What make those Supra's so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:43 PM
2quick98
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
The top end is where Supras shine. Big turbo + high rpms = uber-high trap speeds.
check this out
a good friend of mine Dalton mcquire owns this supra. very fast street car and yes a lot of money spent but just like fyrarms said nothing to mess with even in stock form they are awesome cars away ahead of there time I had a 95 single and miss it dearly

Last edited by 2quick98; 03-27-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:43 PM
itsmeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
This could be the most ridiculous single post in the entire thread. I have been heavily involved in the Supra community since I bought mine back in 2001...when I was 30. The large majority of clean, fast, regularly-raced Supras are owned and driven by those well into their 30s and 40s. Hell, "SW" was almost 50 and was still whipping everyone's *** at the Texas Mile in his Supra. In his incredible collection of clean and modified Ferraris, UGR Lambos, his turbocharged Ford GT, and his pro-touring cars, he still kept the Supra---the quickest and fastest car in his stable. He sold his Vettes long ago, though. Even when he passed the age of 50. Go figure, right?

Your statement makes about as much sense as saying "At the end of the day, a Corvette is still an old man redneck car. Mainly for fat, bald men and senior citizens in their 60s and 70s. To see a 20 or 30 year old in a Vette would be a real facepalm moment."

Amen, that guy is a clown. I guess his sub $20k dream car is "cletus's chariot". Or better yet, hes either compensating or just plain jealous. I believe i owned my c5 z06 when i was 22, hes worked his entire life for his base vette. Sad, because an sc300 isnt a bad car. he has nickle and dimed every piece of that bucket and wonders why everyone passed his sc and base vette by at car meets.

A 2jzge engine is worth $400 on a good day... Im willing to bet that clown doesnt even know the difference between a ge and a gte and tells everyone that he drives a vee 6.

All this being said, id get rid of my 42k miles supra in a heartbeat for a c7 z06.

Last edited by itsmeek; 03-27-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:56 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Dude has a busted $4k on a good day sc300 with shoddy pulled fenders covered in primer and goofy stanced 20s and he's ragging on arguably the most successful sports car Toyota has produced while downplaying the corvette all the same.

The corvette is not the greatest car and I loathe the demographic it carries today, nor is the supra. But the sc300? The only thing it's has in slight common is block designation to the supra. Sure you can swap and build and if it's what you like; fine. But don't come off like it's some unsaid 1000whp Supercar. They aren't worth dick for a reason along with other 'n/a 2jz' cars like the is300. It's not the same class, it's not the same drivetrain, and it's not the same argument.

You like em, great. I think it'd be fun to build one, but let's not get on this high and mighty 'I drive Lexus' weird status trip. It's no different than someone buying a busted old Mercedes. You sound juvenile at best and your car reflects it.
lol are you reffering to me Beast? Wow , another completely false statement.

You guys really need to re-group and think of something better if your going to try to attack me with anything other then a plastic butterknife.

First of all that Lexus I posted, was my first lexus , from years ago, and its an SC400, not an SC300.

Second of all I didn't ever brag about that car as if it was anything special, I just posted it to show my deep dish wheels that I built myself , and I was quite proud as it was the first set I customized.

And your wrong about the block being the only thing in common with supras and SC300's, they do share the same chassis, 2jz-ge engine, interchangeable suspension , brakes ,sway bars and many other parts.

Although the SC is far better looking, far more luxurious, and comfortable, they are considered to be cousins because of these similarities.

I will admit the 6 speed GTE - TT models are worthy of some respect but the base model GE's are just AWFUL and not worth more half of what they are selling for.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:01 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by itsmeek
Amen, that guy is a clown. I guess his sub $20k dream car is "cletus's chariot". Or better yet, hes either compensating or just plain jealous. I believe i owned my c5 z06 when i was 22, hes worked his entire life for his base vette. Sad, because an sc300 isnt a bad car. Im willing to bet he has nickle and dimed every piece of that bucket and wonders why everyone passed his sc and base vette by at car meets.

A 2jzge engine is worth $400 on a good day... Im willing to bet that clown doesnt even know the difference between a ge and a gte and tells everyone that he drives a vee 6
HAHAH your sig photo says it all, you a little mad huh bro?

Sorry about that , as they say the truth does hurt
Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

You bet. 400 eh? Even better. They share a block. Not a rotating assembly, not a head, not an ignition, not an intake. They don't share a Trans, rear or axles. Ditto the suspension and brakes.

It doesn't matter what bolts on; it's what it IS.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 AM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I would give my C5 and my left nut for a MK4 turbo Supra. But they made less of the turbo Supras than they made of my color/year C5. The SUV killed it (and a lot of great cars), sad but true.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:27 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
I would give my C5 and my left nut for a MK4 turbo Supra. But they made less of the turbo Supras than they made of my color/year C5. The SUV killed it (and a lot of great cars), sad but true.
Eh. I love the supra, but it would take 3 of them to get me to trade my SWZ. The c5 looks better, performs better, and sounds better when lightly modified.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:46 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RSbeast
You bet. 400 eh? Even better. They share a block. Not a rotating assembly, not a head, not an ignition, not an intake. They don't share a Trans, rear or axles. Ditto the suspension and brakes.

It doesn't matter what bolts on; it's what it IS.
I don't want top keep dragging this out, nor do I want to make this a personal beef with me and you or me and others, we differ on opinions that's fine, I don't mind at all, I like a fun debate.

But with regards to the similarities between the supra and sc300 you should check again, the base model supra shares the exact same engine, 2jz-GE , the tranny , W-58, chassis and much more.

That's all , not arguing, just stating that point .

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Eh. I love the supra, but it would take 3 of them to get me to trade my SWZ. The c5 looks better, performs better, and sounds better when lightly modified.
That's how I feel as well, I was looking through the classifieds here tonight just for kicks and even the NA- base model supras, with the W-58 tranny and the 2jz-ge non turbo motor are still selling for C5 money.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/o...ationFlag=true

I find it hard to belive someone would spend $13.5 k on this car, You would need another 5k+ 10k to turbo this car and make it handle the power, your well into the $20k+ range at that point, then you would need to get into a body kit, wheels and coilovers to make it look good, that's another 5k+, doesn't make any sense to me.

This to me is much more reasonably priced, I actually considered buying this car at one time the guy is a member of club lexus.

Its a Toyota aristo, (lexus Gs300), and it comes with the infamous 2jz-GTE, already single turboed, nice wheels, only downfall is its automatic.

But at a fraction of the price of the supra it makes much more sense to me

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Last edited by 1Willy1; 03-28-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:08 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,227 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Its really funny how you guys don't really debate or object to my facts about the supra, you sorta keep coming back and attacking the corvette for some reason
a) I did debate your "facts". You said all the Supra has to offer was a good engine. I corrected you. You failed to acknowledge the transmission, the diff, the brakes, etc.

b) The majority of your comments were merely personal opinion. Oddly, you don't find the Supra attractive, don't like the interior, etc. How can opinion be objected to?

c) If you feel people were "attacking" the Corvette, it is because they obviously find it odd that someone slamming the Supra with opinion-based comments on appearance and on the supposed crowd the car appeals to is driving a C5 Corvette---also a car that can easily be slammed for the exact same reasons.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:23 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,227 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Looks and sounds are obviously personal preference. Performance is hard to compare, unless you are talking about 100% stock vehicles. In that case, obviously a C5Z wins the match. As you mentioned, "lightly modified" = keep the C5Z. But for the guys who like to go fast, it becomes a different story. Unfortunately, for us C5Z owners, it would take a modded ZR1 TR6060 trans and a braced ZR1 diff fitted with Driveshaft Shop halfshafts to even approach the Supra's 22-year-old OEM transmission and OEM rear diff strength. Want reliable power levels over 600rwhp? Yeah, better tear down and upgrade that LS engine. Or, just leave the entire OEM Supra longblock alone.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:21 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

N/a supra is not a 'real' supra and clearly is not the vehicle of discussion. Again they share nothing with 'the real thing'. Also, they are clearly worth crap comparatively.

It's barely par with an Mkiii

So again, no; it shares nothing.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

We should let this thread Die. Who cares about a supra Turbo or not lol. If I wanted to own one I wouldve bought a 97 with 100k miles for the price I paid for my 2002 Z with 40k.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Beau168
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit late to the post as I joined only a few months ago with my C5....

But anyway, having come from the UK and owning Supra's and seeing what others have done with them there to, I can tell you they are awesome cars, and if you truly are a car guy you'll damn well respect the supra for it's engineering.

I'm sure it's been mentioned why they're fast before but I thought I could elaborate. The 2JZ-GTE is a very strong engine stock that can handle very high power. From a stock point of view, the twin turbo set up and fueling can be tuned to get you an aditional 100HP easily. The good thing about these Supra's is that Toyota built them strong. The geerbox is made by Getrag (who make the rear C5 diffs), and are known to take abuse. This goes for the entire drive train.

Modding them is where there is a massive advantage over the corvette's. Bigger turbo, injectors, IC setup and fuelling and you have yourself a quick car. Just to give you a little example you could pick up a second hand complete Big turbo setup for under 2000 pounds, about $3000. The engine's very easy to work on as well. This can have you running 1000BHP easily. How much $$$ does it take to get a vette up into that area?

Anyway, they're not good cars to compare because in theory the Supra was a generation behind the C5. 1992-2002. Compared to the 1997-2004. But in essence it really does show you how much of a great car it was for it's time.

I hope to one day bring my supra over here in the states!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:54 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL checked my user CP and this thread showed up. Barely on here anymore. Supras are so 1990s. Technology has improved vastly from well over two decades ago. Anyone still impressed by a Supra hasn't driven a C5 or newer Corvette.

-Alex

Quick Reply: What make those Supra's so fast?