Sponsored by:

[Z06] How did you learn to road race?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
weendoggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 171soon
I am drooling at the thought of driving Laguna Seca.... having driven it so many times in Gran Turismo 5 but it looks like they don't have anything scheduled
Keep in mind that LS Mazda Raceway has a 92db rating so you better be within/below that reading, one black flag to fix, two black flags you're done for the rest of whatever time you have. My stock setup Z06does fine so if you have nothing special, you'll be fine. That is one nice track to drive too.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I started in NASA HPDE and Norcal Shelby Club open track days. I went through NASA Groups 1 through 4 and then got my comp license through NASA. Then I went wheel-to-wheel racing in NASA CMC and then moved up to Grand-Am Cup (now called Continental Tire Challenge Series). IMSA and FIA licenses were easy to get with a current NASA or SCCA license. Ayrton Senna's 'Principles of Race Driving' book is an excellent resource as well. Carroll Smith's 'Drive to Win' is also an excellent book. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Neil B; 04-13-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:46 PM
171soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neil B
I started in NASA HPDE and Norcal Shelby Club open track days. I went through NASA Groups 1 through 4 and then got my comp license through NASA. Then I went wheel-to-wheel racing in NASA CMC and then moved up to Grand-Am Cup (now called Continental Tire Challenge Series). IMSA and FIA licenses were easy to get with a current NASA or SCCA license. Ayrton Senna's 'Principles of Race Driving' book is an excellent resource as well. Carroll Smith's 'Drive to Win' is also an excellent book. Good luck to you.
Thanks Neil. That sounds like the type of path I'd like to take, and this gives me an idea of how it all fits together... I wish I weren't starting this at age 30
Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Go here http://nasaproracing.com/ and find your area, I am going to track in 2 weekends. Find the Corvette area start talking to the guys and see if you can get a ride. Determine if you like it or not (whats not to like). Sign up for an event and an instructor will be assigned to you. Some people sign up for the track to work it on weekends to get credit for time on the track with vehicle. Look into what the local club offers.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 171soon
Thanks Neil. That sounds like the type of path I'd like to take, and this gives me an idea of how it all fits together... I wish I weren't starting this at age 30

30 is young

Many guys start in their late 40s to late 50s
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I started at 40. Took that long till I could afford a Z, and realize that street racing just isn't safe or cool.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I started about 5 years ago when I got my first "performance car". I bought an 04 Cobra and started going to the local drag strip on Friday Test-n-Tune nights. Started thinking about how I was going to try to compete in a class and just didn't like how the rules were and got bored of that pretty soon. Its cool to go every now and then, but I couldn't see myself there on a consistent basis.

Then a friend (Z06fix) introduced me to autocross later that year and gave it a try and loved it. Although I had to run in a class I wasn't competitive in (Street Mod), I held my own decently and had plans to build the car for the class and go all out for it. Then that's when he told me "If you think autox is fun, you should try open track HPDE!" That and taking a ride in his C5Z at the time at our local autox prompted me to sell the cobra and buy my own C5Z. I took my C5Z to Nashville Superspeedway for a HPDE event and completely hooked more than I was for autocross. But afer crunching numbers, I realized I wasn't ready financially to do HPDE's and just focus on autox a little longer and get more seat time.

After thinking long and hard about it, I just couldn't see prepping my street C5Z for open track racing... which was my main goal and had been for many years not really knowing how to get involved in racing outside of local dirt tracks. So I sold my C5Z and saved enough money over the next few (very long) months for the T1 C5Z you see in my avatar. But I still didn't have a tow truck or trailer at this time. Saved more money up to finally buy the tow truck I have now and found a great deal on a 28ft enclosed trailer that I have today. All that took place from 2008-2010.

So 2011 I was finally ready to go wheel to wheel racing in Nasa's ST2 class. I really didn't have anyone in my family to "teach" me how to race... other than just watching racing growing up and watching lots of videos online via youtube, vimeo, etc., that's how I learned to race. Its one of the most fun things I've ever done in my life and have already accomplished more than I ever thought I would. But now my goals are much higher and I have a long way to go to get there... but its going to be fun working hard to reach them.

Main goal in the next 5 years is to be the Nasa Super Touring 2 champion. Nothing less will not be good enough. Lots of great competition to be at the top, but I'm ready to take it on.

Edit: I got started when I was 25-26 and now 30... so age doesn't matter. I still race against guys in their 70's that are great drivers.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curb racing, Kind of like walking on rice paper without leaving a print. This will give you all the skills you need to master the art of racing!

Last edited by ctusser; 04-25-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I Really started at age 14. Racing snowmobiles and go-karts in Wisconsin.
But at age 17 ( 1973 ) the costs were to much for a high school kid.
But do wish I had that 1969 Camero ss still
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
171soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by ctusser
Curb racing, Kind of like walking on rice paper without leaving a print. This will give you all the skills you need to master the art of racing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhS5gycZes
Hahaha... What the hell?? That seems like a GREAT way to flip those buggies they're driving!

Quick Reply: [Z06] How did you learn to road race?