Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] one of my valves broke @ 82,000

Old 10-11-2012, 02:49 PM
bignasty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one of my valves broke @ 82,000

The engine is sleeved correct? so i can get a new piston and sleeve and get it honed? just wanted to make sure before i start taking the engine apart. Has anyone else had this happen? Hopefully the head is salvagable. We shall see.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

This is a perfect time for an upgrade. Is the piston actually damaged?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Did the valve break and the spring is fine or did the spring break causing the valve to drop and break?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
Did the valve break and the spring is fine or did the spring break causing the valve to drop and break?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Who can say what damage would happen @ 82,000 RPMs!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM
zo659
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

My guess is the spring let go, causing the valve to get crunched. The LS7s have had issues with the hollow exhaust valves snapping the heads off, but I've never heard of that problem with the LS6.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 PM
bignasty
Intermediate

the engine is getting taken out net week and going to the machine shop, ill know a lot more from there. Im hoping i can just get a new piston and sleeve as far as the bottom end is concerned, we shall see. i'll let ya'll know if it was the spring or the actual valve that broke. I just got the car 3 months ago and was planning on getting new springs and a port job on my heads, but i guess i was a week too late with those plans.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM
bignasty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeevette
Who can say what damage would happen @ 82,000 RPMs!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 PM
bignasty
Intermediate

i was actually going 60 in 5th gear when it decided to go. any recommendations for heads if they need to be replaced?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by bignasty
the engine is getting taken out net week and going to the machine shop, ill know a lot more from there. Im hoping i can just get a new piston and sleeve as far as the bottom end is concerned, we shall see. i'll let ya'll know if it was the spring or the actual valve that broke. I just got the car 3 months ago and was planning on getting new springs and a port job on my heads, but i guess i was a week too late with those plans.
More than likely the spring broke then the valve dropped and broke after contacting the piston. I've not heard of many people having one cylinder resleeved after this happening, most seem to end up with a new block. I assume the machining cost is pretty high. Also as far as I know you can't just replace one piston. Your going to need to tear down the motor and go with all new bearings have rods resized etc...as far as $$$ your probably better off trying to find a low mile motor in good shape. Depends what you want to do with the car though. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by MY03C5Z; 10-13-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:52 PM
bignasty
Intermediate

More than likely the spring broke then the valve dropped and broke after contacting the piston. I've not heard of many people having one cylinder resleeved after this happening, most seem to end up with a new block. I assume the machining cost is pretty high. Also as far as I know you can't just replace one piston. Your going to need to tear down the motor and go with all new bearings have rods resized etc...as far as $$$ your probably better off trying to find a low mile motor in good shape. Depends what you want to do with the car though. Let us know how it works out.
My friend works for Tim Wilkersons Funny car team said it was possible to do it, i called the local machine shop and they said it could be done, im getting ready to get married so im trying to make this as cost effective as possible, we'll see what happens.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Let us know how it turns out for you, not the best news to get before the wedding, good luck.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Edited due to common sense. In it for the sleeve question.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:36 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bignasty
The engine is sleeved correct? so i can get a new piston and sleeve and get it honed? just wanted to make sure before i start taking the engine apart. Has anyone else had this happen? Hopefully the head is salvagable. We shall see.
Sorry for the issues.

Seen many broken valves in LS6's (generally spring breaks first) and the damage ends up being pretty costly.

Generally speaking, the ls6 blocks are not great candidates to be re-sleeved and in all likelihood the cylinder head is toast.

Sorry for the pessimistic outlook and hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 AM
bignasty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
Sorry for the issues.

Seen many broken valves in LS6's (generally spring breaks first) and the damage ends up being pretty costly.

Generally speaking, the ls6 blocks are not great candidates to be re-sleeved and in all likelihood the cylinder head is toast.

Sorry for the pessimistic outlook and hope I'm wrong.
i expect nothing less. i got the Z06 as a present for surviving one of the most dangerous parts of Afghanistan but its been more of a headache than a pleasure unfortunately.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 AM
bignasty
Intermediate

i never mess with the engines of my cars its always suspension and brakes and thats it.

Get notified of new replies

To one of my valves broke @ 82,000

Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Dude, dont take offense. maybe the guy was talking about himself and not having common sense? I dunno... just let it slide off your back either way.

Now... first, as a father of a US Marine, myself, my wife and my son thank you for your courage and service to our country.

Second... Unfortunately you were the victim of a common issue with the LS6. You just missed thwarting the issue. Vettes can be expensive to repair, its true... but dont get discouraged. For every problem story with an LS6 theres 500 stories that are great experiences. In general, the LS6 is a hearty engine that can take abuse. Look at this as a chance to upgrade your Z06 and take advantage of the opportunity to make it a beast. Ask some guys with modded Z06's what theyve done and find out what works best.

Lastly, dont give up and go back to imports... You can do all kinds of suspension upgrades if thats your thing.... but you will never have an import with the complete package that a Z06 offers.

Good luck and just ask anyone for help when you need it.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM
bignasty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 81c3
Dude, dont take offense. maybe the guy was talking about himself and not having common sense? I dunno... just let it slide off your back either way.

Now... first, as a father of a US Marine, myself, my wife and my son thank you for your courage and service to our country.

Second... Unfortunately you were the victim of a common issue with the LS6. You just missed thwarting the issue. Vettes can be expensive to repair, its true... but dont get discouraged. For every problem story with an LS6 theres 500 stories that are great experiences. In general, the LS6 is a hearty engine that can take abuse. Look at this as a chance to upgrade your Z06 and take advantage of the opportunity to make it a beast. Ask some guys with modded Z06's what theyve done and find out what works best.

Lastly, dont give up and go back to imports... You can do all kinds of suspension upgrades if thats your thing.... but you will never have an import with the complete package that a Z06 offers.

Good luck and just ask anyone for help when you need it.
Thanks, i appreciate it. Thats why i got a Z originally, theres no better bang for the buck as far as driving experience, Sorry for being a deuche in that last post, not really my style just frustrated. hopefully the engine will be out next week and i'll figure out what i need to do. I would love to make it a monster but i'll already be draining most of my savings account, head work will definitely be priority number one.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Any updates?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] one of my valves broke @ 82,000