Sponsored by:

Replacing Key Fob Reciever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 AM
ASarsano
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Key Fob Reciever?

ok well i been searching and trying to find the answer im looking for but cant seam to find it.
im having issues with my key fobs. I've replaced batteries in both but can't reprogram them. I have gone into fob training, but it doesnt register either remote when i hold the lock and unlock button. Previously on occasion if i walk out side the car and move around it will pick it up for a second but that was months ago and havent gotten that since. So im looking to check the reciever make sure its all hooked up nothign i can dfo but cant seam to find where its located.
Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

The key FOB receiver also is responsible for the tire pressure monitoring system. If your tire pressure sysem is working with no issues , then I doubt the problem is in the main unit. FOBS do go bad, especially on the older model C5s.
As far as location is concerned, I was told it was above the RR wheel well, accessible from the right side panel in the hatch, but I have never verified it.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 PM
ASarsano
Racer

i should have posted it in the origonal post but the tpms is out as well also seat momory doesnt work like holding button to program is and nothg cant use the presets. im going to look into the reciever first because if im nto mistaken the seats are on a diffrent system correct? thanks for all the tips
Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 PM
ASarsano
Racer

oh and also its an frc so no hatch but should still be in the same location right?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 PM
bj454ss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a new FOB back in February for my 2000 Coupe. GM has them on back order and as of this post I still have not received it.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ASarsano
i should have posted it in the origonal post but the tpms is out as well also seat momory doesnt work like holding button to program is and nothg cant use the presets. im going to look into the reciever first because if im nto mistaken the seats are on a diffrent system correct? thanks for all the tips
Do you have any codes in the DIC? Maybe a comm problem.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As 8Vette7 suggests, RFA failures are rare. Do you have any codes?

If you're happy that's the problem here's the procedure:

Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement
Removal Procedure
Important
The Remote Function Actuation (RFA) system uses the same receiver as the Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system. The service replacement receiver must be programmed to accept both the keyless entry transmitters and the TP sensors.
1. Turn the ignition to OFF.
2. Remove the left rear compartment insulator
3. Gently pull on the retainer at the back side of the receiver
4. Pull out the receiver (3) only enough to expose the connector
5. Disconnect the receiver connector
Installation Procedure
1. Connect the receiver connector
2. Line up the receiver with the slots on the retainer.
3. Snap the receiver into place on the retainer.
4. Install the left rear compartment insulator
5. Program the keyless entry transmitters.
6. Program the TPM sensors.

Name:  RFA.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  58.0 KB

Last edited by DeeGee; 05-11-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 AM
ASarsano
Racer

thanks for all the advice no codes on DIC. relearned the tires for the 4th time and all 4 are back online remote still a no go tried 4 diff remotes so i guess ill have to order new fobs
Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM
millervette
1st Gear

Default Keyless Receiver replacement - more details

I thought I would post a follow-up to this thread as it got me on the right track to replacing the receiver in my C5 coupe. A couple notes: I had the same issues that many people are reporting on the forum. First my key FOBs wouldn't stay programmed. I would reprogram them and within a week they were no longer recognized. Put in new batteries, cleaned the contacts, no luck. Then about 6 months later the tire sensors went out and the warning message came up on the dash. I ordered a replacement receiver for around $300 from one of the vendors on this site. Replacing the receiver is very easy although one step is missing from every post on the subject, how to remove the plastic cover.
Get yourself a utility knife. It's the only tool you need.
Behind the driver seat, there is a plastic trim piece on the underside of the upper deck. You will see a bulge about the size of a deck of cards, this is where the receiver is located. Pull out the carpet from around the speaker and the rear section. The plastic trim is held on with double stick tape. Take your utility knife and gently cut the tape. I cut back about 16 inches. This will give you enough room to access the receiver. The receiver simply clips in. Reach up behind the receiver (the outside edge) and push in on the plastic clip. Then pull down. You can now easily pull out the receiver, unplug the wire connector and replace with your new receiver. You will need a bit of new double stick tape to get the plastic back in place. I had mine replaced in 10 minutes.

Reprogram your key FOBs and Pressure sensors using instructions found in the forums and your back in business.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Key Fob Reciever?

Quick Reply: Replacing Key Fob Reciever?