Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings

When I bought my car, it came with a set of 6k HIDs installed in the stock housings, and they were just throwing around light everywhere but where I needed it, so I decided to do a good retrofit. I like the pop ups, so I started to search for clear lens housings to use, but it looks like the ACA style ones are all that is available. The only downside I have heard about them was aim on the high beams...which didn't bother me at all since my goal was to install a set of bi-xenons anyways!

I couldn't really find where anyone retrofitted actual HID projectors in these housings to see what fits and what doesn't, so I just took a stab in the dark. I ordered a set of FX-R 1.1 projectors, 4300K Phillips D2S bulbs, and went to town!

For anyone else looking to do this, here is a shot of how the ACAs look when they come in:

Here is what we have to work with for mounting holes when the stock projector is removed.

It's a really tight fit, but here is the projector squeezed into the stock projector hole. The solenoid for the high beam shield rests on the bottom of the hole, but it doesn't interfere with anything.

Now we have to take the FX-R projector apart to drill the mounting holes in the front housing. Match up the 4 holes to the 4 points on the housing, and drill them out.

Then find 4 screws long enough to go through the housing and mount secure into the headlight housing and screw them in.

All done! Doesn't look any different from this angle.

Installing these into the headlight brackets still requires a bit of trimming, but everything fits in nicely.

One side done:

Both sides:

Output shots will have to wait, all I had for pictures was my cell phone. I'll grab the SLR tomorrow if it's not snowing out. But the beam pattern is wide with even spread of light and a very sharp blue/purple cut-off. Much better than before.

Only thing I have to do now is figure out how I can run both the high and low beams at the same time. I saw one write up where someone wired in a relay to do this...anyone know if I have to have a relay for each headlight?
The following users liked this post:
Plentyfast (05-16-2017)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by matthewlfd
When I bought my car, it came with a set of 6k HIDs installed in the stock housings, and they were just throwing around light everywhere but where I needed it, so I decided to do a good retrofit. I like the pop ups, so I started to search for clear lens housings to use, but it looks like the ACA style ones are all that is available. The only downside I have heard about them was aim on the high beams...which didn't bother me at all since my goal was to install a set of bi-xenons anyways!

I couldn't really find where anyone retrofitted actual HID projectors in these housings to see what fits and what doesn't, so I just took a stab in the dark. I ordered a set of FX-R 1.1 projectors, 4300K Phillips D2S bulbs, and went to town!

For anyone else looking to do this, here is a shot of how the ACAs look when they come in:

Here is what we have to work with for mounting holes when the stock projector is removed.

It's a really tight fit, but here is the projector squeezed into the stock projector hole. The solenoid for the high beam shield rests on the bottom of the hole, but it doesn't interfere with anything.

Now we have to take the FX-R projector apart to drill the mounting holes in the front housing. Match up the 4 holes to the 4 points on the housing, and drill them out.

Then find 4 screws long enough to go through the housing and mount secure into the headlight housing and screw them in.

All done! Doesn't look any different from this angle.

Installing these into the headlight brackets still requires a bit of trimming, but everything fits in nicely.

One side done:

Both sides:

Output shots will have to wait, all I had for pictures was my cell phone. I'll grab the SLR tomorrow if it's not snowing out. But the beam pattern is wide with even spread of light and a very sharp blue/purple cut-off. Much better than before.

Only thing I have to do now is figure out how I can run both the high and low beams at the same time. I saw one write up where someone wired in a relay to do this...anyone know if I have to have a relay for each headlight?
You only need 1 relay, I have a file on how to do it if you want it, Just pm me your e-mail.
Mr.Bill
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

you can get the Hi-4 harness from radioflyer.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 PM
atmsrus1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chasboy
you can get the Hi-4 harness from radioflyer.
I was about to say the same thing, I got one of those a while back.

Russell
Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I've been waiting for someone to do a retrofit on a set of headlights. Tried looking for a set of plain oem style headlights with a clear lens to do this exact thing, but can't seem to find anything. Looks like you came to the same conclusion and settled for a set of ACA's to modify.

I'm def interested in how everything turns out. So far the project looks great man, nice job.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:35 PM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work -- waiting for the performance pics!!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I really like those.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Good job.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
You only need 1 relay, I have a file on how to do it if you want it, Just pm me your e-mail.
Mr.Bill
Good god man. You really needed to quote his entire message to tell him that?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Z-Stallion
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 AM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Thanks guys, Bill sent me the write up on the highs and lows and I'll stop by Radio Shack after work and build the harness. The ACA lights came with a set of full length harnesses, but I don't want to re-run all the headlight wiring just for that.

NVUSGT - That exactly what I was looking for, but it looks like nobody makes just a clear lens stock housing. I figured if the circle look ever bothered me, I could take the clear lens off of the ACA housing and put it on the stock lights and retrofit into that. But the upside about flip-up lights is that they are hidden until I need them at night, so I don't think I'll even bother. The look is growing on me anyways.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow ! Very cool !

Yea I agree... the high beams on the ACA's do suck a lot. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thanks !
Toque
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

LOL, I know I saw that after I posted it.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

The finished job looks great!
I'm curious/confused, however. It didn't look like you did a full replacement of the entire light housing? How much of the stock equipment did you use? Can you give me a ballpark idea of how much the whole deal cost??
Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by chasboy
The finished job looks great!
I'm curious/confused, however. It didn't look like you did a full replacement of the entire light housing? How much of the stock equipment did you use? Can you give me a ballpark idea of how much the whole deal cost??
Thanks!!
The ACA headlight housing you see is a full replacement of the stock headlight housing. What I did was pull out the low beam projector made for a halogen bulb, and swap in a bi-xenon (low & high beam) projector made for OEM D2S HID bulbs.

I've got maybe $600 in the set-up when all is said and done. You could probably go cheaper if you didn't use OEM bulbs.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Here are a couple beam pics. Guess I needed the tripod...they looked better on the small screen. But the view from behind the steering wheel is wonderful! I can enjoy driving at night again!

Low beams

High beams

No glare for oncoming traffic:

Crappy shot at the colorband.

Last edited by matthewlfd; 02-20-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings

Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM
dataporter
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

This looks great! Nice job! I am tempted to do this, too!
Did you get the new headlight assemblies on Ebay? Are the lenses glass or plastic? Was it hard to get the lenses off the back? How did you get the lenses off the back? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Any way you can post up what Mr. Bill sent you? Or for Mr. Bill, can you post it up here?

Those look great.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow thats a great looking cutoff.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings