Sponsored by:

well it had to happen with my luck.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Did u ever contact michelin?what did they day?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by cwis9992
dude that isnt the tread the tread came off.

I hope no tire ever see's pavement with what effectively is like fabric looking under the tread

i'll take a picture of the tread whenever i get home
The only time I have ever seen or heard of the tread coming completely off of a tire like yours did is with retreads. Is it possible the dealer you bought them from pulled a fast one on you?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 AM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
cwis9992
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewjenk
From your post it looks like you brought the tires used, It could be a misread and you are saying that the tires were on it when you brought the car. But if you brought the tires used, it's a lesson in why not to buy used tires. Did the TPMS work or were they removed...........If removed, another reason not to disable or remove them..............
tpms was glitchy, but still hooked up and functional. and the tires where on the car when i bought it.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
The only time I have ever seen or heard of the tread coming completely off of a tire like yours did is with retreads. Is it possible the dealer you bought them from pulled a fast one on you?
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, tire separation is common these days. These are NOT retreads. The seller didn't "pull a fast one" on him. Do a little research on it...

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/micheli...-verdict-5998/

http://www.smartmotorist.com/driving...ires-fail.html

http://tirefailures.com/tirefailures.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...parations.html

http://www.tiredefects.com/case-resu...k-rollover.cfm

http://www.tiredefects.com/defective...production.cfm

This is just a small sample.

Last edited by AmethystVette; 05-18-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, tire separation is common these days. These are NOT retreads. The seller didn't "pull a fast one" on him. DO a little research on it...
How about we just agree to ignore each other since I obviously did or said something to upset you. I've got better things to do than bump heads with some stranger on the Internet. I'm sorry that I seem to have overlooked your personal postings, but it happens and it's not something to get upset about.

As I said, I, meaning me, myself, and I, and nobody else, has never heard of this type of separation except with retreads. As nobody knows everything, and I've made it abundantly clear that I am new to Vettes and their related "stuff," more understanding and less "jump on the noobs a$$" would be the expected response. Not the "jump on the noobs a$$ just because" that you seem to have set as your personal task.

Considering that, as I now see from the owner's post, the tires were on the car when it was purchased, they could very well BE retreads. It's at least something to consider and look into to avoid the potential of this happening again, regardless of any history of tire separation. Dismissing it out of hand could result in regret later, and besides, I was just trying to help.

Have a pleasant day.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

How about we just agree to ignore each other since I obviously did or said something to upset you. I've got better things to do than bump heads with some stranger on the Internet. I'm sorry that I seem to have overlooked your personal postings, but it happens and it's not something to get upset about.

As I said, I, meaning me, myself, and I, and nobody else, has never heard of this type of separation except with retreads. As nobody knows everything, and I've made it abundantly clear that I am new to Vettes and their related "stuff," more understanding and less "jump on the noobs a$$" would be the expected response. Not the "jump on the noobs a$$ just because" that you seem to have set as your personal task.

Considering that, as I now see from the owner's post, the tires were on the car when it was purchased, they could very well BE retreads. It's at least something to consider and look into to avoid the potential of this happening again, regardless of any history of tire separation. Dismissing it out of hand could result in regret later, and besides, I was just trying to help.

Have a pleasant day.
There was no anger felt or intended towards you, and no anger towards noobs, in fact I didn't even know you were a noob as you put it. Just stating that tires today seem to do this on not just on Vettes. All vehicles are venerable to this problem. I am not even sure you can buy a retread in a tire that size and I would think no speed rated tires would be retreads, but I could be wrong. Retreads today rarely have issues like retreads of old. Either way, do not take offense to something so minor... like you said, it is the internet.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:43 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

happened on my 1977 vette back in the day with the original Firestone 500s - - which I came to find out were recalled because of the issue...

Came out alright - didn't do that much damage and Firestone replaced all 5 tires (spare) and money toward paint....
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Duk
Low pressure = heat = separation.
BOOM

The laws of physics
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by AmethystVette
There was no anger felt or intended towards you, and no anger towards noobs, in fact I didn't even know you were a noob as you put it. Just stating that tires today seem to do this on not just on Vettes. All vehicles are venerable to this problem. I am not even sure you can buy a retread in a tire that size and I would think no speed rated tires would be retreads, but I could be wrong. Retreads today rarely have issues like retreads of old. Either way, do not take offense to something so minor... like you said, it is the internet.
In that case I apologize for the misunderstanding. I'm the first person to admit when I'm wrong, and I honestly have not heard of this being as common as it appears to be. The only incident I've heard about similar to this was the Firestone Firehawk tires that made all the headlines a few years back, which I'd thought at the time was an isolated incident.

As far as what types of tires can be turned into retreads, any kind can. All it takes is for a used tire dealer to take a bunch of old tires to the retread factory and have them "re-treaded." There was a problem with some of the good-ol'-boy tire shops a while back selling retreads as new tires to people who didn't know any better. They got caught because some of the good-ol'-boy used car lots were putting these tires on their cars and telling people they were new.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

I didn't even know that automotive retread tires were still produced. I was aware that they are still made in larger sizes for trucks.
For some reason I thought retreads for cars and light trucks were outlawed a number of years ago.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marine One
I didn't even know that automotive retread tires were still produced. I was aware that they are still made in larger sizes for trucks.
For some reason I thought retreads for cars and light trucks were outlawed a number of years ago.
Must be a state-to-state thing. There's a guy right here in my town that sells them. Of course, I wouldn't take my car to his shop if it was the only one in the state.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Must be a state-to-state thing. There's a guy right here in my town that sells them. Of course, I wouldn't take my car to his shop if it was the only one in the state.
I was going to agree with Marine One about automotive retreads, but you just blew that theory out of the water. Here in NJ, the only retreading I know of (BANDAG is around here) only does truck tires.

Regardless, the op's tires should not have done what they did.

Quick Reply: well it had to happen with my luck.....