Sponsored by:

How easy do the go pro adhesive mounts come off

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Vetteriffic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy do the go pro adhesive mounts come off

How are they removed and do they hurt the paint or finish...thanks...and I am nervous about losing my camera with the suction mount....as I wouldn't know where it fell off if it did....

Last edited by Vetteriffic; 02-07-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteriffic
How are they removed and do they hurt the paint or finish...thanks...and I am nervous about losing my camera with the suction mount....as I wouldn't know where it fell off if it did....
Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

This might help a little.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-mount-it.html

While I haven't bought one yet, I've yet to hear of anyone who has had any problems with either losing suction or leaving marks.

Hmmm.. in a different forum, that sounds nasty....
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I am pretty sure the suction mounts are rated for well over 150MPH.
I have yet to hear one fall off. When I mount mine, there is no way to release it by pulling on it no matter how hard I try.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 AM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I'd use the adhesive mounts on anything other than glass. They are much weaker than the suction cup anyway if the cup is used properly. This means on CLEAN glass or body panels, no grease or oil, pressed all the way down and locked.

I've run to 160mph with my GoPro facing backwards on the rear glass with no problems. I've had it on body panels as well at that speed. No problem.

I made a safety line out of P-Cord, tied it solidly through the base of the mount, then the other end around a tennis ball that I secured inside the trunk with the cord going out through the molding. If the mount breaks off the camera should at least stay with the car. I'm not so worried about losing the camera, more worried about killing somebody around me with a 160mph flying camera...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueTeamZ06
I don't think I'd use the adhesive mounts on anything other than glass. They are much weaker than the suction cup anyway if the cup is used properly. This means on CLEAN glass or body panels, no grease or oil, pressed all the way down and locked.

I've run to 160mph with my GoPro facing backwards on the rear glass with no problems. I've had it on body panels as well at that speed. No problem.

I made a safety line out of P-Cord, tied it solidly through the base of the mount, then the other end around a tennis ball that I secured inside the trunk with the cord going out through the molding. If the mount breaks off the camera should at least stay with the car. I'm not so worried about losing the camera, more worried about killing somebody around me with a 160mph flying camera...
Excellent idea. I plan to have one soon and I will use this idea. I want the camera to drop away from the car if it comes loose, but not touch the ground.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tethering your GoPro is an excellent idea if you plan on using it in places where it could hurt someone or something if it falls off. I've used the suction mount (tethered with fishing line or shoe laces) under some extreme conditions with my Jeep and on my vette without having it come off...but, you never know. There are a few GoPro forums out there where users report that if something is going to break, it will be the mounting lugs on the case. They recommend tethering to the case, not the suction cup or other mount. I've used the tennis ball under the coupe hatch and it is very simple and effective. Same can be done if mounting up front on the hood, or gas filler door, you just need something smaller.

One of the best purchases for your GoPro IMO is the tripod adapter.

It will let you mount your camera to anything that uses a standard 1/4 20 tripod screw...and there are so many devices using that. You can even go to the hardware store and pick up 1/4 20 screws and make your own mount.

Delkin makes a great double suction cup mount that will hold larger cameras as well, and is jointed to conform to curves much better. I've used mine to mount a full sized DSLR to shoot with a wireless remote and had no issues at all with it. The GoPro is perfect with this mount as it is so light.
Delkin Fat Gecko

I also use my GoPro with the Pedco Ultra Clamp which is very handy for mounting to windows, door handles, roof racks, etc., on a chase car or on my Jeep in the mud or snow.
Pedco Ultra Clamp

Lastly, if your concerned about scratches if the GoPro comes loose and dangles from your tether, this company makes some neat silicone cases in all different colors (some of the brighter ones may make finding the camera easier if it rolls off the street into the weeds). The big auction site has these as well with a case that will cover the extended back if you are using the LCD.

Xsories.com Silicone covers:

Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Jeff, this was not my thread, but wow, awesome information and thank you very much. I lost my BIL's GoPro in Lake Travis while knee boarding and cannot afford to repeat another loss. No, there was no float attached to it.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I have used the GoPro suction mount a many of times with out any issue, I do however put a lanyard on it hooked around my mirror just in case.
Mr.Bill
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Vetteriffic
Pro

Great info...thanks so much everyone....always a wealth of info and people who want to help on here
Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Name:  DSC_8786.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  88.3 KB
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Vetteriffic
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Thanks Mr Bill....I try that one today
Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

How do you guys know what your filming sice you don't have a display?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chicago1
How do you guys know what your filming sice you don't have a display?
That really isn't an issue seeing the GoPro has such a wide angle of view, Or you can do as I did, buy a view finder for it.
Mr.Bill

Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Thanks for teh info Mr.Bill I'm looking athe Go Pro and the Go Pro 2 and seeing what would be the better fit.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

to all the people saying they never heard of a go pro suction cup mount failing ... now you have. It was secured for well over 2 hours of driving and somewhere in a 30 mile stretch between mountains it fell off and I never was able to find it. I contacted go pro about it and got the run around for about a month before I gave up on them. I loved the go pro camera but I will not get another (i still have 1 more old one left I had 2 at the time).

And before people say it wasnt put on correctly thats bs, the thing was on tight and working well for 2 hours before it failed. I suspect the temperature change going from 70-40-70 degrees played a role in the failure of the suction cup.

I have also used the curved adhesive mounts (ones used for helmets) on 2 cars with no problems. The curvature of the mount means it fits the curvature of the car much better with more contact patch. I would assume since its just 3m adhesive it should come off just like BSM's do.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bakerking31
to all the people saying they never heard of a go pro suction cup mount failing ... now you have. It was secured for well over 2 hours of driving and somewhere in a 30 mile stretch between mountains it fell off and I never was able to find it. I contacted go pro about it and got the run around for about a month before I gave up on them. I loved the go pro camera but I will not get another (i still have 1 more old one left I had 2 at the time).

And before people say it wasnt put on correctly thats bs, the thing was on tight and working well for 2 hours before it failed. I suspect the temperature change going from 70-40-70 degrees played a role in the failure of the suction cup.

I have also used the curved adhesive mounts (ones used for helmets) on 2 cars with no problems. The curvature of the mount means it fits the curvature of the car much better with more contact patch. I would assume since its just 3m adhesive it should come off just like BSM's do.
Did you really expect them to do something about it? There are too many variables involved., Too late now, But maybe you should of tethered it? Sorry you lost your cam. Where does owner responsibility come to play?
Mr.Bill

Get notified of new replies

To How easy do the go pro adhesive mounts come off

Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No I didnt. But plain and simple their product didnt work as advertised and that lead to the loss of my camera.

as for the tether, if it was in the instructions I would have done it.

I followed their instructions and their product failed, I dont think theres too much room for owner responsibility.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

I learned long time ago being into photography that when I have money hanging I take special precautions. One has to look at the install and say to himself, What if.. Last thing I want to happen is lose my photo gear because of something I could of prevented.
I would never leave my gear hanging on the outside of my car for 2 hours, At most 15 mins and then I check it, That is just me.

Last edited by Mr.Bill; 02-07-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 AM
CBZZZC5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GO PRO is great and I doubt you need to worry about the suction mount not holding.

Quick Reply: How easy do the go pro adhesive mounts come off