Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accused of Drag Racing a Tow Truck in Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pluslt
Whatever man, he posted to get an idea of what he's facing. Its not like he has a video of said situation going down. Its not like he was even drag racing. I see no issue with any of this. In fact with regard to the actual event itself, he did what I would be willing to bet 90% of the people on this forum would do. He was at a light with the lane next to him clearly about to end and some jerk in a TOW TRUCK decided to punch the gas and get in front of him? Lmao, no chance that's happening to me and very very few of you either.

And to the OP sorry you got some trumped up BS ticket. Sounds like the cop is a real d-bag. Get a lawyer and chalk it up to life. Good luck man.
The advise was given, cause some smart LEO's do check the forums and other social locations to see if the stop or arrest that they made will be a problem. People will gab all over the place. By stating that you sped up and it is posted can give a judge enough reason to find a guilty charge. And it is obvious that some of you have not seen some of the souped up trucks that are out there. They will try you. It's a shame that the tow driver was not ticketed. If that is true then that is your out, as it takes two to drag.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by Jewjenk
The advise was given, cause some smart LEO's do check the forums and other social locations to see if the stop or arrest that they made will be a problem. People will gab all over the place. By stating that you sped up and it is posted can give a judge enough reason to find a guilty charge. And it is obvious that some of you have not seen some of the souped up trucks that are out there. They will try you. It's a shame that the tow driver was not ticketed. If that is true then that is your out, as it takes two to drag.
No, the tow truck driver was ticketed. The cop had to leave me at the side of the road and go track down the tow truck. The officer was friendly to me and explained that he realized that the tow truck instigated the situation. For that reason he was going to give him more tickets than the two I received.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

That's good news that the officer admitted to you that he saw the tow truck initiate the action, it would probable help you that he was trying to cut you off by speeding up.......................Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel...........................
Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

did you beat him?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Luv2Run
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

As a former Justice of the Peace (as that position was called back in the day), I've heard all the "reasons" suggested in this thread, including yours, as to why you chose to speed up. The problem I have with them all is that the most obvious choice you could have made has been ignored....use your brake to slow down and let the other vehicle pass you. No one forced you to choose to speed up. If you really wanted to make a "safe" decision then slow down, do not speed up. Same thing goes for the other driver.

Based on facts presented here, in my court, both drivers would have been found guilty.

With that said I "understand" why you did what you did, be there, done that.

Good luck, hope it works out with minimal long term impact on you!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM
2004c5blackcoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to court, plead not guilty and then with your good driving record plea bargain the street racing down to a lesser charge, that is if Ill. is a plea bargain state.
Good luck on getting the charge reduced.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

You play, You pay, Let the Judge decide.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds bogus. Lucky for you here if a cop said you were racing your car gets impounded on the spot and your first court date is a forfiture hearing then deal with the BS of saving your license.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
You play, You pay, Let the Judge decide.
So you never speed in your Corvette?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
This thread isn't about me now is it?

I play, I pay, Simple.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Spatiality
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
(625 ILCS 5/11-506)
Sec. 11-506. Street racing; . . .
(5) The use of one or more vehicles to arrive at a given destination
ahead of another vehicle or vehicles . . .
Good gravy That's about as ambiguous a rule as I've ever seen.

No more telling my brother "I'll meet him over at the Home Depot unless he gets there first" if we leave our houses at the same time
Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
meine96ws6
Pro

hire a good lawyer... plead "no contest".. your not exactly innocent ..but not exactly guilty..
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Spatiality
Good gravy That's about as ambiguous a rule as I've ever seen.

No more telling my brother "I'll meet him over at the Home Depot unless he gets there first" if we leave our houses at the same time
That just about covers morning and evening rush hour here in Chicago.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
Best advice, get a Lawyer. They know the law AND the Police. It will be well worth it. Don't take the advice of "forum members" or try to do it yourself. The implications could be severe, so get a Lawyer.

I am pretty sure here in Fl. they can take your car for it.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll have to say thank you! Just yesterday a 750i punched it from behind me to beat me to the merge. I so wanted to stomp on the gas... I restrained due to this thread. I never really thought of this type of situation as a speed contest however, I do not want one of these ticket. So from now on I'll just let them past me if they want to. Here there are do not pass signs and people still pass after the sign. sometime you get two (one tailgating the other) trying to squeeze in that way. There has been a couple of times that I've been forced into oncoming traffic or safety zone because of these idiots. I think next time I'll hit the brakes and hopefully the guy behind me is paying attention. Not worth ticket or the side being taken out of my nice car. Accident to the rear would be awful but, there it is clear who is at fault. People do push you from behind because they don't want to see that guy cut in front of us all. I don't care ... I'll see him at the next stop light anyways with the traffic around here. If I don't that's even better. He can go on up the road and get his ticket or accident.

This situation is probably one of the biggest road rage issues we have today.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 03-24-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

UPDATE:

I hired a lawyer and showed up to court today. The police officer did not show up but the judge decided that he wasn't going to dismiss the charge. They have rescheduled my court date to May 23rd so that the cop has a chance to make a case against me. This is depressing.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
UPDATE:

I hired a lawyer and showed up to court today. The police officer did not show up but the judge decided that he wasn't going to dismiss the charge. They have rescheduled my court date to May 23rd so that the cop has a chance to make a case against me. This is depressing.
Talk about double standard, if you didn't show up a warrant would be placed for your arrest. What did lawyer say?

Get notified of new replies

To Accused of Drag Racing a Tow Truck in Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
UPDATE:

Well beings it's in Chicago, it doesn't surprise me one bit. Drag racing a tow truck?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I skipped two pages of opinions so forgive me if my advice mirrors somebody else. First you state your ego wouldn't let a tow truck get in front of you more or less. That's a race. Sorry.

Anyways get a lawyer and it ain't gonna be $1500. Shouldn't be over 3 or 4
Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Just hold on there pal, Mr Bill does not speed!

Quick Reply: Accused of Drag Racing a Tow Truck in Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!