Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a C5 this week. What is the deal with the cops and Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:19 PM
elopez1986
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I been pulled over for some cops to tell me that i have a nice car LOL
Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Never had any LEO follow me around or hassle me when driving my Vette. Perhaps it's because I don't give them any reason to do so. Not saying you do, but something must be drawing their attention to you.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I spent 34+ years in law enforcement and I can count the number of Corvettes I stopped on one hand. I wonder how many people "thought" I was following them when I was just driving from point A to point B. I also chuckle when someone suggests that police officers ticket sports cars or nice cars because they're jealous or envious. Personally, I couldn't have cared less what kind of car someone was driving. It was their actions that attracted my attention, not their car.
Well said, and probably applies to most LEO'S.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have 3 seasonal cars I drive, a yellow C5 vert, a T-Bucket Roadster, and the wife's MGTD replica kit car. All these years, no traffic stops yet - and the T-Bucket is clearly short some of the required equipment (like fenders, windshield wipers / washers, rear bumper and seat belts). We have a requirement for front plates here and I don't run them on the Bucket and the C5. I've driven by dozens of cops and no one has even sniffed me yet. I drive the speed limit and don't screw around on the street, plus I'm old so all that probably helps. My wife says she does occasionally get followed in the MG replica and it's the most tame looking car of the bunch what with 64 horsepower and all. I just told her they're probably looking for a stolen car similar to hers and they move on when they run her plate LOL!

The police and fire departments around here conduct many benefit car shows and cruises, and they get a LOT of cars supporting the cause. I feel that if you don't do anything stupid, they tend to cut you some slack and figure you're not worth the paperwork involved in a cheap ticket for a plate, fenders, or whatever especially if it is unique car and looks like it's taken care of. I think our state highway cops here (Ohio)are great about all of this. On the other hand, if you actually end up DOING something stupid, then they SHOULD nail your a$$.

I do remember walking out of a restaurant one afternoon and there's a sheriff's deputy standing next to the Bucket. Figured UH-OH. I walked towards him with a smile on my face and asked him with a chuckle in my voice if this was license, registration and POI stop. He said, Nah, but wanted to know if I'd trade my Bucket for 15 minutes with his cruiser (i'm sure with a chuckle in his voice too). He said 'nice car' and went about his business.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Had my obnoxiously loud Vette for just about 7 years now.

Not one time was I ever pulled over, let alone a ticket of any kind and my Vette screams "TICKET ME"....I guess its all how you approach the local LEOs. I always wave to them like they are driving Corvettes too, so, maybe that has earned its place. I don't know.....

Funny thing is, two Border Patrol checkpoints I went through told me to "Open it up" as I passed through the checkpoint....I sure did! (All the way up to 100) I can only wonder what the people were thinking in the cars waiting behind me as I ripped out of the hole. Hahahahaha

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 03-21-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Major Dump
Advanced

I haven't had an actual problem with them other than getting the cut eye from one here and there when they pass me. I was at a red light once and one had his eyes locked of me as he drove thru the intersection, It didn't appear like a "Cool car bro" look on his face. I think that was pretty reckless of him, would've plowed into the person in front if they stopped for some reason.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

The only time I've been pulled over was on the way home from the DMV to get the odometer reading verified as part of the registration process. I was on temp tags from a week prior, but the officer ran the tags and came up with no record (not even pending), which I can agree seems suspicious! Not sure what made her run the plates in the first place, but maybe seeing a younger guy driving a 'Vette is suspicious enough!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

I spent 34+ years in law enforcement and I can count the number of Corvettes I stopped on one hand. I wonder how many people "thought" I was following them when I was just driving from point A to point B. I also chuckle when someone suggests that police officers ticket sports cars or nice cars because they're jealous or envious. Personally, I couldn't have cared less what kind of car someone was driving. It was their actions that attracted my attention, not their car.

AMEN BROTHER...wow...can an officer simply admire ur ride like everyone else without ur guilty conscience coming out???

i say use some common sense, drive your car, and if an officer gets behind you? GET OUT OF THE WAY! usually we just wanna get by!!!

a friendly wave wouldn't hurt either...lol
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not after ~30 years old
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never had this feeling with cops and my car should draw them in I am young have tint, car is lowered and it is loud.

However, I do not drive like I am nuts or anything normally do speed limit or about 5 over
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by CPhelps
The only time I've been pulled over was on the way home from the DMV to get the odometer reading verified as part of the registration process. I was on temp tags from a week prior, but the officer ran the tags and came up with no record (not even pending), which I can agree seems suspicious! Not sure what made her run the plates in the first place, but maybe seeing a younger guy driving a 'Vette is suspicious enough!
Several departments here have systems that automatically capture and run every plate that comes into camera view.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Never had any issues while driving the Vette, Your profile isn't filled out, Where you from?
Mr.Bill
Old 03-21-2012, 11:21 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Was gonna say the same thing Mr Bill. Tuffguy610, finish your profile so we know where you live. We can give a little better replies if we know the turf, and I can almost guarantee you that there are forum members that live in your area. And btw, congrats on the new Corvette. The Corvette is unique, there is a "mystique" about them. People think differently about Corvette owners, cops included. I think you'll find most cops are friendly to Vette owners (granted... not all).
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Tuffguy610
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Updated
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I've never experienced it myself.
Nope not me either

Does your vette have deep tinted windows ?

tinted windows attract cops faster then donuts.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 AM
vet4me
Racer

Being a former cop,speaking for myself,I used to run vette plates just to see what kind of person owned them.Occaisonally when there was a light rain out,i used to pull up next to a vette and tell them there was a law against driving a vette in the rain!! if anything I used to profile the mustangs with younger drivers in them
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 AM
MT0911
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought a C5 this week. What is the deal with the cops and Corvettes?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM
bumr
Pro

I think as a general rule, most cops are car guys. Unless you're being a jerk in it I think they just appreciate a great car and may even be more likely to give you a pass for speeding as long it's not excessive.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 286 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Had my white 94 for five years never even got a second look. I traded it for my Mag red 01 and got stopped within 24 hours.

I was driving down the highway, minding my own business doing less than 5 over. When I pulled through a small town, a gal in an 80's model Chevy (Celebrity, IIRC) pulls right up on my tail (not 10 feet away). I could have pulled her easily, but I didn't want to draw attention so I continued at normal speed. The gal (with about 3 or 4 kids in the car), sat right on my **** for about 12 miles when we meet a patrolman. He quickly whips around and turns his lights on. The gal quickly pulled over, but he passed her by and came and stopped me.

The patrolman said he couldn't see my temp tag and thought my 'friend' behind me was covering for me. I told him the story of her tailing me. He told me to have a nice day and that he needed to find her and have a talk. When he walked away, he said "Oh by the way, I like your car." He jumped back into his cruiser and took off looking for my "friend".
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by bumr
I think as a general rule, most cops are car guys. Unless you're being a jerk in it I think they just appreciate a great car and may even be more likely to give you a pass for speeding as long it's not excessive.
My Z is 'stealth' black and box stock. No problem yet, and I stick to the limit most of the time.
At our monthly meets, usually 1 or 2 township patrol cars stop by to check out the cars. I invite them to park in our line, but they just say thanks.

Quick Reply: Just bought a C5 this week. What is the deal with the cops and Corvettes?