Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi's new LED headlights retrofitted to the C5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 01silvercoupe
It looks like audi is using 4 smaller projectors per headlight. Why would that be? Maybe 4 500 lumen LEDs that can equal the output of an HID bulb?
This would be something to look into for the SLC V2 headlights I offer as part of the hyper-vision package.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Phace
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these headlights already on the road?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Yhplar
2nd Gear

The 2014 corolla will have Led headlights I don't think the C7 got them yet. http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...olla+june6.htm
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM
FLHTK103
Intermediate

Default LED headlights

I have LEDs on my Harley. Both the headlight and the driving lights. They totally beat the standard halogen lights. I illuminate road signs well more than a mile down the road. My vision both on the road and on the sides of the road are FAR superior. Much safer than the standard lights for avoiding dangers particularly important to a biker. (deer, armadillos,etc) This is accomplished with only one light.
I would love to see the LEDs on my C5. With two lights instead of one, it should be really fantastic. The projector pattern of the LEDs is a matter for concern on a bike since you lean into curves and loose some of the road. That effect would disappear in a car that does not lean.
I do not have any experience with the HIDs. I can't say how they would compare to LEDs.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM
djmlax89
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Phace
No matter the method, it seems Audi has a solution they are comfortable selling, that is both bright and long-lasting. I'd like to know what it is and see if it can be adapted to our purposes.
I'd personally wait and see regarding the durability. Long-lasting for Audi has a tendency to mean until the warranty runs out.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by djmlax89
I'd personally wait and see regarding the durability. Long-lasting for Audi has a tendency to mean until the warranty runs out.
The R8 has had them since it came out, not seen any issues with it.

I highly suggest everyone watch some of the 24 Hours of Lemans (June 22nd/23rd on Speed and your PC) and see what Audi's LED Headlights are about in Racing on the Audi R-18 E-Tron+ Quattro Oil Burners. This will be their 3rd or 4th year with these headlights and they blow every car away with how far and how bright they light up the road in the middle of the French night...

Quick Reply: Audi's new LED headlights retrofitted to the C5?