Sponsored by:

[Z06] ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:09 AM
mad.Z06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clemson3
It sounds like you won't have peace of mind unless you swap them out, so I vote you just go ahead and do that.
Agreed and that's the direction this is heading. Was being optimistic that someone "in the know" could point out a sure fire way to tell. Without a lick of yellow I'm fairly certain they've been replaced - especially if the part for that year was always yellow. That's the detail I can't confirm.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:12 PM
TomcatMike
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go Ahead - Change 'Em!!

Originally Posted by clemson3
It sounds like you won't have peace of mind unless you swap them out, so I vote you just go ahead and do that.
I agree with Clemson3. We had a hard saying in the Navy about documentation of work. Not documented? Not done. If you don't have the documentation, either through a service invoice or a searchable cloud record by a dealer who did the work, then I would get the springs replaced. I had mine replaced with OEM Chevy catalogue official part number springs and the work was done by my local dealer. There are other aftermarket springs out there that are allegedly as good or better. Just do your homework.

According the the anecdotal stuff out there, you can break a spring at your current low mileage, or it might wait until 95,000 miles. But the point is that this engine and certain VIN Lots have already DEMONSTRATED breaks, and those broken springs can result in a ventilated block and total loss of the engine if it occurs at high RPM.

Chevrolet should pay for all those disasters and pay warranty on all the fixes. But it'll never happen.

Pay possibly $8000+ later or spend the roughly $800-$1000 and get new springs and get it done right. This car is too nice and superb driving and fun to worry about such things.

Of course, you could always swap out for a nice new crate LS3 525 motor, add some nice Kook long tube headers as part of the swap, and have a rubber-shredding engine with a factory warranty. That thought is often on my mind. But your miles are too low. Get the new springs!!

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited by TomcatMike; 03-30-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Forgot the sig
The following users liked this post:
Gianna66 (12-06-2021)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:22 PM
mad.Z06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatMike
I agree with Clemson3. We had a hard saying in the Navy about documentation of work. Not documented? Not done. If you don't have the documentation, either through a service invoice or a searchable cloud record by a dealer who did the work, then I would get the springs replaced. I had mine replaced with OEM Chevy catalogue official part number springs and the work was done by my local dealer. There are other aftermarket springs out there that are allegedly as good or better. Just do your homework.

According the the anecdotal stuff out there, you can break a spring at your current low mileage, or it might wait until 95,000 miles. But the point is that this engine and certain VIN Lots have already DEMONSTRATED breaks, and those broken springs can result in a ventilated block and total loss of the engine if it occurs at high RPM.

Chevrolet should pay for all those disasters and pay warranty on all the fixes. But it'll never happen.

Pay possibly $8000+ later or spend the roughly $800-$1000 and get new springs and get it done right. This car is too nice and superb driving and fun to worry about such things.

Of course, you could always swap out for a nice new crate LS3 525 motor, add some nice Kook long tube headers as part of the swap, and have a rubber-shredding engine with a factory warranty. That thought is often on my mind. But your miles are too low. Get the new springs!!

Good luck,
Mike
Great advice, thanks Mike. Was going to replace them as part of a Cam install because there's no sense paying the $800 - $1,000 now and then removing them and and throwing them in the trash as part of a Cam install. Not to mention paying X2 the labor since, quite literally, the same steps need to be taken .
Old 03-30-2018, 12:42 PM
TomcatMike
Advanced

Default New Cam

Originally Posted by mad.Z06
Great advice, thanks Mike. Was going to replace them as part of a Cam install because there's no sense paying the $800 - $1,000 now and then removing them and and throwing them in the trash as part of a Cam install. Not to mention paying X2 the labor since, quite literally, the same steps need to be taken .

Just a quick note on a new cam. I was all hot-to-trot to get a new cam. I plan to have new Kook long-tube headers, new CATS, and new O2 sensors installed, possibly add a Corsa exhaust, in the next couple of months. Already have it budgeted with a quote from the shop.

I was told, candidly, by the shop, that a new cam is not a drop-in plug-and-play deal. The cam swap needs to be thoughtfully and logically engineered and installed and dyno'd. Probably needs to be dialed in and degreed professionally, depending on your requirements. You're talking a lot of money, so make sure that the headers and cam swap are worth the mere 40 to 50+ HP increase. He'll be glad to take my money, but we're talking $3500 for just the cam work alone.

Do the springs, mebbe the Kook headers, and have someone do a good dyno job with appropriate chip update so that the car remains driveable on the street and you can live with it long term everyday. That's far cheaper than adding the cam and new springs (and rocker arms) too.

Just a thought . . . . .

Good luck,
Mike
Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 PM
joesephus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if my last digits on my 2003 z are 30034 I should be in pretty good shape?
Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joesephus
if my last digits on my 2003 z are 30034 I should be in pretty good shape?
Likely not. It appears daunting at first, but is doable at home. Get the dual valve spring compressor tool and it goes twice as fast.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:42 AM
TomcatMike
Advanced

Default C5 Z06 Valve Springs

Originally Posted by Trash
Likely not. It appears daunting at first, but is doable at home. Get the dual valve spring compressor tool and it goes twice as fast.
Yes, it can be done at home. But ensure you have the spark plug hole adapter and compressed air to keep the valves closed and seated anytime the spring keepers are off. This is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL!!

Back to your VIN - mine was in the moderate risk category, so it was a no-brainer to replace the springs. Look at it this way - regardless if it's Low, Medium, or High Risk, the Impact if you drop a valve at 4000 RPM will be very HIGH, and you are looking at a new motor if the piston, rod, crank, block are all boogered up. Parts and Labor will run you the south side of $1000, depending on where you go. I bought my own Chevy OEM springs out of the catalogue, and my local Chevy dealer, who has a Corvette expert, charged about $700 for the labor. Cheaper than $6000+ for a new or used motor.

Since then, I have added new Kook Long-Tube headers and Kook Hi-Flo CAT-back X-Pipes. It was dyno'd with three runs to redline and pulled 383 RWHP, which equates roughly to 440-450 HP at the crank.

Go ahead - replace them. It's the right thing to do.

Best of luck to you.
Mike
Old 09-21-2018, 02:59 PM
TomcatMike
Advanced

Originally Posted by TomcatMike
Yes, it can be done at home. But ensure you have the spark plug hole adapter and compressed air to keep the valves closed and seated anytime the spring keepers are off. This is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL!!

Back to your VIN - mine was in the moderate risk category, so it was a no-brainer to replace the springs. Look at it this way - regardless if it's Low, Medium, or High Risk, the Impact if you drop a valve at 4000 RPM will be very HIGH, and you are looking at a new motor if the piston, rod, crank, block are all boogered up. Parts and Labor will run you the south side of $1000, depending on where you go. I bought my own Chevy OEM springs out of the catalogue, and my local Chevy dealer, who has a Corvette expert, charged about $700 for the labor. Cheaper than $6000+ for a new or used motor.

Since then, I have added new Kook Long-Tube headers and Kook Hi-Flo CAT-back X-Pipes. It was dyno'd with three runs to redline and pulled 383 RWHP, which equates roughly to 440-450 HP at the crank.

Go ahead - replace them. It's the right thing to do.

Best of luck to you.
Mike
Quick caveat. To address the response from Trash, he provided me a very detailed way back in early 2015 how to do the valve springs without using compressed air. One has to rotate the crankshaft to TDC for the applicable cylinder. This allows the valves to drop only a very short distance onto the piston. This method can be time consuming. I got started, found I needed 3.6 hands, had no help, and aborted. It's tedious but doable.

Best thing is to get the plug hole adapter and compressed air - should work well regardless of the piston position.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 PM
s2kpunisher
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know if this VIN of my buddy’s 03’ is affected?

1G1YY12S535132686
Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 PM
camaross1618
Intermediate

Never too late to join this club I guess. 2003 Z06 with 36,500 miles and cylinder #3 has a broken valve spring. Looks like I got really lucky and the valve didn't drop and still holds compression but will be digging deeper for the inspection just to be sure. I'll get the car's build date number when I get the car back.

Add me to the statistics and please change your valve springs to those who have not

Last edited by camaross1618; 10-14-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: picture too big
ArmchairArchitect (05-07-2019)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:54 PM
joesephus
Advanced

what springs would be best to go with, my 03 was built in april, is it in the range most dangerous or least or somewhere in the middle.Either way I am gonna swap em, was quoted 600 and parts. Just want to make sure I get good springs from gm, thanks jy
Old 02-17-2019, 03:28 AM
Elliottl07
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is all the info on vins right down to the day. Production and number made on that with vin range

2002 http://www.c5registry.com/membersonl...2002c5prod.htm

2003 http://www.c5registry.com/membersonl...2003/index.htm

2004 http://www.c5registry.com/membersonl...2004/index.htm

other years and info http://www.c5registry.com/membersonlly/production.htm

my car was made Monday August 12th 2002 around late afternoon
Old 03-14-2019, 09:33 PM
Markace
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap insurance

So I decided to change the valve springs in my 2003 z06. Build day 12/5/2002. Even though I’m not really in the so called danger zone. I have 41k miles on it. Well just picked it up from my mechanic and he said two of the yellow original springs had small cracks in them and he felt they were weak and probably would have failed. He also said the valves where those springs were located were a little lower than the rest. Looks like my cheap insurance might have paid dividends. Looks like I might have dodged a huge bullet there. Thanks to this forum and the OP. Owe you a beer if you’re ever in north Florida .
Old 05-04-2019, 08:49 PM
1GeorgieBoy
Navigator

Default Broken valve spring

#3 Broken intake valve spring,
06/01
82,000 miles
Driving at 38 mph

Originally Posted by skyavonee
A big thanks goes out to the following CF members who submitted build date info, either directly or indirectly.

2002rich
24hr Z06
250kicker
2K3Z06
ACE10000D
Aerodan
aquachuck1
bignasty
bikerbabcock
bing44
Black 02
BlackZ2003
blazer427X3
Blue Angel
Boilerdawg
callie454
charlie808
CrazyInBlack
dart.deanda
dbaker
DEAN'S98@11.13
Dude.
Eric Reeves
fredl11
IH8PONYS
janky
Jmzo6
KLR Z06
levettegrl
liquidforce917
ltborg
MattyMaxMac
MikeD33
MIKER
MDS24K
Mooty1
MustGoFaster
Mwortham
MY03C5Z
NBM LS1 M6
neetstuff55
Old as Dirt
Quicksilver Z06
redroket
Robert R1
rolexfix
SoCalSteve
Sothpaw2
Speeed-Racer
SteveDotenMotorsports
Sw48
Titan22
Tom03Z06
Torqaholic
tricep
varkwso
VladWalt
Wild Horzes
Wire5150
WS-6SLEEPER
Xx_Black-out
Yakisobau
ZeeOhSix597
zeke2u

Any more data out there?
Old 05-05-2019, 09:11 PM
joesephus
Advanced

Default valve

what year, build date and mods on your vette?
Old 05-06-2019, 10:38 PM
joesephus
Advanced

I have a 2003 april build z, using the numbers what % chance do I have breaking a spring out of total built? If I read this correct there are less than 200 reported overall and less in my build timeline. I know some will say ok don't replace springs and when your breaks don't say we didn't warn you but I really wonder if spending 1000.00 to fix a issue that is 98% sure not to happen if its money well spent. Sure if I was tracking car I could see need to swap regularly but just basic driving is it really a problem of any substance or simply a over reaction to a few reported breaks. How many I wonder haven't changed springs and no issues and still on the road. Don't take me wrong I applaud the study that's gone into this but would like some clarity of overall danger % wise, thanks
Old 05-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joesephus
I have a 2003 april build z, using the numbers what % chance do I have breaking a spring out of total built? If I read this correct there are less than 200 reported overall and less in my build timeline. I know some will say ok don't replace springs and when your breaks don't say we didn't warn you but I really wonder if spending 1000.00 to fix a issue that is 98% sure not to happen if its money well spent. Sure if I was tracking car I could see need to swap regularly but just basic driving is it really a problem of any substance or simply a over reaction to a few reported breaks. How many I wonder haven't changed springs and no issues and still on the road. Don't take me wrong I applaud the study that's gone into this but would like some clarity of overall danger % wise, thanks
It is difficult to give a percentage chance of the event occurring. While there may be less than 200 reported issues that is ONLY from current members and is far smaller than the number of cars out there. I'm sure there are many more out there that haven't been documented here.

Regarding cost, it shouldn't cost $1000 to replace the springs. On the low end $70 for GM springs and about $150 for the LS dual valve spring compressor (which I highly recommend if doing it yourself). High end perhaps $225 or so for PAC springs and a shop to do the labor would run to about $600-$800 total (parts included).

Do not get lulled into thinking it only happens at high rpm (i.e tracking the car). Failures have occurred in all regimes, from idle at a stop light to normal cruise to high rpm events. No rhyme or reason. Some failures have occurred within a few thousand miles of the car being brand new, while others have had them fail approaching 90,000 miles. And there are those people who haven't had them fail at all. Ultimately it comes down to risk management. The odds 'might' be low that the springs fail, but the potential consequences are enormous should the valve drop. Is it worth the $250-800 insurance to salvage a potential $8000+ motor repair? That is MUCH more involved than the spring swap.

I was like you, mulling over whether I wanted to roll the dice on the swap. My car is a Jan 2002 build and on the outer edge of the bell curve failure zone. Then another member whose car was built one week after mine broke a spring. For peace of mind I swapped mine out at that point.

Hope this helps. If you want to perform the work yourself I have he LS dual valve spring compressor I would be willing to loan you. Two other members have taken me up on this so far.

Best of luck.
ArmchairArchitect (06-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***

Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
It is difficult to give a percentage chance of the event occurring. While there may be less than 200 reported issues that is ONLY from current members and is far smaller than the number of cars out there. I'm sure there are many more out there that haven't been documented here.

Regarding cost, it shouldn't cost $1000 to replace the springs. On the low end $70 for GM springs and about $150 for the LS dual valve spring compressor (which I highly recommend if doing it yourself). High end perhaps $225 or so for PAC springs and a shop to do the labor would run to about $600-$800 total (parts included).

Do not get lulled into thinking it only happens at high rpm (i.e tracking the car). Failures have occurred in all regimes, from idle at a stop light to normal cruise to high rpm events. No rhyme or reason. Some failures have occurred within a few thousand miles of the car being brand new, while others have had them fail approaching 90,000 miles. And there are those people who haven't had them fail at all. Ultimately it comes down to risk management. The odds 'might' be low that the springs fail, but the potential consequences are enormous should the valve drop. Is it worth the $250-800 insurance to salvage a potential $8000+ motor repair? That is MUCH more involved than the spring swap.

I was like you, mulling over whether I wanted to roll the dice on the swap. My car is a Jan 2002 build and on the outer edge of the bell curve failure zone. Then another member whose car was built one week after mine broke a spring. For peace of mind I swapped mine out at that point.

Hope this helps. If you want to perform the work yourself I have he LS dual valve spring compressor I would be willing to loan you. Two other members have taken me up on this so far.

Best of luck.
Same situation as the C6 valve guides.. drive it off the lot and kaboooom, drive for 3 yrs kaboooom never know, Guys are doing the heads to be on the safe side, the C5 valve spring is the same deal, why wait, do it now.
The following 2 users liked this post by walleyejack:
ArmchairArchitect (06-19-2019), Black 03 Z06 (06-16-2019)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:04 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Changed my valvesprings out to duals with cam swap @ 67k.

Peace of mind 💯

2002 C5 Z06
Build date: 9/01
Old 09-18-2020, 05:48 PM
kasual1
1st Gear

Hi... I was looking at your post :
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-failures.html

and I do not see the plot... I was wondering if it is available?

My VIN ==> ...103636 for a 2002 Z06 built August 13, 2001.

I have a feeling that this is in the lower risk section...
i.e. : - Early 2002 models (VINs under 20000) are over 6 times as likely to experience a valve spring failure than the baseline.

But I would like to see the graphic...

Thanks,
Karl

Quick Reply: [Z06] ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***