Gas smell after I fill up the tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Gas smell after I fill up the tank

Starting about 6 months ago...every time I fill up the tank with gasoline then drive home, park in the garage, and close the garage door, the gasoline smell soon overhwelms my garage.

No...I don't top off the tank. I only round it to the next $0.10 (and given current prices for super unleaded, that isn't much).

Further, once I drive about 30 miles on that tankfull, the gasoline smell is no longer noticeable.

So...do these symptoms suggest I need to replace the gas cap? Or perhaps is something more sinister going on?

Your thoughts, please.

The Lizzard
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Could be a failed cross-over pipe which was previously recalled or a damaged carbon cannister which is located right behind the driver's seat.

Have you pulled any codes?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
PY310L
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id start wih a new gas cap first. If that doesnt work. You may have a leak in the line somewhere or a hairline crack in the fuel tank. Is there any fuel on he ground in the garage? After you run this tank dry. Re fuel only filling up half the tank. And see if the smells still there. If not then the tanks the problem.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PY310L
Id start wih a new gas cap first. If that doesnt work. You may have a leak in the line somewhere or a hairline crack in the fuel tank. Is there any fuel on he ground in the garage? After you run this tank dry. Re fuel only filling up half the tank. And see if the smells still there. If not then the tanks the problem.
No noticeable fuel leak anywhere, at any time. So I'll try a new gas cap first, then work my way up to the more compicated (and expensive) potential problems.

The car's about worn out: a 2002 with 16K miles on the clock.

the Lizzard
Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 PM
PY310L
Instructor

This sounds dumb but make sure you click the gas cap around couple of times. Could just be vapor. Hopefuly. Good luck
Old 08-24-2012, 01:53 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You have an 02 so I'll assume its not the crossover pipe issue which was a problem with the 04s.

There were a lot of fuel leaks a while ago and I took a look at the book to find out which connections could leak. I posted this which might help.

Start by examining the fuel filter connections next to the exhaust system.

The main fill pipe routes from the cap to the tank. There’s a connector at each end of the fill pipe. One of the early problems was slow filling and GM redesigned the fill pipe to get a better flow.

1. Fuel filler hose
2. Vent pipe

Next check the fuel sender, the aux fuel rear return pipe that connects the jet pump to the left tank and the aux fuel feed rear pipe that connects the left tank to the jet pump at the fuel sender. The FLVV hose routes to the EVAP canister. Finally the crossover pipe connects the two tanks but that’s at the top of the tank so I guess it would be hard to see from below.

1. Auxiliary fuel return rear pipe from the jet pump to the left tank.
2. Fuel return rear pipe.
3. Fuel feed rear pipe at the fuel sender

If the leak doesn't show until the tank is getting full that would be the time when the fuel is starting to fill the right tank via the crossover pipe. It may give a clue.

1. Left fuel tank EVAP pipe.
2. EVAP pipe quick-connect fitting.
3. Right fuel tank EVAP pipe.
4. EVAP pipe quick-connect fitting.
5. Tank crossover hose
6. EVAP pipe quick-connect fitting.

I've never looked in there so not sure how easy it will be to see all these connections but I'd guess you'd need to get the car up on a lift.

HTH
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Associated Thread

A long thread but worth a read

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...or-smells.html
Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I just went through this. If it is after fill up only it may be a leak at the top of the tank. Mine had a bad seam and seeped as fuel heated and expanded. I had to replace the right tank. Remove the shield at the rear of the tank and look for signs of leak.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:40 AM
jsbzoh6
Racer

I had to replace the passenger side fuel tank due to a leak around one of the sensors on the top. Same symptoms as yours. Try and fill it up and take it immediately home and look up there and see if you can see/smell any gas.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some good advice given. Sure hope it turns out to be something relatively simple and easily (that is less costly) to repair.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Cajun1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
No noticeable fuel leak anywhere, at any time. So I'll try a new gas cap first, then work my way up to the more compicated (and expensive) potential problems.

The car's about worn out: a 2002 with 16K miles on the clock.

the Lizzard
Lizzard, did you finally find the problem? My problem is identical, 2002 convertible, low mileage, etc. Any info appreciated.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:34 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cajun1
Lizzard, did you finally find the problem? My problem is identical, 2002 convertible, low mileage, etc. Any info appreciated.
Nope...never found and corrected the problem. So after I fill up the tank I'm forced to drive the car for 10 miles before (or drive the 1 and 1/2 miles straight home and endure the gas smell when) I park the car in the garage.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Cajun1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
Nope...never found and corrected the problem. So after I fill up the tank I'm forced to drive the car for 10 miles before (or drive the 1 and 1/2 miles straight home and endure the gas smell when) I park the car in the garage.
Thanks much. When you get home with a full tank, have you tried loosening the gas cap for a few seconds and re-tightening it? I presume you tried a new cap? What started my problem was when I drove home directly from the pump(1.5 miles) and parked it in the hot garage(MISTAKE). Gas smell so strong in the morning I looked under the car and saw that about a few tablespoons of gas had dripped on the floor. Since then, the smell is less but still present occassionally. When I next fill up I'm going to fill with a finite # of gallons, say 10, based on using 25 mpg, thereby keeping it several gallons less than full.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks much. When you get home with a full tank, have you tried loosening the gas cap for a few seconds and re-tightening it? I presume you tried a new cap? What started my problem was when I drove home directly from the pump(1.5 miles) and parked it in the hot garage(MISTAKE). Gas smell so strong in the morning I looked under the car and saw that about a few tablespoons of gas had dripped on the floor. Since then, the smell is less but still present occassionally. When I next fill up I'm going to fill with a finite # of gallons, say 10, based on using 25 mpg, thereby keeping it several gallons less than full.
Loosening and then tightening the cap for a few seconds sounds like a good idea...I'll try it.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:20 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would check the connections from the fuel nozzle to the tank first. When we first got our 2003 I used to try and top it off when I filled it and every time I did this the car just reeked of gas. Now when I fill it up I remove the pump hose when it clicks off. Have not smelled gas since. I know you said you do not top off but I thought it was worth mentioning. I know I have not fixed my problem but until the gas fumes return I'm fine with it. Some times you have to just pick your battles. Good luck with your problem and please let us know what you found and what it took to fix it.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:33 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by torchredmadness
...When we first got our 2003 I used to try and top it off when I filled it and every time I did this the car just reeked of gas. Now when I fill it up I remove the pump hose when it clicks off...
I don't top off when I fill up the C5. Besides, topping off adds only about 1 to 2 tenths of a gallon, at best. This is in marked contrast to filling up my Explorer (or its predecessor, an Edge). The gas pump's automatic shut-off for those two vehicles was almost always 2 gallons shy of a true fill up. I think it is a Ford thing, and allows them to claim that they are being more environmentally responsible. But for me, efficiency (minimizing the number of times I have to refill) is more important.

However, I do always round up my fill to the next $0.05. Why? Because it allows me to monitor and see whether someone else has used my credit card for a gas purchase. Hasn't happened yet, but still....
Old 08-17-2015, 08:28 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by torchredmadness
I would check the connections from the fuel nozzle to the tank first........
And that requires more than just opening the fuel door and looking at things.

Remove L/R wheel, remove wheel well liner, examine/check clamps on both ends of filler neck hose leading to driver's side tank. Also examine the tank vent line nearby.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas smell after I fill up the tank

Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Cajun1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC

Remove L/R wheel, remove wheel well liner, examine/check clamps on both ends of filler neck hose leading to driver's side tank. Also examine the tank vent line nearby.
Having the fuel filter replaced this week so will also have those other things checked. I personally believe that the one fill that caused the problem continues to have the lesser smell effect because something got saturated and it's still drying out. Also good idea from Lonestar on the rounding to nearest $.05, good advice. I had my AMEX card compromised last month, only the 2nd time one of my cards has been compromised in 50 years. If I find anything definitive on the subject problem I'll post this website. Thanks much for all the advice.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC

Good advice, when I took off my inner liner I found a lot of dirt and sand in the rocker panel and it reeked of gas !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Cajun1
5th Gear

Default Update after replacing fuel filter.

Having the fuel filter replaced this week so will also have those other things checked. I personally believe that the one fill that caused the problem continues to have the lesser smell effect because something got saturated and it's still drying out. Also good idea from Lonestar on the rounding to nearest $.05, good advice. I had my AMEX card compromised last month, only the 2nd time one of my cards has been compromised in 50 years. If I find anything definitive on the subject problem I'll post this website. Thanks much for all the advice.
Update: Had fuel filter replaced with WIX. Noticed on old filter that there has been seepage at the output, evidenced by damp crud buildup. After making a few runs and then parking, noticed that gas smell has almost completely disappeared. Replaced the gas cap because the old one had very little resistance feel when tightening. Have not noticed gas smell since. Will report back if gas smell returns. If it does I will pull wheel well liners and check all visible connections.

Quick Reply: Gas smell after I fill up the tank