Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great! I will eventually go back to pop ups with these like I should have the first time.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

great work!!!! i would love a plug and play, pop up, cost effective option like this. i have hid's in my stock housing and they are no bueno. also hate the fact that on occasion i have to turn them on off on to get both of them to come on.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

So what was the total cost? OR what would it cost to someone who wants to duplicate this mod?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 AM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
The projectors used are actually made for HID (D1S). The manufacturer offered them with halogen bulbs to get the prices down on them. The projector optics were not changed.

For those that don't know these were originally offered with D1S bulbs and Phillips ballasts.

Cool DIY though.
Ahh, that must have been before ACA sold off their molds to the current supplier. Good to know, maybe I can find a good home for the projectors I pulled out of these then, or retrofit them into someone elses car. I still like the beam pattern of the FX-R and having bi-xenons though.

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
Nice setup.

You need to adjust your passenger side down a little. The Left part of the cutoff from each headlight should line up like so (reference the top):
Yea, I know. Michigan has tons of critters both big and small that love to jump out in front of cars, so I like to have my PS light just a touch higher so I can see a bit farther out into the trees when I can't use my high beams.

Originally Posted by algZO6
great work!!!! i would love a plug and play, pop up, cost effective option like this. i have hid's in my stock housing and they are no bueno. also hate the fact that on occasion i have to turn them on off on to get both of them to come on.
Thanks! Sounds like you either have bad wiring, bad bulb, or need a new ballast. Try swapping bulbs and see if the same sided has issues turning on

Originally Posted by chasboy
So what was the total cost? OR what would it cost to someone who wants to duplicate this mod?
Costs for me were posted in one of my earlier posts. As I mentioned, you can save money by going to aftermarket brand bulbs.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewlfd
Then find 4 screws long enough to go through the housing and mount secure into the headlight housing and screw them in.

Matthew:

Concerning the holes you drilled in the projector, to mount in the housing...... Are they the Phillips screws I can see in there ? I can only see two screws in this pic at this angle. I assume you made a template of the 4 ACA mounting holes, and transferred that to the new projector to drill ? Id hate to make a mistake at this part of the procedure.

Thanks again.... I have all your pics and details saved to an Excel file... Got me stoked for a new Mod....

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 02-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Toque
Matthew:

Concerning the hoes you drilled in the projector, to mount in the housing...... Are they the Phillips screws I can see in there ? I can only see two screws in this pic at this angle. I assume you made a template of the 4 ACA mounting holes, and transferred that to the new projector to drill ? Id hate to make a mistake at this part of the procedure.

Thanks again.... I have all your pics and details saved to an Excel file... Got me stoked for a new Mod....

Toque
Mark, You crack me up....
Mr.Bill
Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Mark, You crack me up....
Mr.Bill
Woops.... Thanks Bill.... Fixed it.

It was not meant to be a personal question Matthew...

Toque
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Matthew:

Concerning the holes you drilled in the projector, to mount in the housing...... Are they the Phillips screws I can see in there ? I can only see two screws in this pic at this angle. I assume you made a template of the 4 ACA mounting holes, and transferred that to the new projector to drill ? Id hate to make a mistake at this part of the procedure.

Toque
Yup, those are the two hidden phillips screws. I meant to take a pictures of the uppers, but must have missed that. The uppers will require you to grind out a step in the cut off shield support as well to clear the head of the screw. A simple pass with a dremel will accomplish this. But honestly, the projector was in there solid enough with just the two holes it probably would have been fine.

I more eyeballed the holes with a little larger drill bit since I wanted to have some rotational adjustment after I was done.

Woops.... Thanks Bill.... Fixed it.

It was not meant to be a personal question Matthew...

Toque
Hahaha...no, I was alone when I did this. I think the wife would have some issues with my DIYs if that was one of the steps.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn you! i want now lol
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Because low beam HIDs have a cut off point. To go further you need high beams. Luckily for me in Dallas most streets are lit up so high beams are not needed. My low beams are amazing though.

Toque
Yes I am very aware of how ACAs work having run them since 2006. I have driven my vette with ACAs in over 25 states in all types of weather and never needed high beams to see well. I also run 55 Watt HIDs in my fogs.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jrprich
Yes I am very aware of how ACAs work having run them since 2006. I have driven my vette with ACAs in over 25 states in all types of weather and never needed high beams to see well. I also run 55 Watt HIDs in my fogs.
At higher speeds I like to have the light really shining as far out as possible. I dont want to over drive my lights.

Toque
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
99MALLETT396
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the new projectors sealed from any foreign objects just like the oreginal ones?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by 99MALLETT396
Are the new projectors sealed from any foreign objects just like the oreginal ones?
No, they aren't 100% weatherproof. I've had them mounted like this (open in the back) in my old Talon, but they were fixed headlights.

I was thinking about either getting some rubber PVC reducers to cap off the back and protect the solenoid, but haven't messed with it. I don't see myself driving through torrential rainstorms in this car so I doubt it'll be a major issue.

Either that or cut the inside bladder of a football in half and seal the projectors that way. Haven't decided yet. When it gets nicer outside, I'll take them out and play with some ideas.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM
kingrobby25
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw on theretrosource sight that they had a new version of your projectors. FRX 3.0 instead of 1.1. Not sure what the difference is though.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewlfd
No, they aren't 100% weatherproof. I've had them mounted like this (open in the back) in my old Talon, but they were fixed headlights.

I was thinking about either getting some rubber PVC reducers to cap off the back and protect the solenoid, but haven't messed with it. I don't see myself driving through torrential rainstorms in this car so I doubt it'll be a major issue.

Either that or cut the inside bladder of a football in half and seal the projectors that way. Haven't decided yet. When it gets nicer outside, I'll take them out and play with some ideas.
Nice retro-fit, well done man!!
I'm currently using a set of the FX-R for bi-xenon r/d with my headlights.
I still need to find a simple way to seal the solenoid area to finish that setup.
Here's a thread worth sharing from kindred spirit mcgilles that address' the FX-R solenoid...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...and-video.html
Check out post #28, might help you with ideas.

Again, nice work!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
I'm curious what you had in mind. I might be able to help.
I'm a fan of flip lights and a big fan of the lower opening versions currently in production by members of this forum. However, I'm not a fan of exposed dual projectors without a lens in front. My ideal headlight would be very similar to the ACA's actually but instead of a round halogen section, I'd like it to be a bit more rectangular.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I started looking around for any headlights that looked similar to what I had in mind. I found these Nissan R31 headlights with the overall look of what I'd like, a lens with both halogen and projector. Though these are a bit dated and I knew I'd want them much narrower.

So I kept poking around and found a set that were a bit closer to what I like and began my first attempt at photoshopping. Now please keep in mind that I'm not that great but here's what I came up with

And I'd like to thank JRC27 for his photo from the "Lower Opening Projector" thread because I then shopped my work in progress to get a better idea of what they would look like on the C5

A bit rough I know, but that's about it and yes I would have a plastic shroud around the light assembly like the stock setup. It's going to be a long time before I can get the funds together to even start this project, but perhaps by then someone will have made a set similar to these that I could end up buying.

George, let me know what you think.

Last edited by nvusgt; 02-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtndv8
Nice retro-fit, well done man!!
I'm currently using a set of the FX-R for bi-xenon r/d with my headlights.
I still need to find a simple way to seal the solenoid area to finish that setup.
Here's a thread worth sharing from kindred spirit mcgilles that address' the FX-R solenoid...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...and-video.html
Check out post #28, might help you with ideas.

Again, nice work!

Thanks! I'm more worried about fogging on the inside of the lens than the solenoid, so I'd like to seal up everything. Plus, I would never run a bare lens...that's just asking for trouble. A few drops of rain and those lenses could crack in half.

I don't drive the car in rain, but I'd like to know that if I had to drive through a rainstorm, I could.

Originally Posted by nvusgt
I'm a fan of flip lights and a big fan of the lower opening versions currently in production by members of this forum. However, I'm not a fan of exposed dual projectors without a lens in front. My ideal headlight would be very similar to the ACA's actually but instead of a round halogen section, I'd like it to be a bit more rectangular.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I started looking around for any headlights that looked similar to what I had in mind. I found these Nissan R31 headlights with the overall look of what I'd like, a lens with both halogen and projector. Though these are a bit dated and I knew I'd want them much narrower.

So I kept poking around and found a set that were a bit closer to what I like and began my first attempt at photoshopping. Now please keep in mind that I'm not that great but here's what I came up with

And I'd like to thank JRC27 for his photo from the "Lower Opening Projector" thread because I then shopped my work in progress to get a better idea of what they would look like on the C5

A bit rough I know, but that's about it and yes I would have a plastic shroud around the light assembly like the stock setup. It's going to be a long time before I can get the funds together to even start this project, but perhaps by then someone will have made a set similar to these that I could end up buying.

George, let me know what you think.
That is 100 % exactly what I was looking for when I was thinking about the retrofit. I wanted a sealed, clear lens, low opening headlight that I can install good HID projector in. Sadly, nobody offered this, so I had to work with what was offered.

I might play around with headlights for other cars that I can adapt to the 'vette if I get bored enough, but for now I'm more than happy with the output, and since the lights are hidden during the day, I am less inclined to mess with it.

If anyone were to offer such a light (even without a D2S projector) I would be very interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings

Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Sweet ride Jim!

Originally Posted by nvusgt

...I'd like to thank JRC27 for his photo from the "Lower Opening Projector" thread because I then shopped my work in progress to get a better idea of what they would look like on the C5

Interesting photoshop.
If you move the bi-xenon projector(s) in-board and fit a slightly smaller rectangular driving light out-board, you'd have an approximation of the headlight system I've been working on this winter.
I have been able to lower the opening height even more than jrc27's picture shows.

"matthewlfd"; I'm truly interested in whether or not you experience any lens fogging. Especially if you decide to seal it completely...

* edit * Forgot to mention I've been running the Hella projector lens' exposed for nearly 30k miles and through most all weather conditions with lots of bugz but no chips, cracks or blemishes to date.

Last edited by mtndv8; 02-28-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Since making the photoshop I've been looking online and irl at all sorts of headlights and even some taillights as a base platform for this project. Even thought of the C6 fog/bumper light (modified of course) for the halogen section.

Not being able to start this project is slightly bothersome.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 AM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wow nice work! I've been away from the forum for a little while being busy, I missed a few great projects.

excellent choice on the FX-R also, I'm using them on my C5 and my other car as well, the performance of them still amazes me.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings