C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 B & M Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by FNFastZ06

Love mine too. I also found doing the Anti-Venom mod (adding washers to the detent spring at the tranny) helped with the added notchy feel and really smoothed out the action.
Also add Amsoil Torgue Drive Tranny fluid and everthing will be as smooth as butter. DId this with my '98. Zuti
Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced a C6-Z06 shifter, with a B&M, in my car yesterday and so far I love it... The throw is amazingly shorter. It definitely takes some getting used to. It does take more effort, and I've done the anti-venom (1 washer) mod. I can't imagine this shifter without the mod.

But the shifts are much more precise, and did I say the quick...

Anybody interested in a shortened '07 Z06 shifter???

Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by roscoe118
I replaced a C6-Z06 shifter, with a B&M, in my car yesterday and so far I love it... The throw is amazingly shorter. It definitely takes some getting used to. It does take more effort, and I've done the anti-venom (1 washer) mod. I can't imagine this shifter without the mod.

Does it come with the shifter box?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 PM
tteich01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone explain the Anti-Venom mod? How it works and what it does? Is there any way that this over time will harm the transmission?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by tteich01
can someone explain the Anti-Venom mod? How it works and what it does? Is there any way that this over time will harm the
transmission?
Update: Found it! (see link below)

Do a search on this forum. There's a great write up. I can't look for it now, but if I get time later I'll post the link. It takes about 10 minutes once you get the rear of the car in the air. Basically, you remove the detent from your trans (backs right out with a ratchet and socket, toughest part is finding the detent - it's easy to access and get out once you find it), and add one or two copper washers. This decreases the amount of detent on the detent bolt and makes shifting easier. I started with one and went to two. Check it out, it's a really cheap mod! Zuti
Here you go:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ever-need.html

Last edited by Zuti; 07-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by tuscanycircle
The one I have, pictured above, is called "Precision Sport Shifter". I've seen pictures of another, without the vibration-isolating design and with a single straight-through shaft. I think that's the Ripper.

This is a trait inherent in the transmission, having nothing to do with the shifter. Even the owner's manual references it. The most effective recovery is to double-clutch (while in neutral, release and re-depress the clutch, then try again to engage first gear). It's just how the synchros and dog teeth are structured in the transmission, I believe.

This is the link I just used to do mine and found it to be awesome: http://www.toquez06.com/avm.html (Thanks, Mark!) I had some minor difficulty finding the right washer/gasket, but eventually found the Dorman 095-023 matches the Oil-Tite 65277 pictured on Mark's page.
Thanks for that reply. I eventually found Marks page, pretty darned impressive, LOTS of good info. It's efforts like that that make this site worthwhile. Thanks also for the washer part number, I'm definitely going to do that mod.

I don't remember seeing the 1st gear issue in the owners manual, I'll look again. I find that if I go into second gear it pops right into first. That and going into first before coming to a dead stop also helps. It clearly seems to be a synchronizer issue to me.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nvusgt
Does it come with the shifter box?
Sorry, no box...Just the shifter.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach62
I don't remember seeing the 1st gear issue in the owners manual, I'll look again. I find that if I go into second gear it pops right into first. That and going into first before coming to a dead stop also helps. It clearly seems to be a synchronizer issue to me.
It doesn't exactly stand out, but it's there. In my '02 manual on page 2-31, in the Manual Transmission Operation section, it says:
You can shift into FIRST (1) when you’re going less than 40 mph (64 km/h). If you’ve come to a complete stop and it’s hard to shift into FIRST (1), put the shift lever in NEUTRAL and let up on the clutch. Press the clutch pedal back down. Then shift into FIRST (1).

I too find that going into second usually works, but sometimes this isn't sufficient and the double-clutch (to get the synchro spinning again, I think) is needed. Because of this, I've been favoring the double-clutch action instead of relying upon second, but it takes some practice to be as fast as using second.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by roscoe118

I'm hoping to make the same swap this weekend. But I want to use 2 washers on the anti-venom mod based on the posts above, and so far I've only been able to get one from NAPA---the only one my store had. Apparently their inventory control leaves a lot to be desired; they've ordered one in from other stores that showed inventory, and twice the other stores have been out of stock too! Must be a lot of anti-venom mods being done out there
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Give our new shifter a try... the TPS Attack. I'm sure your like it alot. We're running a promotion on it for $129.99 shipped to your door right now and it comes with a straight or angled handle

Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardinal Flyer
I'm hoping to make the same swap this weekend. But I want to use 2 washers on the anti-venom mod based on the posts above, and so far I've only been able to get one from NAPA---the only one my store had. Apparently their inventory control leaves a lot to be desired; they've ordered one in from other stores that showed inventory, and twice the other stores have been out of stock too! Must be a lot of anti-venom mods being done out there
UPDATE:
Shifter's been in for 2 weeks now, and thanks to Tuscany I've got plenty of washers. Based on how it feels without the anti-venom mod (Really, Really Good!), I've decided to try only 1 washer--and I'm in no rush to find a hoist. I'm actually glad now that I wasn't able to lift the car and do the mod at the same time as I installed the shifter! As someone else said, the "feel" of a shifter is really a personal thing.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardinal Flyer
Based on how it feels without the anti-venom mod (Really, Really Good!), I've decided to try only 1 washer--and I'm in no rush to find a hoist.
In my experience, the difference in notchiness among zero, one, and two antivenom washers is pretty small. It's noticeable, to be sure, but there's definitely no transition from notchy to slippery. It's merely a change from notchy (zero washers) to slightly less notchy (one washer) to still-notchy-but-requires-less-effort-to-overcome (two washers).

I ran with my shorter shifter but without any antivenom mod for several months and didn't mind at all. Adding the washer certainly helped some, but it's not nearly significant enough to be a make-it-or-break-it kind of factor in choosing a shorter shifter.

Is this similar to others' experiences?

Quick Reply: C5 B & M Shifter Review