Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shale radio bezel / console questions

Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Shale radio bezel / console questions

1. Is this a tan part painted shale or is it shale through and through?
2. If it is painted, where can I buy paint?
3. If it is painted, has anyone with a shale interior, stripped it down to the tan and put it back in.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Aerovette
1. Is this a tan part painted shale or is it shale through and through?
its not shale its medium dark nuetral in color
the new bezels from GM is colored plastic with no finish on them for the nuetral bezels. Yours will have a finish on it and it will need to be stripped off entire bezel and then repainted. Yours will also need to be retextured as well

2. If it is painted, where can I buy paint?www.paintscratch.com is an option but you will also need a adhesion promoter, texture and flat clear to go over it.
3. If it is painted, has anyone with a shale interior, stripped it down to the tan and put it back in.
about 100 times but we have a special vinyl based paint mixed for us in medium dark nuetral to refinish the bezels
Old 03-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

My bezel/console is perfect except for a couple hits from the seatbelt buckle. I could not tell if it was a scratch through the paint or if it was lighter because it was a scratch. That may not make sense but if it is shale all the way through (from GM) then I can buff the spot out. If it is painted (from GM) than I need to find matching (not close...EXACT match) paint and hit that spot.

As for stripping and installing, I was asking if anyone removed the paint, left it that way, and installed it as the lighter color.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Aerovette
My bezel/console is perfect except for a couple hits from the seatbelt buckle. I could not tell if it was a scratch through the paint or if it was lighter because it was a scratch. That may not make sense but if it is shale all the way through (from GM) then I can buff the spot out. If it is painted (from GM) than I need to find matching (not close...EXACT match) paint and hit that spot.

As for stripping and installing, I was asking if anyone removed the paint, left it that way, and installed it as the lighter color.

your bezel/console is NOT Shale its Medium Dark Nuetral in color
The Shale is the lighter color of your interior.

You will not be able to buff this at all as there is a vinyl or rubberized type finish on it and it will peel off on you.

paintscratch.com is as close as your going to get in a spray can for paint as long as you order Medium Dark Nuetral code not Shale

To remove the finish you will have to sand off or use a chemical which either will leave marks or be discolored

the scratch if discolored is prob into the plastic itself causing the color difference

Last edited by Double D Mods; 03-02-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
your bezel/console is NOT Shale its Medium Dark Nuetral in color
The Shale is the lighter color of your interior.

You will not be able to buff this at all as there is a vinyl or rubberized type finish on it and it will peel off on you.

paintscratch.com is as close as your going to get in a spray can for paint as long as you order Medium Dark Nuetral code not Shale

To remove the finish you will have to sand off or use a chemical which either will leave marks or be discolored

the scratch if discolored is prob into the plastic itself causing the color difference
Wow, I seriously needed an education with my thread. I thought the shale was the dark color and the light color was the same as an oak interior. Duh !. Thanks for the information. The texture is not al all disturbed. It is simply lighter. After closer examination, I see this on the side near the shifter, near the key hole for the console lock and near the seat belt buckle.

I know two things, I didn't see them when I bought the car, and I didn't make them. Somehow it was detailed in a way that hid it enough.

I'll pick up some paint and see what I can do.

Thanks for the info. Feeling kinda stupid about it.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Do you know if I can get this color to spray on a black visor retainer clip, or do you have any Shale colored ones in stock. I know they were discontinued by GM (part # 10314787) and there are a few of us on the Forum looking to replace broken ones on the Anniversary Edition and probably on the Commerative Edition as well. Might be an idea to spray a dozen or so.
Thanks,
Sonny
Old 12-17-2015, 05:41 PM
my62toy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "Shale" Sun Visor Retainer Clip

I realize this is an old thread but it's on target for my needs. I have a broken sun visor retainer clip on the passenger side (GM Part number 1031487) for my 50th Anniversary Corvette and am searching for a replacement. I could paint a black one if necessary. Any one got one to spare? Thank you. Hal
Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

For a replacement sunvisor clip, just go to your local dealer and order one. Less than $5 I believe.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 12-17-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shale radio bezel / console questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shale radio bezel / console questions