Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of a c5 in 2014

Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think that you should take your Dads advice and wait until you're out of school. Buying a car can wait.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:44 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

There is not going to be a day where you can buy a C5 cheaper than you can buy a C4.
Some C4s are still fetching close to 10k now, so one would assume that C5s have reached a level that will plateau a bit reagardless of what GM puts out for a C7.

If you think because of the C7 coming out, you will be able to buy a C5 for $5995, then you would be mistaken.I am pretty sure they have bottomed out for a while at $10k to $20k depending on year model, mileage, and features.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
There is not going to be a day where you can buy a C5 cheaper than you can buy a C4.
Some C4s are still fetching close to 10k now, so one would assume that C5s have reached a level that will plateau a bit reagardless of what GM puts out for a C7.

If you think because of the C7 coming out, you will be able to buy a C5 for $5995, then you would be mistaken.I am pretty sure they have bottomed out for a while at $10k to $20k depending on year model, mileage, and features.

I was seriously shopping C4s last summer before I came upon my 99. If I was doing a C4 I wanted a 94-96 and a Vert. I couldn't find anything really nice for under 10K. As stated, C5s will always bring more.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Arnie Chamberlain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Wisconsin, you can't even get into a C5 for under $13k, and thats gonna be a high mileage early car with an auto and some problems. Desirably optioned cars (nice colors, manual trans, Z51, HUD, etc) are still the high end of $15, usually closer to $20k. What recession?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Harry Marsh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnie Chamberlain
Here in Wisconsin, you can't even get into a C5 for under $13k, and thats gonna be a high mileage early car with an auto and some problems. Desirably optioned cars (nice colors, manual trans, Z51, HUD, etc) are still the high end of $15, usually closer to $20k. What recession?
Not my experience

There are deals, if you want to call them that...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/2833127055.html
Current search in my area, and that car has been on the market a while

I paid 8800 for my Nassau blue coupe, 6,000 for my Sebring convertible with just a few issues

Last edited by Harry Marsh; 03-24-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:42 PM
aTeam
Instructor

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
Man up and join ROTC and pay for your own damn college!! Then you could buy whatever you wanted without daddy's permission. Does your mom still do all of your laundry too? I swear to God, it's a generation of brownies we have today! A bunch of twenty somethings riding skateboards and tiny bicycles. Please bring back the draft.
I also wear a baseball hat backwards, pants low enough to show my ***, and blast rap music.

To everyone else, I appreciate the input. I will sit back, enjoy college, and try not to think too hard about that vette. The whole point of this thread was to try and figure out how much money I need to have saved when I graduate. I currently have plenty, enough even for a few mods when the time comes. I plan on eventually building a h/c/i car. I'd prefer buying <50,000 mile car
Old 03-24-2012, 07:48 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm rethinking my previous post after reading yet another thread about another electronic component discontinued. Maybe C4s will pass the C5 when it becomes the equivalant of an old TV or stereo that you can't fix? Obsolesence may drive the value down more than the new model arriving. Just food for thought.

Wait a couple years and get done with school. One sure thing is they aren't goin to go up and owners are getting older. Time is on your side...yes it is.

Last edited by fendermender; 03-24-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Harry Marsh
Racer

Who, again....will want to buy a c4???

Your run of the mill 6 cylinder pink moostang will spank it in every way

And gas mileage worse than a c5 with 50 or more LESS horsepower?
New civics might perform better!

A crappy, worn interior...

If I had a c4, I would beg the nearest redneck to buy it for whatever I could get out of it

Ridiculous, in my opinion, to be deluded to think a c4 will eclipse a c5

In reality, c4 will be far cheaper. No reason to own one with c5 prices dropping a bit
Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Default Man you're Harsh on C4

I would for the right one. In a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by Harry Marsh

If I had a c4, I would beg the nearest redneck to buy it for whatever I could get out of it

In reality, c4 will be far cheaper. No reason to own one with c5 prices dropping a bit
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 AM
tripleblackvert
Instructor

Im in my last months of undergrad.. Starting grad school... I paid 10,000 for a 97 Auto Stock with an aftermarket CD player, and Borla cat back. Was looking at other C5s up to 2002 with 80,000-115,000 Miles Auto and 6spd Coupes and FRCs all under $13,000 all over the country. Scour all the major (warm) cities CL's like Vegas, Miami, Orlando, Tuscon, LA, SD, Dallas, NO, ATL. Theyre out there.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree, the only exception I can see to that would be a C4 ZR1 those might hold their value to the levels of a stockish C5. Maybe a little better.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Not my experience

There are deals, if you want to call them that...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/2833127055.html
Current search in my area, and that car has been on the market a while

I paid 8800 for my Nassau blue coupe, 6,000 for my Sebring convertible with just a few issues
That car in the CL ad has 180K miles. No wonder it has been on the market for a while.
I would also like to see pictures and some details of a $6000 C5 convertible. Nothing personal, but unless the car is salvaged, stolen, or wrecked, I call BS on that price.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Why would anyone want to buy a C3 then? Or a C1 or C2 if we measure these cars by how fast they go.

An LT4 will run all day long with a C5. There's not that much difference in the LT1 and LS1. About the same difference of the LS1 and the LS6. So by using your logic we should go find us a redneck to take these LS1's off our hands.

People shouldn't disrespect and talk down other people's cars. We have a community we belong to. There are many people who only wish they could be a vette owner and be part of this community. And those who disrespect it should go buy family sedan.

Every generation of vette lead to the next generation. The circle hasn't been broken and each generation became better in some respects and we lost something in other respects.

Personally I think the C4 interior on the 90 to 96 C4 was the best interior they ever put in a vette. It was unique and screamed Corvette, especially for it's day. The C5 interior is nothing more than any other interior you find on any 1990's car.

The build quality is better on the C4 as well. I know, just like many others I have had both. Sometimes I regret selling my 90.

Unless you're tracking your vette there is absolutely no difference in the performance of these two cars driven within the limits the law allows us to drive on public streets. And that's about 90 percent of us.

You can have your opinions. I personally don't care for the C5 coupe much, but I'm not going to tell people to give it to a redneck either, because I appreciate what it is.

People who talk down other people's cars don't deserve to be part of the vette community. They are car owners, not car guys.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by corvettezman
That car in the CL ad has 180K miles. No wonder it has been on the market for a while.
I would also like to see pictures and some details of a $6000 C5 convertible. Nothing personal, but unless the car is salvaged, stolen, or wrecked, I call BS on that price.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Harry Marsh
Racer

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I deserve some hell about the c4 comments
But, you'll notice 'in my opinion' in every post in this thread. And this isn't a thread about the Corvette community, this is a thread about C5 prices, which are affected by c4 availability and c5 prices.
I'm an economist. Who will want a c4? Comparing a c4 to a C1 or C2? Really???

..... What is the demand for a c4? The local redneck down the road? I don't see many businessmen or young kids begging for a c4
And are you assuming every c4 has the LT4 or is a ZR1? Far from the truth.

A c5 does everything better, if you have money. If you don't have money and appreciate the: c4. Fine. but with dropping c5 prices, the c4 will drop even further.
No disrespect to the c4. That's just how it is (in my opinion, which I'm trying to keep neutral and backed by the market conditions)

A few people may have love for the c4, for whatever reason. Not very common, for the rest of the market. 18 year olds would rather have a Scion XB or something silly, than a 90's gas guzzling, under performing car with tons of squeeks and problems

A lot of C5's are going to become available with people moving to C6's. A narrow demographic of 39 year old males that wanted a c4 when they were younger might still appreciate the c4, but many with a C4 are going to move to a C5 as prices drop. More c4's on the market. More c4 price drop.

Your post is more akin to a personal attack, or far too emotional, at least.
I can appreciate you like the c4. But, that has little value as to its price in a few years. You're in a minority demographic

PS.
$5,000 c5 convertible
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...e-love-5k.html

Less than $6,000 shipped. There's your proof. Now quit hijacking this thead.

Most of the $11,000 - $13,000 cars on autotrader will sell for $9,000
I bought my 100k mile nassau blue coup from autotrader. Advertised for $10,900. Sold for $8,800. Only thing wrong with the car is one burnt motor on the driver seat

Advertised prices differ far from actual sale prices.

Last edited by Harry Marsh; 03-25-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Harry Marsh
Racer

PS. Post #36 and noone has offered a suggestion on pricing, per the OP (except me)

The rest of you want to dwell on attacking other posts and making petty fights.

Typical forum activity...but that, in my opinion...does not help to this 'corvette community'
Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 AM
mikes1hog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer

Opinions , opinions, everyone has an opinion. Here's an ad in today's Harrisburg Newspaper: 2002 convertible with 46K miles for sale at $26K.
Will he sell or is he overpriced? Who knows...who cares. If you are looking to buy and have the cash, you can always make an offer. The most that can happen is that it is rejected. So you move on. At the end of the day, "can't we all just get along?"

Get notified of new replies

To Value of a c5 in 2014

Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Harry Marsh
Racer

Originally Posted by mikes1hog
Opinions , opinions, everyone has an opinion. Here's an ad in today's Harrisburg Newspaper: 2002 convertible with 46K miles for sale at $26K.
Will he sell or is he overpriced? Who knows...who cares. If you are looking to buy and have the cash, you can always make an offer. The most that can happen is that it is rejected. So you move on. At the end of the day, "can't we all just get along?"
I try, more than others (I think I do, at least)

But why are we nearing post #40 and noone is trying to help this young fellow? Or respond, as requested?

Instead, we're already in pissing matches back and forth
With most people giving him no advice, or posing petty arguments

Or worse: wrong advice (alluding, for example...that C4's come with an LT4 and can rival a LS1)...without adding in that very few c4's came with the LT4

Off topic to hell...because people take an opinion about a c4 personally and feel compelled to add in their .03 cents
...or because people feel compelled to tell him what to do (army, father, whatever)
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnie Chamberlain

This was my experience here in Illinois (Rock Island) as well. There are deals to be had several hundred miles away, but I decided to spend a few thousand more and find one locally. Any C5 I found here under 14000 was imo, a problem waiting to happen, had a salvage title, or a bad carfax.

I did go look at a c4 (1988) the day "after" I bought my c5. Big mistake. This c4 (vert) looked (and drove) like it should have been in a museum. It was truly a showroom condition car. I am very happy with the c5, but this c4 was nothing short of perfect.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
Man up and join ROTC and pay for your own damn college!! Then you could buy whatever you wanted without daddy's permission. Does your mom still do all of your laundry too? I swear to God, it's a generation of brownies we have today! A bunch of twenty somethings riding skateboards and tiny bicycles. Please bring back the draft.
Geezer Alert! BTW, you forgot to remind him to stay the hell off of your front lawn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Value of a c5 in 2014