Sponsored by:

[Z06] ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTX86
I bought my Z06 used with 1 previous owner. I have no idea who that person was so I can't just ask them. Is there any way to tell if the valve springs have been changed already?

My car was built mid-April 2003
Have the dealer run a service history of the car. If the previous owner had the springs changed by a dealer, it should be in the computer. Or, ask the previous owner.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Vette_UK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Do not use those valve guide seals - those are for double valve spring setups. They do not have the built-in spring seat for the valve spring when using single beehive type valve springs, so you'd have to use steel seats on your heads if you use those seals.

Get the OEM GM valve guide seals, they are just as good or better than any aftermarket seal.

The PAC 1218s are fine, and the PAC 1518s are the same springs, but with more spring surface treatments to make them even more reliable and slightly higher lift capable. Can't go wrong with PAC springs either way.

This looks like a good kit ... has new GM guide seals and retainers for an extra $20 (good value since seals alone will run you ~$50 at the dealer).
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4040-pr...pring-kit.aspx

Here's what the GM seals look like - on the right. Note the steel base of the seal assembly is the valve spring seat that protects the aluminum head from getting chewed up by the spring.

Thanks for the info. I had placed the order but due to shipping outside of the US being as difficult as blood from a stone recently (?!) I have opportunity to change the order.
The kit you pointed out looks good, I will look into it.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 03:33 AM
charlie808
Cruising

are you still collecting data on valve spring failures? My 2003 Z06 with less than 27k miles looks to have sucked a valve and destroyed the engine, tear-down pending. I would be glad to add to your data base. Do you have any recommendations regarding replacement, ie GM crate versus shop build? I have been looking at the GM replacements and see two part numbers that are very similar (17801268 vs 19210918) Any idea what the difference is and which is the appropriate replacement for the 03 Z06? Finally, has GM corrected the problem on crate engines and have they done anything to help those who have been affected?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:58 AM
charlie808
Cruising

Are you still collecting data regarding valve spring failures in C5 Z06s? My 03 with less than 27k miles appears to have sucked a valve and destroyed the engine (pending tear-down).
Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie808
are you still collecting data on valve spring failures? My 2003 Z06 with less than 27k miles looks to have sucked a valve and destroyed the engine, tear-down pending. I would be glad to add to your data base.
Yes, please post the last 5 digits of your VIN, or send it to me in a private message.

Do you have any recommendations regarding replacement, ie GM crate versus shop build? I have been looking at the GM replacements and see two part numbers that are very similar (17801268 vs 19210918) Any idea what the difference is and which is the appropriate replacement for the 03 Z06?
Personally, if I blew an engine and wanted to rebuild, I would consider the GMPP LS376/480, although it wouldn't be as simple of a drop-in like a LS6 would be: http://store.chevroletperformance.co...do?prodId=8202

Finally, has GM corrected the problem on crate engines and have they done anything to help those who have been affected?
Yes, they corrected the problem. No, they haven't helped the with blown motors.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:39 AM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So the general consensus of the Forum AND members is, that the PAC 1218s are the springs to buy? No seals needed to protect the aluminum surface of the heads? Just springs only? I'm as green as one can get when it comes to engine work...just rely HEAVILY on what I read here, and go with it. Texas Speed seems like the shop to order these 1218's from? Now.......... to locate a reliable shop around the Marietta, OH area to do this minor 'surgery' to my unmolested Z06.....
Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I have read much of this thread, maybe not enough to answer my question but I wonder based on my serial number if my car is in the high risk category. I have tried to find a build date for my Z06 but have not had much luck. I checked the build sheet that came with the car but it does not list a date of manufacture.

Based on that if my last six digits of the VIN are 134776 can someone tell me when my car was built and does this require immediate replacement of the valve springs. The car is low milage, 17K kilometres (around 11K miles I think) but milage does not seem to have been a factor in some of the failures. Also when valve springs have been replaced are most people using GM parts or heading to the aftermarket?

Any information would be appreciated. I did a search on build dates but came up empty.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Any information would be appreciated. I did a search on build dates but came up empty.
The build date (month & year) is on the sticker located on the end of the driver's side door. Is your sticker missing?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:29 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zeeman
So the general consensus of the Forum AND members is, that the PAC 1218s are the springs to buy? No seals needed to protect the aluminum surface of the heads? Just springs only?
Most people go with PAC 1218s or 1518s. As hashed over many times in this thread, 1518s have the same exact spring rate but are even more reliable because they are micro shot peened and have a nitrited surface threatment.

The OEM valve guide seals have the steel spring seat built in - see image below. So just use the OEM valve guide seals and you don't have to worry about spring seats. BUT, if you are going to use some other maker of valve guide seals you WILL need steel spring seats to protect the aluminum heads.

Name:  dart_valve_seal.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  16.2 KB

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 10-12-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The build date (month & year) is on the sticker located on the end of the driver's side door. Is your sticker missing?
June 2003, never thought to look there so thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. Appears to be in the high risk area for failure.

Thanks also for supplying the part numbers for both sets of springs in the other post. I guess I better budget for this modification in the spring. Car is resting now.

Appreciated.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 PM
charlie808
Cruising

Default C5 Z06 valve spring issue

Many thanks to SKYAVONEE for the research regarding the C5 Z06 valve spring issue. Whats really a shame is that GM/Chevrolet has really done nothing to address the problem or do the right thing for its customers and I do hope that someone from Chevrolet Customer Service actually does read these posts. Hard to believe also that with less than 10 years since these engines were produced, Chevrolet has walked away from the engine and you cant find a new one anywhere. With all of the failures experienced in the 2002 and 2003 year models, they, based on warranty issues, even early on, must have known there was a problem. Too bad for me I wasnt reading this thread much earlier. I finally found an 03 engine with less than 28k on it out of a side swipe total and have already ordered PAC 1518 valve springs to replace originals. My engine had less than 26k on it when it sucked a valve and froze the engine. I have always been a Corvette person and have owned five, but this may well be my last. Going to drive it awhile and see if i can get the bad taste out of my mouth.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:11 PM
ZO6DRIVER
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liquidforce917
Add me to the list. 2003 Z with broken valve spring on the pass side. happened today on the interstate at about 1700 rpm.

If someone could please direct me to a good replacement spring set, and other materials i will need. Cam is stock.

this is what i am looking at:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-439-pac...ve-spring.aspx

That's exact spring breakage I had on my 03 Z 125K miles but on Dr. side... We got Damn LUCKY....
Old 10-22-2013, 03:42 PM
dart.deanda
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...0%22-Lift.html

Here's what I used. I found it difficult to get the valve stem seals back on. My valve dropped into the piston and I had to pull the head, wound up pulling both heads, and ARP studding the block with time serts. Major PITA...

These springs use stock retainers. The black piece goes on the bottom, and the chrome piece goes on top.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Driver220
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced my springs (preventatively) with PAC1218s 3k miles ago, no problems since...I only have bolt ons and dont plan on doing a cam...a supercharger if anything, but no cam...1218s were fine, could have done 1518s too, but I saw no benefit. If i ever need to change them I will. Used the original keepers, seats, and seals too because mine only had 8k on them.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:22 PM
charlie808
Cruising

You are lucky. I ordered the PAC 1518 valve springs, which was pretty much what everyone recommended. I looked around a lot and found the least expensive at New Era Performance in Rochester, NY at about $224 with free shipping. I havent gotten them yet so I can't attest to the service and delivery, but they do have free shipping too.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:27 AM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Default Valve Spring Install

Heading to the Dealer on Monday, the 11th, to have them replace the factory springs (with blue ones) and the valve seals. VIN#(Last 5 digits...22686).

This will be done only because of my VIN# being in the high risk factor for spring breakage. Mileage on the Z is only 22.5K.... May have the wires/plugs replaced as well, but will await and see what the mechanic has to report on the condition of them.

After her "surgery", she'll be put in the bed for winter storage....On a battery tender until Spring......
Old 11-08-2013, 01:22 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heading to the Dealer on Monday, the 11th, to have them replace the factory springs (with blue ones) and the valve seals. VIN#(Last 5 digits...22686).

This will be done only because of my VIN# being in the high risk factor for spring breakage. Mileage on the Z is only 22.5K.... May have the wires/plugs replaced as well, but will await and see what the mechanic has to report on the condition of them.

After her "surgery", she'll be put in the bed for winter storage....On a battery tender until Spring......
Zeeman do you care to quote how much $$ the dealer is charging you just for the spring replacement and seals?

Get notified of new replies

To ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***

Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GenerationX1
Zeeman do you care to quote how much $$ the dealer is charging you just for the spring replacement and seals?
Nope...Don't mind whatsoever....Quote for the valve spring replacement, was $450....Then I decided to just go ahead and have the seals replaced too while the springs were being replaced.... I never asked to give me another quote after that decision, but with the seals being right there, pretty simple to replace those without much more labor....? They did say the book had that job taking 5.5 hrs. to do.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:01 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope...Don't mind whatsoever....Quote for the valve spring replacement, was $450....Then I decided to just go ahead and have the seals replaced too while the springs were being replaced.... I never asked to give me another quote after that decision, but with the seals being right there, pretty simple to replace those without much more labor....? They did say the book had that job taking 5.5 hrs. to do.
Thank you SIR!!! I have a early build date for my 2002 C5Z of 09/01 so I'm not in the super high risk but I think it's still worth it to have the job done for peace of mind.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:52 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

May have the wires/plugs replaced as well, but will await and see what the mechanic has to report on the condition of them.
The mechanic is probably going to damage a few getting them off ... they are a bear to remove without damaging them since they've been on so long. I'd plan on a set of plug wires too.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***