Mouse Totals Porche......Really!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Default Mouse Totals Porche......Really!

My freind at work owns a 02 Porsche Boxter. She just informed me that her car was inspected by the insurance adjuster, and it's a total loss, estimated at over $25K to repair. Did she hit a wall, get rear ended? NO, Some mice got into her garage and, because she was busy working and not driving the Boxter (she has two cars), ate the wiring and some of the seat internals. The car still ran, but to correctly fix it, the entire interior would have to be removed and all new wiring installed. This happened over a relatively short period of time, less than three months, maybe only two months.
I mention this because from reading other posts, its that time when many members put their Vette's away for the winter. Don't forget to take measures to discourage those little fury things. Moth ***** in the engine compartment, if the Vette's in a garage with electricity, those high frequency plug-ins can work. Just don't under estimate what another species has in mind for your prize vehicle. They might want to call it home for the winter.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good reminder for those of us who store their cars in the winter. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Porches are cheap a** cars any way! lol. Seriously, Wow!, not convinced it was a mouse...probably a rat or squirrel, but a miesly mouse?! As far as prevention, mouse/rat poison and traps, mothballs are for moths. Also dont forget where you placed your traps or in the spring could be in for a surprise. Rob

Last edited by El original; 11-14-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mice hate dryer sheets
I put them in the engine bay interior, read about in the forum and haven't had a problem yet ( touch wood)
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Lol, when I was 19 I bought a 1981 Z28 Camaro, it was pretty beat up but I liked it, the engine lost oil pressure and I opened it up, the main bearings were toast, no $$$ to fix it so it set for 2 or so years.

Next thing you know there was a wasp or hornet, bee whatever nest just inside the door, had to get spray killer to kill them, then remove the nest.

Then I saw all this mushy stuff on the floor, it was foam and seat cover material shredded and made into nests, mice ate up the seats and carpet, more stuff to fix, need a rebuilt engine, paint and body, and now interior, so it sat more.

Then when I was 25 and got the C5 vert, I sold the Z28 to a salvage yard, as I knew I was never going to fix it up and it was too far gone.

The wires could have been eaten also, but since it did not run I did not notice.

So I went from a junky Camaro to like new Vette!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I hate mice!

My house is surrounded by a corn field and there are always mice. It is a constant battle. I have lots of traps, poison, sonic repellents, etc.

The best seemed to be when we had a stray cat hanging around, and we have had a hawk living in one of our trees. When we were seeing the cat and hawk a lot, we didn't get any in the traps.

I hate mice!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

In Florida, we attract "roof rats" who work their way into the house through the attic and piping.

Even though our winters don't get that cold, this is the time of the year rodents like to move inside. I'm currently fighting some type of pest that has worked it's way in through the AC pipes. I found it building a seed/twig nest in the garage where the AC pipes run and now I've set traps. Who knows, it could be a squirrel.

Another reason why I keep my vert top up when the car is parked in the garage. When I lived in Chicago and put the car away for the winter, I placed the dryer fabric sheets in the interior and engine bay and then stuck some rolled up MF towels into the exhaust pipes. To be safe, I taped my list of winter storage/protection actions to my steering wheel to make sure I didn't forget to undo anything come spring time.

Do those sonic devices actually work? I've read articles that claim they don't really do anything.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by MSG C5
In Florida, we attract "roof rats" who work their way into the house through the attic and piping...........
Tree rats, known to some people as "squirrels". Not sure about sonic repellers, but rat traps loaded with peanut butter nails 'em.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I had a customer call and rip me a new one for his rear camera not working. It was a 350.00 KEnwood CMOS310. We said no problem it was under warranty to remove and send it to us for replacement.
Next day I get a phone call from him with his credit card number to buy another camera as he said the wiring was all chewed up by a mouse or something.
Oh and an embarrassing apology too
FYI
It was a Viper owner.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Tree rats, known to some people as "squirrels". Not sure about sonic repellers, but rat traps loaded with peanut butter nails 'em.
It might be a squirrel as I did exactly as you mentioned. I loaded up one of those "Tom Cat" rat traps with peanut butter in the attic. When I checked it had been tripped but no catch. I might need to get a cage trap if it is indeed a squirrel.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a problem with squirrels in the attic a while back. Problem is that once they settle in, they consider that home and the grown babies will come back and use the house like a condo. They used to run across the power line, jump to where the air conditioning freon pipes entered the second floor of the house (they had chewed through the insulation), and would get into the attic. Solution was a lawn chair, couple of beers, and a Benjamin .22 pump pellet rifle. Took a couple of days but that solved the problem. Some people say they make good eating!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
Had a problem with squirrels in the attic a while back. Problem is that once they settle in, they consider that home and the grown babies will come back and use the house like a condo. They used to run across the power line, jump to where the air conditioning freon pipes entered the second floor of the house (they had chewed through the insulation), and would get into the attic. Solution was a lawn chair, couple of beers, and a Benjamin .22 pump pellet rifle. Took a couple of days but that solved the problem. Some people say they make good eating!
I like the pellet gun idea however I have to make sure the HOA ***** don't see me. I see 2-3 squirrels hanging around the house lately, so that might be my next course of action. I still need to figure out how they are getting in as I climbed up on the roof and don't see any holes.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Friggin' mice ate the wiring on my Laverda.

Damn. I loved that bike.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by olbear1962
Mice hate dryer sheets
I put them in the engine bay interior, read about in the forum and haven't had a problem yet ( touch wood)
That's what I've heard. The last two years I've put sheets in the engine compartment and around all four tires.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM
andy46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A constant battle with mice and rats on the farm and I've learned a lot about them in the mean time!
The dryer sheets, only work for a very short time, change them often, and once they get used to them, they won't be bothered by them anymore, they adapt to any changes over time very quickly, especially rats.
The electronic noise things are same story, they work for a limited time until the varmint gets used to it.
Bars of smelly soap do not work, irish spring does not work!
Do not use poison, they get sick and crawl in where you'll never find them and die, leaving an absolutely horrible stench for months (My GMC truck had this issue over a year ago, and even though I cleaned it out, and found the bastard, I still swear I can smell it in there!)
If you have mice, use a mouse trap, use a rat trap for rats, mice will trip a rat trap but not get caught in it, its too big, and a rat will walk off with only a mouse trap there.
A squirrel will laugh at a rat trap.
Peanut butter is king!
Do not set your traps around or inside your car, they will get in because of the peanut butter smell, you don't want to attract them to your car!
Set them around the inside perimeter of the building along the walls, you will figure out which traps go off most often, and you will know which way they're getting in eventually by moving the traps around.
If you have a big problem, a bucket with six inches of water in it, and a tin can coated with peanut butter, and drilled on both ends, with a wire through it across the top of the bucket works great, they jump for the can, and it rolls and into the water they go, they can't jump out of the water, and they drown.
Just make sure theres stuff around it so they find their way up to the top of the bucket.
Every little crack or seam in your garage, seal it shut, this is the only way to keep them out period. If you can get a pencil tip in a crack, they can get in!
I have a 35 X 55 shop and used 48 tubes of caulking and an entire weekend finding and sealing up gaps, and have not had a single mouse since, and this was in a pole barn that had twenty traps set in it, and killed at least three every week.
You have to be persistant, because once they set up shop, its a chore to get rid of them!
Sorry for the long ramble, but please don't let this happen to your prize possesion
Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM
TNX ZORA
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up - thanks!

Originally Posted by andy46
a constant battle with mice and rats on the farm and i've learned a lot about them in the mean time!
The dryer sheets, only work for a very short time, change them often, and once they get used to them, they won't be bothered by them anymore, they adapt to any changes over time very quickly, especially rats.
The electronic noise things are same story, they work for a limited time until the varmint gets used to it.
Bars of smelly soap do not work, irish spring does not work!
Do not use poison, they get sick and crawl in where you'll never find them and die, leaving an absolutely horrible stench for months (my gmc truck had this issue over a year ago, and even though i cleaned it out, and found the bastard, i still swear i can smell it in there!)
if you have mice, use a mouse trap, use a rat trap for rats, mice will trip a rat trap but not get caught in it, its too big, and a rat will walk off with only a mouse trap there.
A squirrel will laugh at a rat trap.
Peanut butter is king!
Do not set your traps around or inside your car, they will get in because of the peanut butter smell, you don't want to attract them to your car!
Set them around the inside perimeter of the building along the walls, you will figure out which traps go off most often, and you will know which way they're getting in eventually by moving the traps around.
If you have a big problem, a bucket with six inches of water in it, and a tin can coated with peanut butter, and drilled on both ends, with a wire through it across the top of the bucket works great, they jump for the can, and it rolls and into the water they go, they can't jump out of the water, and they drown.
Just make sure theres stuff around it so they find their way up to the top of the bucket.
Every little crack or seam in your garage, seal it shut, this is the only way to keep them out period. If you can get a pencil tip in a crack, they can get in!
I have a 35 x 55 shop and used 48 tubes of caulking and an entire weekend finding and sealing up gaps, and have not had a single mouse since, and this was in a pole barn that had twenty traps set in it, and killed at least three every week.
You have to be persistant, because once they set up shop, its a chore to get rid of them!
Sorry for the long ramble, but please don't let this happen to your prize possesion
good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Mouse Totals Porche......Really!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I hate mice and rats!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Rickster6744
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem with mice when I lived on acreage. Dryer sheets work!!!!! But only the scented ones. Unscented didn't seem to have any effect. Thank god it was a honda and not a vette. Put them under the hood and along the floor of the car and the trunk. Wasn't taking any chances. Also changed them once every two weeks to be on the safe side.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Forget the dryer sheets and peanut butter... give them what they want... surround the car with wire harnesses!

Quick Reply: Mouse Totals Porche......Really!