Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accused of Drag Racing a Tow Truck in Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by tiojames
I doubt the citation said drag racing-they usually say speed contest which is exactly what you were engaged in. When I saw the title of the post I thought is was going to be a C4 against the tow truck. Kidding aside, I would contact the "Clinic" mentioned before.
No, the ticket says "DRAG RACING" on it. There is a code that I need to look up, but I left the ticket at home today and I'm at work. I'll check the code online tomorrow
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by tiojames
I doubt the citation said drag racing-they usually say speed contest which is exactly what you were engaged in. When I saw the title of the post I thought is was going to be a C4 against the tow truck. Kidding aside, I would contact the "Clinic" mentioned before.
I looked up this clinic this morning, but couldn't find any locations in Illinois. I'll do more research though
Old 03-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck with whatever you do. Hope you can get the drag racing charge reduced or dismissed, but you may be on the hook for speeding. And next time, perhaps just let the other driver speed ahead - not worth the chance of getting nailed by an LEO.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

(625 ILCS 5/11-506)
Sec. 11-506. Street racing; aggravated street racing.
(a) No person shall engage in street racing on any street or highway of this State.
(b) No owner of any vehicle shall acquiesce in or permit his or her vehicle to be used by another for the purpose of street racing.
(c) For the purposes of this Section, the following words shall have the meanings ascribed to them:
"Acquiesce" or "permit" means actual knowledge that the motor vehicle was to be used for the purpose of street racing.
"Street racing" means:
(1) The operation of 2 or more vehicles from a point
side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other; or
(2) The operation of one or more vehicles over a
common selected course, each starting at the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit; or
(3) The use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to
outgain or outdistance another vehicle; or
(4) The use of one or more vehicles to prevent
another vehicle from passing;
or
(5) The use of one or more vehicles to arrive at a
given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles;
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Did the tow truck driver also get a ticket for drag racing? It takes two to race, right?

Seriously, if the judge has a brain in his head, a race between a Corvette and a tow truck is patently ridiculous. It doesn't make sense. That shouldn't take too much convincing.

You're probably on your own on the 45 in a 30.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Orig Ante M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hire a lawyer. It's the BEST way to make sure you are represented and shows you mean business in getting it rectified. It's going to cost you one way or the other so you might as well get a fair deal. Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I have to admit that I do the same thing. After all, by law, the person driving the vehicle in a lane that ends
Must merge safely, not rocket past the
Vehicle next to him or her. The hilarious thing that often happens is that a soccer mom in an Explorer thinks she will easily sail past a guy in a Corvette. (lowered and sounding a bit mean)
Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
Chicago has a "The ticket clinic". They guarantee, no ticket, no fine, no points and no driving school or your money back. Use them.
For any company that makes that sort of claim.....it sounds an aweful lot like legalized corruption. But being Chicago, that's probably the norm there.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Sounds like the local police got a "drag race" trap there. Speed traps are illegal, drag racing traps.......who knows?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nj02vette
For any company that makes that sort of claim.....it sounds an aweful lot like legalized corruption. But being Chicago, that's probably the norm there.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
murf257
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Born and raised in the area I have my $.02 to add. Cook County Courts and very corrupt to say the least. With that said, I'd take my chances and go to court and plead not guilty. The over congested court system will get the judge to be truly leanient if you do not have previous convictions. Often they will take 30 to 40 people who want to plead not guilty and dismiss all at the same time. If you have the opportunity to go before the judge, remember they have heard it all! However, if you explain that this was your first time in the neighborhood and you were not familar with the lane merge, plus the fact you do not have any other moving violations, the judge should offer supervision. I'd take my chances and not have an attorney. If however u do have other tickets...... u can pay for an attorney and still get wacked! Remember it is Chgo., the most corrupt city in the US.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

PM me the officer's name. hopefully i know him
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

Get a lawyer just to be safe. I am sure he will be better at explaining to the judge why it is nonsense to think you would be drag racing a tow truck. The speeding ticket your most likely screwed, though. Did you spin tires at all?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

our tax dollars hard at work. =\
Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
Best advice, get a Lawyer. They know the law AND the Police. It will be well worth it. Don't take the advice of "forum members" or try to do it yourself. The implications could be severe, so get a Lawyer.
This is the best advice. These types of tickets are best handled by those that deal with them day in day out. The penalties are servere and deserve a professionals opinion at least. Drag race (Speed Contest in Cali), Reckless Driving and Drunk Driving are now serious offenses. It is not like it was in the 50,60,70's anymore. People do go to jail over these types of tickets.

With that being said - If Chicago has a Ticket Clinic the first thing I'd do is ask them if this is the type of ticket that I would be allowed to go to school on. If not, I'd ask them if they can get it reduced to a ticket that I could go to school on. Then if so, do the school clear your record and be aware of this in the future. If not, get a lawyer you need one. The police apparently are having issues as we do here in Cali. People try to pass unsafely at these merges even if there is a do not pass sign on the right; they pass. I actually think your ticket should have been for unsafe passing. In Cali that is a heavy fine but, it's not in the category with Reckless / Drunk Driving.

This is one of the grey areas of driving I fear getting caught up in. I feel for you.

Good luck !!!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Ah you won't believe me anyways.... retracted. ;-)

Last edited by Mecinoid; 03-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 AM
jhanson999
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a drag racing ticket here in IL, along with wreckless driving and speeding 20+ all in the same instance. And I was in no way shape or form doing any of the above. The officer claimed to "hear" my exhaust from a few blocks away, admitted to never even seeing my car moving, came to me when I was parked at a friends house and proceeded to write me up. I figured there was no way this could possibly hold up in court, but I ended up with $2000 in fines, lawyer fees, and 1 year probation.

I was 18 with a camaro and apparently that's illegal here in IL. Hope you have better luck than I did!

Get notified of new replies

To Accused of Drag Racing a Tow Truck in Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
Get a lawyer just to be safe. I am sure he will be better at explaining to the judge why it is nonsense to think you would be drag racing a tow truck. The speeding ticket your most likely screwed, though. Did you spin tires at all?
I didn't spin the tires but I have an aftermarket Borla exhaust setup that gets pretty loud.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

best thing to do is not post on a public forum that you deliberately accelerated so that the tow truck wouldn't try to get ahead of you. a little calmness, live and let live attitude, and a little less on the gas and you wouldn't be worried about this.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
pluslt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
best thing to do is not post on a public forum that you deliberately accelerated so that the tow truck wouldn't try to get ahead of you. a little calmness, live and let live attitude, and a little less on the gas and you wouldn't be worried about this.
Whatever man, he posted to get an idea of what he's facing. Its not like he has a video of said situation going down. Its not like he was even drag racing. I see no issue with any of this. In fact with regard to the actual event itself, he did what I would be willing to bet 90% of the people on this forum would do. He was at a light with the lane next to him clearly about to end and some jerk in a TOW TRUCK decided to punch the gas and get in front of him? Lmao, no chance that's happening to me and very very few of you either.

And to the OP sorry you got some trumped up BS ticket. Sounds like the cop is a real d-bag. Get a lawyer and chalk it up to life. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: Accused of Drag Racing a Tow Truck in Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!