is getting $8 ~ $10 grand.

The cheap cars today with lots of aftermarket parts are the "ricers" as us old guys like to call them. My nephew bought a Honda Civic, dropped in an Acura motor, lowered the suspension, and runs around having every bit as much fun as I did back in my day in the GTO.

My nephew would love to have a Corvette, but he can't afford one any more than I could when I was his age. I think a sign of getting old is when you forget that you were young once, too.

Is a "ricer" with "fart can" exhaust any more annoying than I was with glass packs on my GTO? I can tell you for sure that my nephew's Honda will turn corners and stop far better than my old 'Goat ever did. So who's really driving the better car?

We're all gear heads, whether we drive American muscle cars, vintage British sports cars, hyper Japanese cars, 4X4s, or hybrids. (OK, not Prius drivers). Let's not be so smug because we were lucky enough to be young when cheap muscle cars and even cheaper gas were the norm. If I was a teenager today, I'd probably be driving exactly the same kind of car my nephew does, and loving it just as much as I do driving my Z06 today.
I also grew up during the muscle car era. Cars have always fascinated me, regardless of their make. I consider myself a "car guy" which isn't to be confused with a Corvette guy. Any day around cars is a great day for me.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Jay_Rich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAVR6
I must say it is pretty slow compared to any newer sport bike.
Lets see 340hp and 3200lbs or 180hp and 450lbs what will be faster hahaha.

New sport bikes are insane. When I was first going to buy a project car and said screw it and went through a few sport bikes.
96 ZX6R
99 GSXR750 (traded for my iroc)
00 GSXR750 (bought bc I was gonna sell the iroc, but then couldnt do it haha. I pull the the driveway on a new bike and my mom was like wtf. I lived at home still and had 2 cars and a bike at the age of 22.

Sold the 00 GSXR to buy a house and kept the camaro until i decided to part it last winter and buy my FRC

Jay
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure they are, youngs guys are simply into younger cars. I'm not that old myself at 33, but I have a few younger buddies who have imports but are just as much a gear head as I was at the same age.

For instance, one of my buddies is my boss's son who is in his low 20s. I've known him since he was like 12. I used to help him wrench on his go-cart and now I've been helping him assemble the engine for his integra. This car is no typical ricer. Its got a sleeved and o-ringed LS block, forged rods and pistons, V-tec head, huge cams, edelbrock intake manifold, billet throttlebody, ARP fasteners throughout, topped off with a 62mm turbo. We've spent the last few days assembling this engine to perfection. Rings filed, bearings plastiguaged and spec'd to tolerances of ten-thousandths. Car will make 650whp on pump gas and 750-800whp on E85 in a car that weighs >2500lbs.

Tell me that doesn't sound like a car guy

Get notified of new replies

To Are young guys into cars?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I think there are still a lot of young guys that really get into cars - we have a local cruise night each month and there are a lot of young owners that show up with their cars. And they seem pretty knowledgeable about the cars too. Of course, they may be into electronic gizmos too.

One of my grandsons (age 3) is crazy about cars - has a huge collection of Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars and points out any looking vehicles when riding in a car. Kind of hope he keeps that passion for autos as he gets older. In the meantime, every time I visit he breaks out the cars for us to play with.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
In contrast,

I've had MANY conversations with the "elderly" about Corvettes or fast cars..and for the most part they love to go on about how fast their C4 LT1 is, or their stock 99 auto, etc...especially when compared to anything I have. Clearly they love their car, but honestly they don't have a clue about it, and make it out to be something much more than it is. It is very annoying when we both may share a same interest (Corvette) but they are yammering about stuff that isn't really true and I'm trying to be polite and not seem like a young know-it-all...

I had a similar experiance. I'm 59 and recently ran into an older fella I know with a C3. I was showing him pictures of the progress on my 99. He saw the brakes and was insisting it had a performance suspension and brake package...yeah I wish. It has the F45 and someone painted the calipers red and put drilled slotted rotors on. I just let it go since it wasn't worth argueing about.

Now this fella also has a 55 Chevy and goes to all the cruises and car shows. So I guess he would qualify as a car guy but just doesn't know a lot about C5s.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Dag Skagney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 3 sons from 41 to 30 and 5 grandsons from 20 to 2 - they are all car guys with only 1 ricer in the bunch - even the 2 year old can't get enough of pawpaw's vette

Quick Reply: Are young guys into cars?