Received 2,671 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Z06 Front Screens Functionality?

I've been reading the various threads about Z06 owners who want to add fog lights and that brings up a design question...

Do the OEM Z06 screens perform a special function for that model and why did GM decide not to originally include Fog Lights for the Z06?

I know the C5 is a bottom breather and I know that the aftermarket Vararam CAI design takes advantage of the OEM fog light housings to route air up and through the intake. Do the Z06 screens provide similar air flow or is the Z06 a pure bottom breather as well?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

From what I remember the main reason the Z06 did not have the fog lights was for weight savings and the screens are open to allow air flow.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:29 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Zo6 screens are functional. Since the opening lets air go to the filter area, the screens keep out large debris.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
Zo6 screens are functional. Since the opening lets air go to the filter area, the screens keep out large debris.
Can all C5s benefit from this extra airflow if the OEM plastic fog light shrouds are removed? How does the additional air route up into the filter area? By looking underneath where the air flows up through the lower radiator shroud, how does the air coming in from the fog light area, through the Z06 screens route into the intake?

As mentioned, I understand the engineering of the Vararam unit, however the OEM Z06 air intake is similar to the stock air intake correct?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

The screens themselves don't provide any enhancement, especially with the foglight shrouds in place - in fact, I once calculated the percent of area lost to the blockage created by the screen itself and it was significant. In other words, if you had a piece of sheet metal the equivalent surface area of all the wire the screen contains and placed it in front of the opening, it would block a measurable amount of air flow. So, you could argue the screens cause a reduction in air flow.

I have a Vararam setup on one of my C5's and I left the screens in place to guard against larger debris getting sucked into the ram tunnels and up to the MAF. They have worked perfectly in that regard as the filter in front of the MAF is still free of significant debris so the tradeoff is worth it.

On the other hand, removing the screens and the shrouds behind them could have a positive effect on underhood temps. I have logged MAF temps with the screens and foglight shrouds in place and a Blackwing intake installed and then with the Varamam in place on the same car and temps were up to 30 deg. F lower on the Vararam setup, depending on the ambient temp. The biggest temp delta between ambient and MAF was on hot summer days.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Can all C5s benefit from this extra airflow if the OEM plastic fog light shrouds are removed? How does the additional air route up into the filter area? By looking underneath where the air flows up through the lower radiator shroud, how does the air coming in from the fog light area, through the Z06 screens route into the intake?

As mentioned, I understand the engineering of the Vararam unit, however the OEM Z06 air intake is similar to the stock air intake correct?
Take the fog light shrouds off and you have an open path to where the air intake sits. Therefore in addition to scooping up air from under the car, there would be air coming in from the front of the fascia too. This of course would also allow extra dust and water to enter into that area. But not sure that any water coming in from there would be detrimental or not - just not sure how much would actually come in contact with the air intake. And with the exception of not having the fog light shrouds in place and having a larger opening on the air intake for the air to enter, yes, the OEM Z06 air intake is similar to the coupe/vert air intake.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 04-22-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Patches
The screens themselves don't provide any enhancement, especially with the foglight shrouds in place - in fact, I once calculated the percent of area lost to the blockage created by the screen itself and it was significant. In other words, if you had a piece of sheet metal the equivalent surface area of all the wire the screen contains and placed it in front of the opening, it would block a measurable amount of air flow. So, you could argue the screens cause a reduction in air flow.

I have a Vararam setup on one of my C5's and I left the screens in place to guard against larger debris getting sucked into the ram tunnels and up to the MAF. They have worked perfectly in that regard as the filter in front of the MAF is still free of significant debris so the tradeoff is worth it.

On the other hand, removing the screens and the shrouds behind them could have a positive effect on underhood temps. I have logged MAF temps with the screens and foglight shrouds in place and a Blackwing intake installed and then with the Varamam in place on the same car and temps were up to 30 deg. F lower on the Vararam setup, depending on the ambient temp. The biggest temp delta between ambient and MAF was on hot summer days.
Thanks. So basically all C5s would benefit from extra airflow if both the fog lights shrouds and screens were removed. The question then is the practicality of removing the protection the shrouds and screens provide.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Take the fog light shrouds off and you have an open path to where the air intake sits. Therefore in addition to scooping up air from under the car, there would be air coming in from the front of the fascia too. This of course would also allow extra dust and water to enter into that area. But not sure that any water coming in from there would be detrimental or not - just not sure how much would actually come in contact with the air intake. And with the exception of not having the fog light shrouds in place and having a larger opening on the air intake for the air to enter, yes, the OEM Z06 air intake is similar to the coupe/vert air intake.
Thanks. I wasn't sure whether or not the air coming in through the opened fog light shrouds had the same or different path into the air intake than the air that comes up through the bottom.

I'm planning on adding a Callaway Honker CAI and I have a set of unused, never installed open fog light shrouds (picture below) given to me by a friend who taded into a C6 and I'm considering installing them when I install the Honker.

Last edited by MSG C5; 04-22-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Those are nice - I would definitely install those as a way to allow air in and keep larger debris like plastic bags out.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 AM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
Those are nice - I would definitely install those as a way to allow air in and keep larger debris like plastic bags out.
What is the impact to a c5 coupe if you have non functional screens?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

This is great information that helps me understand the real purpose of the screens because otherwise, as a "styling" mod, I think they detract aesthetically from the overall design of the front fascia.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun
This is great information that helps me understand the real purpose of the screens because otherwise, as a "styling" mod, I think they detract aesthetically from the overall design of the front fascia.

Thanks
THanks
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I removed the plastic shrouds around the fog lights and did the front plate mod. I removed the front air dam and I get plenty of fresh air into the motor and intercooler. Car has never seen temps higher than 210 degrees on the hottest summer days.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is my setup. Obviuously its not a VR,but a Blackwing. I opened up the radiator shroud to let fresh air in and to get the most out of the Blackwing. Lower engine temps and cooler intake air means better running engine and more power.(These are early pictures. i have a mesh screen that I attached to the shroud opening.)The air temps rarely rise over the 200 degree mark. Its all good.

Last edited by DARRYLZO6; 05-10-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are nice shrouds... Even though they have 9 holes in them, I used a 1" drill bit and drilled 6 holes in each of my fog light shrouds a couple of years back. I believe that, along with the license plate intake mod, helps air flow to your filter/intake.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM
meine96ws6
Pro

I have a z06 with the screens over the fog lights, i recently purchased another front plate cover to modify and left my stock one normal.

I have significant more airflow into the engine bay, my temps are really low. Since i did the plate mod and thermostat.

The dust IS NOT A BIG DEAL, i blow out the entire engine compartment with a compressor and hose.

No water enters anywhere near theSLP filter
Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether or not the air coming in through the opened fog light shrouds had the same or different path into the air intake than the air that comes up through the bottom.

I'm planning on adding a Callaway Honker CAI and I have a set of unused, never installed open fog light shrouds (picture below) given to me by a friend who taded into a C6 and I'm considering installing them when I install the Honker.

I have a Honker on my car and those cut out foglight shrouds would be of no benefit to a Honker. It takes all its air in from underneath only.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I cut out a large 1 inch by 5 inch area into each plastic shroud and installed Z06 screens. The underhood and intake air temperature have dropped significantly. So yes, it is worth doing this mod to all C5's even if you have a stock intake. Dust and water is really not an issue. I haven't noticed any increase in dust under the hood and the water will not make it up to the filter.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Front Screens Functionality?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 Front Screens Functionality?