Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW short throw shifter VS C6 Z06 shifter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 AM
djamigolxr50
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the MGW shifter, and it performed a lot better than the stock one.
The throws were short, but it was very firm. The anti-venom mod helped a lot (I used two washers since one wasn't enough), but in the end I ended up switching to a C6 Z06 shifter (and I couldn't be happier).

If you love solid and hard shifting MGW is an excellent choice. It's a great shifter for racing on a straight line (drag-strip), and you'll be confident that you have the car in the right gear when shifting quickly.

However, if you go through the gears a lot or simply drive your car a lot on the street (or do track racing), I would advise you to get the C6 or C6Z06 shifter. It requires a lot less effort and provides a more comfortable driving-experience.

In the end you can't go wrong with either choice. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:05 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I have the C6 with anti venom mod, but I still have a hard time downshifting into 2nd. I have to be very deliberate moving it over and back, sometimes it just doesn't go in gear, and I have to try again, by that time it is too late and stopped or made turn. Also does not go into first sometimes.
Anyone else have the 2nd gear down shift issue?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:35 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i can not comment on the MGW shifter as i have never had one, my Z had a stock shifter in her when i bought it, i went to a c6 z06 shifter and i love it, feels leaps and bounds better over the stock C5 setup,,but the key to a proper shifter reguardless of what brand you go with is to making sure its all properly aligned
Old 11-12-2014, 12:54 PM
yow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c6miller
I thought shifting the MGW would often hang up between 4th and 5th gear. I installed a C6 shifter and have been very happy with it. I still have the MGW is anyone wants to make an offer.
Do you have the MGW shifter and lower box? I'm interested if so.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:28 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by yow
Do you have the MGW shifter and lower box? I'm interested if so.

Thanks!
Sorry, sold it.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

so anyone keen on the hurst billet shifter>??

back in the day i had a pro 5.0 shifter in the camaro with a lou's short stick and loved it, so im kinda used to the notchy feeling of it but damn...over 400 to my door, it better be amazing lol
Old 11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
so anyone keen on the hurst billet shifter>??l
i have the hurst shifter in mine was in the car when I bought it at 1st i hatted it but after some research I found that it has tension springs you can play with for the side to side center pressures after toying with it for a week I found the sweet spot that i'm ok with, since I didnt have the stock shifter the only thing i can compare it to is my brother inlaws C6 stock manual shifter, his shifter feels REALLY loose and soft I had problem finding 3rd on a fast shift's since there is so much play in it, when he drove mine he had problem since he was use to his lol

it is tight and notchy throws are short takes a little extra effort to get in reverse but when driving aggressive it really shines 2nd to 3rd is almost imposable to miss, i'll be doing the anti venom mod since it get such great reviews

I'm hoping to run into a local with a MGW some day to see the difference (if any)

Quick Reply: MGW short throw shifter VS C6 Z06 shifter.