Sponsored by:

What make those Supra's so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:10 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I said dash and gauges. not interior. supras had better seats. and other things where the vette lacked. and supras were made during c5 era.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:20 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rtpassini
I said dash and gauges. not interior. supras had better seats. and other things where the vette lacked. and supras were made during c5 era.
The Supra was made from 1993-1998. The C5 didn't come out until 1997, 4 years after the Supra had been introduced. So in a sense you are correct. The Supra was made during the C5 era. But it was designed in the C4 era and the majority of them were made during the C4 era.

As for the gauge and dashes... To this day I hate the C4's dash/guages/interior. It's no wonder that GM completely got away from the C4's designs with the C5.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:24 PM
rttmike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea Supras are fast. I am by far more impressed by the all Mighty GN. Quickest car I have ever driven. Deep into the 10's with a stock motor. Mostly bolt ons to do this.

I want to own one some day.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't be fooled by dyno numbers. 90+% of these monster Supras are sitting on stock rear ends and normal all-season tires, and they can't deliver once they get off the rollers. Not only that, the most monster models can't start bringing in the power until 3-4,000RPM, and by the time the turbos spin up, the race is over. It could probably beat a C6 Z06 in a 2 mile race, but in the quarter, they'll get dusted by almost anything. Most of the big power supra owners I've met always have some excuse for not getting to the track-it's because they'd be totally embarrassed by a Porsche Cayman or a stock C5.

Last edited by Endeka; 03-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 AM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
White folks driving Corvettes are FAT 245+lb; asian guys are around 145lb.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Incredibly durable engine + lots of boost from a large turbo + efficient cylinder head + perfect gearing + good aero = very fast car.

I miss mine dearly...
Came close to getting my door blown off by one a few weeks back. Guy said it had just a little over 650 rwhp in his..
Old 03-18-2012, 03:16 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,230 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Endeka
Don't be fooled by dyno numbers. 90+% of these monster Supras are sitting on stock rear ends and normal all-season tires, and they can't deliver once they get off the rollers. Not only that, the most monster models can't start bringing in the power until 3-4,000RPM, and by the time the turbos spin up, the race is over. It could probably beat a C6 Z06 in a 2 mile race, but in the quarter, they'll get dusted by almost anything. Most of the big power supra owners I've met always have some excuse for not getting to the track-it's because they'd be totally embarrassed by a Porsche Cayman or a stock C5.
This is probably the most uneducated and irrelevant post in this thread. Seriously, guys, don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rttmike
Yea Supras are fast. I am by far more impressed by the all Mighty GN.
Are you more impressed with the leaky front and rear main seals, the crappy handling, or the lack of any braking ability? I owned a GN and an '89 TTA. They were more trouble than they were worth. The only way I would ever own another GN is if the suspension and brakes got the full pro-touring treatment, if the interior got a complete upgrade, and if the 3.8L was replaced with something else that didn't have such an awful exhaust note. I would swap in a 2JZ just to make Buick purists angry.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

This is probably the most uneducated and irrelevant post in this thread. Seriously, guys, don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.

Unfortunately it is very difficult for some Corvette owners to give props to anything Japanese. It goes against their nature I guess.

Not all Corvette owners are true auto enthusiasts.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 AM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

While i do not agree totally with your assessment of the GN, i do agree with you here.

The first time i drove a turbo car, i too thought that it only had top end, and this comes from flooring it, and going from a vacuum situation in the manifold (negative boost) to a boost situation, depending on the cars torque converter, this is a period called turbo lag, and should NOT BE CONSIDERED related to any particular RPM range.

A turbo car can make PLENTY OF POWER DOWN LOW, these ideas of a turbo needing to be at 3-4k before making power are old wives tales.

As a general rule, forced induction cars are going to be faster than normally aspirated, unless there is a big difference in tune or cubic inches, now this is not an absolute, but in most cases is true, they just make more power per cubic inch, because they do the same thing as larger cubic inch motors, they put more air through.

Now, to give a little props to the great old GN platform, i respect them greatly, they made me very proud when i was very young about how freaking fast an AMERICAN CAR COULD BE.

Take a look at what was available in the mid eighties, there was nothing, the GN's engine, and ignition were way ahead of their time.

I had two GN's, one was stolen almost immediately, the other served me well for about 13 years, was incredibly reliable, the only problems it had were associated with racing, and trying to bring it to 500hp.

If i did not mess with the factory tune (it was pretty fast stock) there is no doubt in my mind i could have gotten 200k trouble free miles from it, like many in the community have done.

And as for the suspension, i personally loved it, much like a luxury car, with a GREAT ride, power everything. I was not into auto crossing or anything like that, so the suspension was fine for me, i can see someone that was would have a problem with it.

Brakes...hell, you are right on those, and it was a challenge i usually lost trying to keep all of my GN's fluids inside the car, i was told all forced induction have this issue, i do not know if that is true.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
The Supra was made from 1993-1998.
Actually the Supra was made entirely between 1986 to 2002 for two generations. Before that it was simply a hopped up Celica with "Supra" on the back.

The C5 didn't come out until 1997, 4 years after the Supra had been introduced. So in a sense you are correct..
4 years after the Supra was introduced? No. Four years after the MK4 was introduced? Yes.

The Supra was made during the C5 era. But it was designed in the C4 era and the majority of them were made during the C4 era. .
1993 to 1997 is 5 years. 1998 to 2002 is also 5 years dude. So incorrect.

As for the gauge and dashes... To this day I hate the C4's dash/guages/interior. It's no wonder that GM completely got away from the C4's designs with the C5.
I agree with this.

Also why do people ignore that Toyota's Most powerful Supra was comparable to the ENTRY level C5 with an automatic? Here's some numbers.

1993 - 2002 Toyota Supra
HP 320
TQ 315
Weight 3350 - 3400lbs

1997 - 2004 Corvette
HP 350(LS1) - 405(LS6)
TQ 360(LS1) - 400(LS6)
Weight 3275 - less 3200lbs

Hello?

-Alex
Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

i wonder how many miles you could get out of a 400hp supra. my money says the c5 making the same power lasts way longer. i want something that lasts that can take a serious beating. there are so many people out there still road racing 100k+ mi vettes beating the crap out of them for years.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Why is it I have never seen a Supra at a track event? I think "The Little Old Lady From Pasadina" would spank a Supra.
Go Granny, Go Granny, Go!!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:24 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ona mission
We didn't eat our Wheaties?

Most of the ones I looked at the vettes are getting creamed at the light, I'd first have to look at overall gear ratio at launch. Most of the videos you can't see the ET's/trap speed well or at all.

The supra'a are definitely making horsepower and getting it to the ground. Turbo inline should make good power but suprisingly we still have a weight advantage, don't know what the Supras top speed is.
You don't want to know.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:29 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Power to weight ratio. NOTHING else.
Not true. Fully built Supras can have 10,000 rpm redlines. The fastest ones at the standing mile are hitting around 250 mph at ~9,000 rpm in 5th gear, so one less shift compared to a lower redline. The top speed of those kinds of beasts would still be much higher in 6th and would be terrifying. They can hit 180 mph in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile drags, so again, one less shift helps. And this kind of advantage can be extremely useful with the built auto trans cars too.

Vipers suffer from poor aero, which is the #1 reason they aren't near the top ranks of standing mile competitions, coupled with the lack of ability to rev like other big engined cars such as the Ford GT.

Last edited by BoostManiac; 03-18-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:34 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SaberD
i wonder how many miles you could get out of a 400hp supra. my money says the c5 making the same power lasts way longer. i want something that lasts that can take a serious beating. there are so many people out there still road racing 100k+ mi vettes beating the crap out of them for years.
My money says it doesn't with a low boost small to medium single turbo. That's a very low strees power level for a MKIV. I know Supra owners with 200,000 to 300,000 miles at 500+ HP levels. But there is always the temptation to go for fire breathing dragon levels of power, which will wear anything out more quickly.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
Why is it I have never seen a Supra at a track event? I think "The Little Old Lady From Pasadina" would spank a Supra.
Go Granny, Go Granny, Go!!
Well if you have never seen one, I guess that means they never go.

Get notified of new replies

To What make those Supra's so fast?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Kman1971
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

American Classic

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1G6wtnmdZhE
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

You would lose that bet. You obviously are unfamiliar with the Supra's well-known durability.

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
Why is it I have never seen a Supra at a track event?
Because there aren't many around. Turbo MKIVs are rare cars. When you have a dime-a-dozen sportscar like a Corvette, the chances of seeing quite a few at a track are good. I never see any baby pigeons around, but they obviously exist.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not a supra expert, but when you are a GN enthusiast, you do pay attention to other turbo cars.

All that i know is that the guys in my group that knew the most about turbo charging, had good things to say about the supra.

When you are talking turbo charged engine, it is important to point out, HORSEPOWER IS ADJUSTABLE. You can always turn up the boost, and make more.

It really is not as easy as that, you have to have the correct octane, the correct A/F ratio etc.

The limit on the horsepower, if you have the correct supporting mods, is where and when the block will cease to exist in one piece.

This is where the supra is tops, as i said before, it is over-engineered, whether corvette purists want to admit this or not.

The GN could safely handle HP up into the 450-500 hp range, where you could make a mistake in tuning, and the block would still be in one piece.

Once you get into the 600-650 hp range, it will take it (really, i have seen it), but one mistake, and you are sweeping up what is left of your bottom end with a broom, and dustpan.

The supra, with a stock block, and bottom end can go well beyond this, if i remember correctly, that gentleman that had one could probably give us a good amount, but i believe it is 800-900 hp (that is outstanding for a stock block imo).

Quick Reply: What make those Supra's so fast?