Sponsored by:

Repair a C5 sun visor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
madmiguel
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Repair a C5 sun visor

as anyone ever attempted to repair a sun visor? i have been looking on line and it doesn't seem you can get one of these at a reasonable price. $100 seems pretty steep to me.

i have a c5 vert and i was apparently not releasing the top correctly by turning the visor down all the time and the damn thing broke right along the line where it fits into the frame.

i would like to repair it myself vs pay for all new ones as the passenger side is not broken. any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Posting a pic of the visor damage my help.

A respected forum vendor has replacements for $75.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...oppy-ears.html
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a repair on here-search for it, uses 2 sided tape and zip ties.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

A vendor on the forum is selling a reproduction pair of sunvisors (looks just like the factory originals) for $140/pair. The post should be in the C5 Parts for Sale section.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...l-in-here.html

Post 13
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Look in the "stickys"....there is a post on "how to fix". I used it last year, took about 5 minutes....worked like a champl.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM
irloyal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sunvisors are %*!^^$! peices of SHIITE. I have given up on these expensive peices of &*!!^&% and I am going to put in a completely different set-up on my C5 Coupe
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
madmiguel
Intermediate

let me clarify, i am looking for a complete repair of the visor and not just a fix for the mirror. thanks for the links that you have posted i did look at the first one and they are unfortunately out of stock.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madmiguel
let me clarify, i am looking for a complete repair of the visor and not just a fix for the mirror. thanks for the links that you have posted i did look at the first one and they are unfortunately out of stock.
?? Sounds like your looking to replace them then-what other repairs do you want to do-the visor is generally the weak link.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I put leather covers/gloves on mine...they are a tight fit and fixed the floppy, broken section, while improving the interior look.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM
CharlestonTiger38
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed mine. Its a much cleaner look with the targa off. While I have the car, they wont break, fade, or get in the way. Really good sunglasses and/or hat replaces the need for em!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:13 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Originally Posted by CharlestonTiger38
I removed mine. Its a much cleaner look with the targa off. While I have the car, they wont break, fade, or get in the way. Really good sunglasses and/or hat replaces the need for em!
^^^^What he says^^^^^
Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Tyteflows
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I stumbled across this post today as I was finishing up the repair of my drivers side "floppy" sun visor. I used a razor and cut the stitching around the edges of the visor making sure not to damage the felt.
Carefully split the fabric and noticed that the particle board had broken off from the frame. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a piece of sheet metal bracket that is straight and slim

also picked a couple of bottles of epoxy

after cutting the bracket in half (actually I bent it till it broke and hammered it straight), I epoxied them across the tear on the particle board and filled all of the holes in the crack on the visor with epoxy. I waited overnight and shored up the epoxy again. I also lubricated the metal shaft assy with wd-40 as I think that the visor broke because it was too hard to move. Sewed it up with black thread and re-installed....Good as New! and it only cost me 15 bucks. Seems super solid...hope it holds up over time. Sorry I didn't post pics, i only remembered after I had sewed it back together. Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyteflows
I stumbled across this post today as I was finishing up the repair of my drivers side "floppy" sun visor. I used a razor and cut the stitching around the edges of the visor making sure not to damage the felt.
Carefully split the fabric and noticed that the particle board had broken off from the frame. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a piece of sheet metal bracket that is straight and slim

after cutting the bracket in half (actually I bent it till it broke and hammered it straight), I epoxied them across the tear on the particle board and filled all of the holes in the crack on the visor with epoxy. I waited overnight and shored up the epoxy again. I also lubricated the metal shaft assy with wd-40 as I think that the visor broke because it was too hard to move. Sewed it up with black thread and re-installed....Good as New! and it only cost me 15 bucks. Seems super solid...hope it holds up over time. Sorry I didn't post pics, i only remembered after I had sewed it back together. Hope this helps.
Glad it worked out for you

BTW, next time you may want to not use WD40 as a lubricant....as its....well....not a lubricant It will free stuff up but over time it evaporates and then you're back to square one. This from a guy who loves WD40 for almost anything
Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 PM
madmiguel
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick tip! this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for someone to tell me. I think I will try and replace the particle board all together as well. We'll see what I need to do when I get it totally apart. Once again thanks for the quick walk-thru.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
madmiguel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tyteflows

I couldn't find a bracket that small and thin, so we are going to see how my fix turns out. I did however, deviate a little and decided to use velcrow to attach the sides together again vs sewing it. We'll see how that goes as well...lol
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
blackdragster
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Tyteflows, I have been thinking about doing exactly that but have been hesitant to try it.

Get notified of new replies

To Repair a C5 sun visor

Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
madmiguel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blackdragster
Thanks, Tyteflows, I have been thinking about doing exactly that but have been hesitant to try it.
This worked really really well btw. I should have taken pics, but didn't. I highly suggest the gorilla glue epoxy as well. I also used a T bracket to better re-enforce the broken areas.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 AM
LouWags
Pro

I took the whole thing apart, traced the broken board pieces onto a 1/8" piece of plywood and reassembled everything. It wasn't particularly easy but it worked.

Then a few weeks later, the mirror fell off.

I'll use the zip tie thingy in the above link for that.

--Wag--
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
madmiguel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LouWags
I took the whole thing apart, traced the broken board pieces onto a 1/8" piece of plywood and reassembled everything. It wasn't particularly easy but it worked.

Then a few weeks later, the mirror fell off.

I'll use the zip tie thingy in the above link for that.

--Wag--
Wag - the zip ties worked pretty well too. That didn't stop me from adding a bit of epoxy to them where they were tied to the press board though just to give them some added strength.

Quick Reply: Repair a C5 sun visor