Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to ship my C5 from Japan, EPA decal missing

Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Note of Warning

Merely putting an EPA sticker on the car, will NOT make it compliant if it is in fact a J-Spec car. If it "somehow" makes it to a U.S. port and is discovered as such, it will be impounded and you will either have to re-export it or it will be seized and crushed. You REALLY do need to check out the VIN and option codes to ASSURE yourself what you're dealing with.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
Merely putting an EPA sticker on the car, will NOT make it compliant if it is in fact a J-Spec car. If it "somehow" makes it to a U.S. port and is discovered as such, it will be impounded and you will either have to re-export it or it will be seized and crushed. You REALLY do need to check out the VIN and option codes to ASSURE yourself what you're dealing with.
the owner definitely needs to do his homework on this if he hasn't done so.

There is a lot to it and I wouldn't just slap a sticker on it either

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/docu...027.pdf#page=3

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 03-02-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:54 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

One can only hope he has or it will be a VERY expensive lesson. What keyed me was that he said it had (factory-export only) tow hooks and the Owners Manual was in Japanese. The option codes (RPOs) in the glove box will tell the real tale.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Philscbx
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97

he owes you for this! you're an asset to the forum.
I've seen his classic highend harnesses up close to where if there's a better way of doing it, he went beyond it.

I just had to say I'm a huge Roadrunner fan from the 70's, especially the 70 GTX.
Is their possibly a meaner looking face?
Sad that one got away.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Philscbx
Cruising

Default Vin Reference

I went through his VIN, and nothing poked me in the eye,
but there could be more to it.

http://www.corvette-web-central.com/...INdecoder.html
Old 03-02-2012, 05:08 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

I still believe the key is in the RPO codes, NOT the VIN.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Philscbx
I've seen his classic highend harnesses up close to where if there's a better way of doing it, he went beyond it.

I just had to say I'm a huge Roadrunner fan from the 70's, especially the 70 GTX.
Is their possibly a meaner looking face?
Sad that one got away.
Even sadder what I had to let it go for It was technology that did me in. They were in the process of going electronic with american registrations. so they gave me a temp registration as my permanent reg, expired during the transition. Here's the catch, you could not ship with a temp registration. I was extended once for 30 days to take care of it, but they still weren't completed and I couldn't stay.

I could have left it for someone else to complete but I didn't trust that and didn't want to burden anyone so there you have it.

It wasn't a barn burner. It was a 75, with a double pumping holley and headers. Blue with white stripes. Pretty rare car.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Philscbx
Cruising

I still believe the key is in the RPO codes, NOT the VIN.
Your are correct sir.
NA3 Emission System, Japan.
CV5 Country Code, Japan
VB1 Label, Shipping, Japan
VE1 Provision Options, Japan

We'll have to wait till his side of the planet is ready.

Last edited by Philscbx; 03-02-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: info added
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

More besides those also--for lights, headlights and more. Wish you guys luck but don't paint yourselves into a corner by getting the car here and not being able to bond it and get it released. See another poster's above PDF on the requirements. Used to be relatively easy in the 1980's (although expensive-my 1985 M635CSi cost over $5000 to Federalize THEN), but not so much/impossible now.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Philscbx
Cruising

See another poster's above PDF on the requirements.
1985 M635CSi cost over $5000 to Federalize THEN), .
I recall a friend that had major issue coming from Canada, it was costly.
Thanks much for the PDF EPA form.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Gadget01
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the code decal from the glove box:

1YY07

AAB AG2 AK5 AQ9 BAG BGR B34 B4H B84 CF7 CJ2

CV5 DL8 D42 EXP FE1 F45 G90 G92 IL3 JL4 JL9

K63 LS1 MX0 M30 NA3 NK4 QF3 R7K R9N T62 T85

T90 T93 T96 UK1 UL0 UV6 UV7 UZ6 U1S U19 U52

VB1 VE1 VG1 VG9 VL4 V76 V78 XMC YME 1SA 13U

191 193

BC/CC U 9021 193
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Philscbx
Cruising

I'll forward copy of RPO to the dealer rep I'm working with and see what they advise.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bottom line, looks like it must be done through an Independent Commercial Importer.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/ici-list.htm
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Gadget01
Advanced

The EPA decal, with applied stealth technology:
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

According to the RPO you just posted above, the car is definitely a Japanese emission car, and produced for Japan. Check the laws for importing that into the US before you ship it.

It seems to me as cheap as you can get a C5 in the US nowadays, wouldn't be more prudent just to sell it there before you move and buy one just like it when you get home ?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Gadget01
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvettezman
According to the RPO you just posted above, the car is definitely a Japanese emission car, and produced for Japan. Check the laws for importing that into the US before you ship it.

It seems to me as cheap as you can get a C5 in the US nowadays, wouldn't be more prudent just to sell it there before you move and buy one just like it when you get home ?
It would indeed be a safer bet to sell it here and get another one later.

Shipping this car is an entitlement of my military service, so I don't pay out of pocket. I got a good deal on it (or so I thought at the time) and since put in a significant investment of time, effort and $$ into fixing it up. I've installed over $2,000 in stereo components. If I happen to find a buyer that might appreciate what I've put into it in the next 2 weeks, it would be a no-brainer and problem is solved.

However, I seriously doubt this car has any significant differences from that of any other C5 on the road. Unless I have documentation to back that claim up, my speculation won't be worth much to US Customs.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Philscbx
Cruising

Update:

I received reply back from dealer rep this morning, and this issue is beyond their position as an importer or information regarding it.

Going back to the PDF provided by PhilsFRC in post 22, I grabbed at what ever looked
worthy to search for more and came up with the site that follows.

Difficult to get a straight answer from any of it,
so it will require a phone call, as no email lists are provided to get the information on hand out to someone.

I grabbed a short of what's on the page - http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...al_vehicle.xml
Non-Resident, Returning Military, and Returning Official Government Employee Importations of Personal Vehicle for Personal Use

In Short -

In the case of Military and Civilian Employees of the United States,
the privilege of free entry under subheading 9805.00.50, HTSUS does not apply to "Articles which have not been
in the direct personal possession of the claimant, or a member of his household, while abroad."

In the case of a vehicle, the claimant must have taken possession of and registered the vehicle while overseas.
If proof of registration is not provided, the vehicle is not entitled to free entry pursuant to 9805.00.50 and the
appropriate duties must be assessed and paid.

It may still be possible to import the vehicle, so the mission continues.
There's just too much twisted statements that need clarification.

From the same site - Free Entry
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml

For Foreign-Titled Vehicles
For used, self-propelled vehicles that are registered or titled abroad, the owner must provide to Customs the
original document that provides satisfactory proof of ownership (with an English translation of the text if the
original language is not in English), and two complete copies of that document (and translation, if necessary)

Military and civilian employees of the U.S. government returning at the end of an assignment to extended duty
outside the Customs territory of the U.S. may include a conforming vehicle among their duty-free personal and
household effects.

The auto must have been purchased abroad and be in its owner’s possession prior to departure. Generally,
extended duty is 140 days or more.

Navy personnel serving aboard a U.S. naval vessel or a supporting naval vessel from its departure from the U.S.
to its return after an intended overseas deployment of 120 days or more are entitled to the extended-duty exemption.

Conforming vehicles imported under the duty-free exemption are dutiable if sold within one year of importation.
Duty must be paid at the most convenient Customs office before the sale is completed.
Conforming vehicles so imported may remain in the U.S. indefinitely once a formal entry is made for EPA purposes.

Last edited by Philscbx; 03-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To trying to ship my C5 from Japan, EPA decal missing

Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Gentlemen-the bottom line is this: the car DOES NOT COMPLY with US EPA and DOT/NHTSA regulations--PERIOD. It is not eligible to be imported or Federalized (brought into compliance) due to the year of manufacture. You WILL NOT be able to obtain a bond for it, and it WILL be impounded. When it is impounded you will have one of two choices--re-export it at YOUR cost or have it seized and destroyed. I have experience with the grey market and importing non-complying cars (which no longer exists due to changes in regulation). I'm not trying to sound like a know it all-just save you a BUNCH of grief. Sell it to another service guy there and buy one when you get home. Best advice I can give you.

Last edited by PhilsFRC; 03-03-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Philscbx
Cruising

It is not eligible to be imported or Federalized (brought into compliance) due to the year of manufacture.-.
Sell it to another service guy
I'm sure that's the default process from the start, being the outcome of chance is too high risk.

It would be interesting to get a blank statement from the EPA body on this issue,
so personal attempting the same have the facts up front.

A huge thanks to PhilsFRC for the input on this matter.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Gadget01
Advanced

Agreed, selling it here and washing my hands of it is certainly the safest route and probably what I should do and is my plan B.

However, this car was built on the same assembly line at Bowling Green as every other '99 was but it's RPO coded for Japan export and Japan emissions. What exactly does that mean insofar as actual parts being different? Maybe there's none at all and it's just something on paper to make it legal to be exported to Japan. Perhaps it's similar to being coded for California emissions and has a more restrictive catalytic converter. As you can see in the pic I posted, there was an EPA decal- it's simply missing.

I would just like to know whom to ask at GM that could give me a straight answer, on paper preferably. Perhaps it's just too late in the move game to ask and that's my fault.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trying to ship my C5 from Japan, EPA decal missing