Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"I wish I could afford a car like that"....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"bring your Corvette to work day" today @ the PD HQ...this picture was followed by a long discussion between my co-worker and I about the looks folks were giving us in the parking lot...one lady even had the nerve to say "they must really be paying y'all too much"...?????...well for his c6Z, maybe...lol

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HEY!! Shhhh...cant tell everyone our lil secret. Only the cute waitresses. let everyone else think you're ballin. haha

fyi there is a yellow c6z06 with around 45k miles and some nice bolt ons locally to me for only $36k. Its REALLY hard not to blow my load on this car. I figure my wife will notice it in the garage tho. cant miss the yellow
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
jdub2k5
Instructor

Originally Posted by grumblebear
last spring my 99' caravan got sickly, 350k, and so I started looking at cars... Cash for clunkers drove up most used car prices... I heard a rumor Vettes were affordable...
I found my 99' coupe for 13k last spring, it needed tires...

before I bought it, I called my insurance agent to get a quote... expecting the worst... full coverage, 1k deductible, was 50 dollars less than my caravan...

and then when I was getting better all around gas mileage than the minivan... I've been hooked
I also expected insurance to be insane I pay 70 a month on an 05 mini cooper s convertible 6 speed... I went to look at vettes found one and called my insurance company said I found a 02 targa 28k miles and she told me its gonna be 66 a month for insurance..

I said 66 more?
no 66 total a month for full coverage
Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 AM
orangeclaw
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmaleck
I get crap daily about my Z06, Especially Being an A1C coming through the gate to the base...if only they knew i only paid 11k for it....lol
I just put on SrA and have a Z06 i just bought waiting for me at my parents house for when i leave japan! (march 6th) cant wait to drive my new car and get crazy looks haha!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:29 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I bought my 03z in october with NO intentions of driving it to work for all the reasons you all have listed. I already work with plenty of jealous, bitter people. Thats all I need is to roll up in a bright yellow c5z....lol. Id never hear the end of it. I didnt buy it as a dd anyway, I have two kids that I take to and from school everyday, thats what my 08 trailblazer is for. I hear people I work with bitch about this billl and that bill all the time and how they cant make ends meet. I dont need them thinking I'm selling drugs on the side or something. Besides, I bought it because it was something I've dreamed of owning for years and it makes me happy, I certainly didnt buy it to impress anyone at work.

Last edited by MY03C5Z; 02-24-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My gas mileage is low compared to some of you guys at 18-20 combined city/hiway. I'm sure that my 3.90's aren't helping my mpgs and my tune needs tweeking
Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM
jdub2k5
Instructor

I dont drive mine to work because I am a trucker that parks in abandoned parking lot with about 100 other truckers.

with no security and me being gone 2 weeks at a time, I believe my car will be keyed or stolen in a heartbeat
Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I love the fact that most people think are cars are still very expensive.

One guy in fact basically accused me of lying when I told him my (2004) Corvette was 8 years old. He thought it was brand new!
I also have a '04 MSG convertible, 1 fellow told me that I had a customized paint job and should be in the "modified" class. Said he was a Corvette owner also.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Kman1971
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by countylawdog
I also have a '04 MSG convertible, 1 fellow told me that I had a customized paint job and should be in the "modified" class. Said he was a Corvette owner also.
MSG has that effect on people. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 PM
mjwitte
Heel & Toe

I avoided driving my convertible to work for a while after we brought it home just because of opinions like this. I got a lot of the same comments I have heard here until I started asking people how much they spent for their motorcycles. Several of my co-workers spent more money for motorcycles than I spent on my 2003 convertible last spring.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeclaw
I just put on SrA and have a Z06 i just bought waiting for me at my parents house for when i leave japan! (march 6th) cant wait to drive my new car and get crazy looks haha!

Congrats on the buy! You will get **** atleast 3 times a week coming threw the gate...and then countless times during the day....and then going home...and then your neighbors....then repeat like groundhogs day lol.
Where are you getting stationed after japan?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
People just don't realize how much these cars have improved over the years. Gas mileage is amazing, the performance is a bargain compared to most cars and the affordability is better than ever. For all its capabilities, the C5 makes for one heck of an economy car.
My dream car was always an XK-E. Probably still is, but the reality of owning one, or a 911, which I quickly learned was out of my reach helped me realize I still wanted to drive a big American V-8. For me, nothing automotive sounds as good. After loving all types of cars for over 55 years, I realized my dream with my Z. The secondary effect of this is that I now understand I was trying to 'fill a hole' by having a really cool car, but never did because of the need to be practical for a variety of reasons. Trouble is, I kept trying to make most of my cars something they weren't...which was special. Enhancements, minor mods, yet rarely did I hear things like "cool car". These wonderful fiberglass beauties SCREAM special, and when a 10 year old kid walks by with his Mom and she tells me "he loves Corvettes" and I tell him all about it, that it's 10 years old, and let him sit in it, the look on his face tells it all. I'm so glad I 'backed into' Corvette ownership....just keeps me smilin'.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

I went to my first Corvette Club meeting last week. One member has a new ZR1. "I wish I could afford a car like that!"
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 PM
DBLTRGR
Racer

Most folks think I'm wealthy because I'm a pilot (bus drivers make more) and the beautiful C5 I own doesn't help! If I were younger, and single, I'd take full advantage of the situation... When I'm away from home on a trip I constantly think of the beauty at home... in the garage! Ha ha! You guys tell me wife I said that and I'm dead meat.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 AM
orangeclaw
Instructor

Originally Posted by chasboy
:when a 10 year old kid walks by with his Mom and she tells me "he loves Corvettes" and I tell him all about it, that it's 10 years old, and let him sit in it, the look on his face tells it all.
I was 10 when i first told me mom i loved corvettes! lol i would pretend i was sick so she would take me to the dealership with her and i could sit in the vette all day!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 AM
orangeclaw
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmaleck
Congrats on the buy! You will get **** atleast 3 times a week coming threw the gate...and then countless times during the day....and then going home...and then your neighbors....then repeat like groundhogs day lol.
Where are you getting stationed after japan?
haha ok ill be ready for it, i would get the same **** for owning a 98 c230 mercedes just cuz it "looked brand new".. im going to dyess AFB in texas. where are you stationed?

Quick Reply: "I wish I could afford a car like that"....