Need Help! Ripped off by Dealer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
rickzski
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
Chill out!

First off DON'T point fingers. People are so quick to judge and blame the dealership.

You brought your car to them because of a problem. Unfortunately it can be difficult to determine what the cause of a belt squeal is. Start with what you know is wrong, and the harmonic should not wobble. So they quoted you a the cost to replace the harmonic, YOU OK'd IT. Whether that replaced the problem or not, doesn't matter. Again, YOU OK'd IT.

Now, if you still had a squeaking belt when you picked up the car, you should not have taken it. You should have immediately brought it up to the service writer or managers attention. At the point they would have apologized and offered to take another look at no cost. If they determined the problem then they would most likely offer a discount on parts and labor.

Another point I'd like to bring up with your other mechanic. When you bring a mechanic a problem that has been worked on by another mechanic, the new mechanic is going to play a "hero" role. Meaning, he is going to be quick to blame the other shop for something. In this case it sounds like he is quick to say the harmonic was not replaced. You did say the harmonic doesn't wobble as much, then obviously they did something with it. There should be marks on the bolt that indicates a socket was on it, as well as the bolts on the steering rack. Plus the balancer itself will look fresh.

Keep in mind there are two sides to every story. Take it back to the dealership and talk with their manager and explain your concerns. Don't be judgmental unless you have facts. They will probably help you out.

I don't think going back to the exact same dealer is the answer. I can guarantee you beyond the shadow of all doubt that one thing they will NOT admit to (even if it is true) is that they committed fraud by charging me to change a harmonic balancer that they never changed. I wish there was a way to prove definitively that the HB on the car now was the original one that came with the car. Anyway, my plan is to go into a different dealer, tell them nothing about the history, and ask them if the HB should be wobbling like that. When they say "no", I'll ask them for an estimate to replace it. Then I'll ask them to tell me, in their professional GM mechanic's opinion, if they think the harmonic balancer was recently replaced (maybe I just bought the car and the prior owner told me he replaced it...). When they say "no", I'll get them to indicate that on the estimate as well. After all of this, I will have the preponderance of evidence required to come to some sort of settlement with the original dealer after I re-involve the GM corporate office. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
rickzski
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
All work done by a GM dealer usually comes with a one year warranty on parts and labor. If your HB is still wobbling then take it back and inform them that you indeed took it to an independent shop and they informed you that it was never replaced. If they give you static then take them to small claims court immediatly with a written statement from the independent shop (even if you have to pay them a few bucks for it) and that should be enough proof that the judge would need. In all reality, as soon as they recieve the registered summons from the court no doubt they will magically repair the issue promptly. Going through GM to get anywhere is like asking a five year old what you should do, they are mostly clueless and and will make you jump through hoops and do tricks before you even start to get anywhere. SCC is the way to go if you want results quickly. Good luck to you bro and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks. I'm working on getting the independent mechanic's statement as we speak. I appreciate the thought you put into this. You guys Rock!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
rickzski
Advanced

Originally Posted by killain
I had a similar situation and I got so burned up I called General Motors ?Chevrolet division Customer service. And I gotta tell you the new General Motors Company IS NOT going to take any crap from a dealership. They won't pay for non defective parts, but if the part (As in a known problem in C5's harmonic balance) and they just tightened it up GM is going to remind them of how many Chevrolet dealers are now Ex-Chevrolet dealers and if this outfit would like to join the ex- class. So yes, I'd let GMC deal with the dealership. But have all your paperwork in chronological order and be will to stand your ground. You paid for something which the dealership diagnosed and they didn't do what is the necessary repair plain and simple. If you wanted a broken Corvette you could have brought the car in for a wash and wax and been on your way ? The dealer needs to be held responsible. Took GM 48 hours to get my car back in and fixed and I paid nothing more. The old GM is dead, The new GM isn't going to put up with shoddy work.
That's good to hear. Hopefully, GM will take care of me like they did you.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM
rickzski
Advanced

Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude
25 hours and the dealership name and problem would be in this forum to protect fellow Corvette owners. Then I would be on my way to the Court House.

OBD
Ok. I don't mind telling any of you. The dealer was Lindsay Chevrolet in Woodbridge, VA. Hope this saves some of you some grief.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM
rickzski
Advanced

Originally Posted by memmer
It seems to me that if they claimed that they changed the harmonic balancer and charged you for that service and another mechanic said that it had not been changed, then wouldn't this be called fraud?With all the time and money you have spent trying to solve the problem to no avail then I would think a lawyer might be in order.Steelerships be damned.
Fred
I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM
PilotofCorvette
Instructor

I only deal with "Independents"
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Hey the dealership didn't do this to you. The technician they assigned it to didn't do the job. He got paid. That's why GM said to go back. Talk to the Service Manager. The service writer can't fix it. You sure don't want the original tech touching it. The manager will get it right. If not then you have a legit gripe. They have a CSI rating they have to maintain to keep the general happy.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 PM
rickzski
Advanced

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Hey the dealership didn't do this to you. The technician they assigned it to didn't do the job. He got paid. That's why GM said to go back. Talk to the Service Manager. The service writer can't fix it. You sure don't want the original tech touching it. The manager will get it right. If not then you have a legit gripe. They have a CSI rating they have to maintain to keep the general happy.
Although I agree with you in principal, how can the manager make it right? I concede that it probably cannot be proven beyond all doubt that they ripped me off. However, a preponderance of evidence (if I can get it) would seem to be enough to prove that it was highly likely that they charged me for a HB they didn't replace. If that turns out to be the case, how can the manager make it right? Even if the he has the HB actually replaced for real this time, how would he compensate me for the time and parts I have purchased and installed to fix the squeal that likely would have been fixed if they had replaced the HB in the first place like they told me they did? Also, how would I be compensated by the manager for being a victim of fraud? I'm not trying to throw any darts your way at all. I'm just trying to think this through before I continue to take action tomorrow. The input from everyone, whether or not I agree, has been invaluable to me. You guys are the best!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If they didn't change it, I would think it would look used to some degree. Can't you snap a picture of it showing that it is not a brand new part?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Elvisf16
First of all, you should not be required to pay anything for a Chevy dealership to evaluate your car under these circumstances. I would ask your mechanic if he would be willing to sign an affidavit swearing that the harmonic balancer was never replaced, and/or appear in court and testify, if necessary.

You should be able to get the dealership to correct its "mistake" by negotiating directly with them, with assistance from GM customer service. But that's all they are likely to agreeably do.

If you want them to "pay" more than just the actual damages, you'll need to sue it out, probably in S/C court as others have suggested if you don't want to hire a lawyer. Allege fraud and conversion, and ask for actual damages, plus punitive damages for the tort claims (fraud and conversion...conversion because when you take someone's money for performing a service, and then you don't perform the service, you essentially stole their money).

Sue for actual damages + punitive damages + costs, and make the total equal just below the jurisdictional limit amount of the small claims court in your state. Make sure the total does not go over, because the S/C court would then be deprived of jurisdiction and you'd need an attorney. If you end up in court, you'll need the mechanic live in court, as the affidavit would most likely be ruled inadmissible because it's hearsay.

Good luck.

G.O. "Jed" Morton
In most small claims court you cannot sue for punitive damages. You will get reimbursed for the actual costs that you are out.

As someone else said, have all your paper work in order, take pictures if that is possible or a short video clip that the judge can look at. Reciepts, names, dates ect. A statement from the other mechanic is critical, what his experience is and how he determined that it had not been changed. Lay all this out in a logical chronological order and good luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 PM
3musky3
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

have the independent mechanic install a new balancer and when your belt noise is gone bring your old hb to the dealer and speak to the owner or the general manager have all your reciepts for your tensioners and belts and politely ask to be paid back. if it is the orignal hb it will be easy to tell.(rubber will be cracked or even loose and hanging out like mine was the paint will be faded grooves where belt rides will be worn or even rusty etc). some video of current hb wobbling would also be nice. just went and looked at my old hb and it is very obvious that it is old.

in reply to post 6 retiredsfc97 i sent a pm in reply to rants about diagnosis but it was in no way hateful not even a little the pm is still in my sent messages and would be happy to forward to anyone but with 37k posts maybe you have made enemies and you are not referring to my pm
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 PM
jol
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Go to dealerrater.com and leave an evaluation. They live by this.
My son is an auto dealer...not GM
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM
bumr
Pro

I have had similar experiences with GM dealer service departments. My wife took her '02 Caddy in because of a problem with the coolant reservoir. When they did a back flush of the system, they flushed some blockage into an area that caused her system analysis display to constantly read "Check coolant level". They told her how they had caused it and said she could bring it back in and they could fix it for $150.00. ...really? Twice, she took it in because it was running rough and they put it on the computer and read a sensor gone bad and replaced it. $450.00 a pop. Still ran rough. Finally she took it to the local Suzuki dealer, who we really like. They read and replaced the same sensor but then test drove it and decided that wasn't the problem. They checked it out, finally found a vacuum leak and fixed that. They then replaced the sensor with her old one and charged us only for fixing the vacuum leak, ($125.00), and returned us a fine running car. Wichita's Joe Self Chevrolet will never get another dime of our business. By the way, can anyone recommend a good Corvette service provider in Wichita KS?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Most cities/areas have Corvette clubs that should be able to provide good recommendations on which dealerships, shops, or individuals are good and reliable.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
Chill out!

First off DON'T point fingers. People are so quick to judge and blame the dealership.

You brought your car to them because of a problem. Unfortunately it can be difficult to determine what the cause of a belt squeal is. Start with what you know is wrong, and the harmonic should not wobble. So they quoted you a the cost to replace the harmonic, YOU OK'd IT. Whether that replaced the problem or not, doesn't matter. Again, YOU OK'd IT.

Now, if you still had a squeaking belt when you picked up the car, you should not have taken it. You should have immediately brought it up to the service writer or managers attention. At the point they would have apologized and offered to take another look at no cost. If they determined the problem then they would most likely offer a discount on parts and labor.

Another point I'd like to bring up with your other mechanic. When you bring a mechanic a problem that has been worked on by another mechanic, the new mechanic is going to play a "hero" role. Meaning, he is going to be quick to blame the other shop for something. In this case it sounds like he is quick to say the harmonic was not replaced. You did say the harmonic doesn't wobble as much, then obviously they did something with it. There should be marks on the bolt that indicates a socket was on it, as well as the bolts on the steering rack. Plus the balancer itself will look fresh.

Keep in mind there are two sides to every story. Take it back to the dealership and talk with their manager and explain your concerns. Don't be judgmental unless you have facts. They will probably help you out.

g Good point make it simple look at harmonic balancer with a mirror and flaslight
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by rickzski
I brought my 2000 C5 Chevrolet to my local dealer on 10/10/2011 for a squeaking belt problem. They informed me that I needed a new harmonic balancer since mine had a significant wobble. I let them do it and paid the hefty price. Ever since then, by harmonic balancer has continued to wobble, albeit slightly less than before. The belt squeaking however, has continued from that day. Since then, I have replaced both tensioners (AC and Main Drive), as well as both pulley's and put two new Gatorback belts on it. Even after all of that, the squeaking continued. Yesterday I got tired of hearing the belt squeak and took it to a local (non-GM dealer) mechanic who only works on C5's. He informed me that the harmonic balancer needed replacement. After I told him that I just paid Chevrolet to replace it on 10/10/2011, he told me with complete confidence that my harmonic balancer had NEVER been replaced and that the one on the vehicle was the original one that came with the car. So I called GM customer service (not the dealer) and explained the situation. They would like me to 1.) take it back to the original dealer that ripped me off and 2.) pay them $54 to evaluate it. When I refused to pay anything, they "elevated it" and said I would receive a call back in 24 hours.

So I need some advise on the following:

1.) Do I really need to pay anything? Sheeze, I never paid for an evaluation when I originally brought it to them.
2.) Do I really need to bring it back to the GM dealer that ripped me off in the first place? Seems like a conflict of interest as there is no way they would confirm that they ripped me off.
3.) At this point, I will not be satisfied with simply replacing my harmonic balancer. I want the dealership to pay for ripping me off. What are my options?

I am sooo

Thanks in advance.
they pulled that stunt on me when it was under warranty. Slapped a new belt on with some dressing sent me on the way and got paid by GM.

couple months later warranty is out and guess what needs replacing.

Have your mechanic write an affidavit, get a lawyer if he can prove it was not replaced and willing to deal with the courts.

You will end up spending 700 bux in court fun so your best bet is to just fix it and learn your lesson about dealerships.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bumr
I have had similar experiences with GM dealer service departments. My wife took her '02 Caddy in because of a problem with the coolant reservoir. When they did a back flush of the system, they flushed some blockage into an area that caused her system analysis display to constantly read "Check coolant level". They told her how they had caused it and said she could bring it back in and they could fix it for $150.00. ...really? Twice, she took it in because it was running rough and they put it on the computer and read a sensor gone bad and replaced it. $450.00 a pop. Still ran rough. Finally she took it to the local Suzuki dealer, who we really like. They read and replaced the same sensor but then test drove it and decided that wasn't the problem. They checked it out, finally found a vacuum leak and fixed that. They then replaced the sensor with her old one and charged us only for fixing the vacuum leak, ($125.00), and returned us a fine running car. Wichita's Joe Self Chevrolet will never get another dime of our business. By the way, can anyone recommend a good Corvette service provider in Wichita KS?
Joe Self! They do great vettes,but lousy Caddys.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help! Ripped off by Dealer!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Gsmooth33
Instructor

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I had the same issue with my HB but they (dealer) fixed it for a hefty price. I would make sure the dealer does what you paid for and if they don't .....like everyone else has said...lawyer up
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

No Lawyer is needed since it would be in small claims court. I have gone to small claims court in VA and won the maximum 5k. Back than it cost about 35$ to file plus having the dealership served.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Your old balancer will be dirty compared to a brand new one. That would be easy to get photos and video of.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Ripped off by Dealer!!!