Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion

Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion

In light of CF member "matthewlfd's" Bi-xenon retrofit in the ACA projector housings, I'm considering offering this both as a conversion service to people's existing lights and at an entire kit with brand new headlights.

Brand new kits would be $600

Conversions to existing headlights would be $275

Note: The conversions I offer would correct the alignment issue between high and low beam that has plagued the ACA design since it's introduction.

Anyone interested?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Would you also fix the "bounce" that apparently plague the ACA's? Never owned a set, just read a few owners mentioning it being an issue.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,179 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I just bought a set of ACAs that I haven't even installed yet. Would definitely be interested if you offered a conversion.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Possibly. Having never owned a set of ACA headlights, I'm not exactly sure what that "bounce" is. From my experience, The bounce people are seeing is something that was always there, but with HID projectors (especially pop up units) is now noticeable because of the sharp cutoff pattern. This is inherent with the pop up design as well as the tight suspension of being a sports car.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Evan70
I just bought a set of ACAs that I haven't even installed yet. Would definitely be interested if you offered a conversion.
If you want to be the first one, I can cut you a promotional deal. If you're interested, send me an email: radioflyer97@gmail.com
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I have a pair of ACA on the way and also would be very interested. Regarding the bounce, forum member Patches has a thread on his fix.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,240 Likes on 1,663 Posts

i have a set of first gen ACAs with the D1S projectors.

will the swap be the same with these housings?

i hate the goddamn bouncing and would love the bi-xenon option.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I have a pair of ACA on the way and also would be very interested. Regarding the bounce, forum member Patches has a thread on his fix.
I believe most of that was related to the D1S bulb mount. I'm not sure if the H9 kits have the same problem.

Originally Posted by jdmvette
i have a set of first gen ACAs with the D1S projectors.

will the swap be the same with these housings?

i hate the goddamn bouncing and would love the bi-xenon option.
I'm almost positive it won't be an issue since the only difference between the D1S version and the H9 version is the bulb mount.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interested...
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I was going too order a set off another vendor, i'm very interested, how long to production if you proceed?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

explain whats being retrofitted here? the ACA looks to have a projector already, you can just do a plug&play hid kit in to it?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by nvusgt
Would you also fix the "bounce" that apparently plague the ACA's? Never owned a set, just read a few owners mentioning it being an issue.
I have ACA lights and never had any bounce issues.
Mr.Bill
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Big Duk
Pro

I'd be in for a set, ready to install!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
I was going too order a set off another vendor, i'm very interested, how long to production if you proceed?
"Evan70" has volunteered to be the first guinea pig for this modification. I anticipate this would take about a week to do and get back to him. If all goes well, I will be shooting for a GP date starting on Monday March 5.

Originally Posted by Alludc
explain whats being retrofitted here? the ACA looks to have a projector already, you can just do a plug&play hid kit in to it?
3 things:
1) the projector I would install is a Bi-xenon projector. The bi-xenon means that the projector is capable of producing both high and low beam patterns by using a very small 12v current to move the cutoff shield. This allows for instantaneous high beams with a wider pattern and virtually no additional current draw over the normal setup.

2) ACA lights were plagued with an alignment issue where the high beam did not line up correctly with the low beam. Since the housing is a single solid unit, the high and low cold not be independently adjusted. Therefore a car with correctly aimed low beams would find the high beams useless. Since I'm installing a new projector, I can correct for this by angling the projector to match where the high beam will hit.

3) The Kit i offer will come with a 55w HID kit. This is the same type of kit used on the mow legendary Light cannon and stealth light cannon headlights. With nearly 3 times the luminosity of the factory halogen bulbs, and with a projector housing specifically designed for this bulb, the result is the ability to see further in the dark resulting increased safety and reduced fatigue.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If offered as a "conversion service" would that mean we had to send our ACA housings to you? Or would the conversion be doable (without undue difficulty) by me?

Would hate to have to park my car while waiting on the conversion service.

The Lizzard
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
If offered as a "conversion service" would that mean we had to send our ACA housings to you? Or would the conversion be doable (without undue difficulty) by me?

Would hate to have to park my car while waiting on the conversion service.

The Lizzard
This will depend on the degree of difficulty in the conversion. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I would be able to send this out with a kit. More than likely, it would consist of a set of adapter plates, Projectors, HID kit, hardware and a complementary Hi4 harness.

If this is possible, there WILL need to be 2 wires tapped into for the bi-xenon feature. From what I see in the H9 ACA kits, there is a small adapter harness for the high beam bulb. You would need to tap into this to get power and ground to the Bi-xenon solenoid. I will include quick-taps to make this a painless procedure.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion

Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by theradioflyer

2) ACA lights were plagued with an alignment issue where the high beam did not line up correctly with the low beam. Since the housing is a single solid unit, the high and low cold not be independently adjusted. Therefore a car with correctly aimed low beams would find the high beams useless. Since I'm installing a new projector, I can correct for this by angling the projector to match where the high beam will
can I assume then that after your conversion the housing would have the high beam of the Bi Xenon bulb as well as the high beam Halogen still in the ACA housing? Would they all align or would the ACA Halogen still be mis aligned?

Last edited by alxltd1; 02-24-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by alxltd1
can I assume then that after your conversion the housing would have the high beam of the Bi Xenon bulb as well as the high beam Halogen still in the ACA housing? Would they all align or would the ACA Halogen still be mis aligned?
Your high beams (both in forward and flash2pass mode) would have both the halogen and bi-xenon for high beams. The halogen high beam at this point serving as more of a signal light than for actual output.

The alignment issue of the high to low will be compensated for and corrected.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

interested! i think i might have asked you a few times before if you were willing to do a conversion for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion