Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks normal to me
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Amixamse
Lose 10 lbs tq with free flowing exhaust? Omfg I'm done posting in here. That's why dragsters run open headers and that's why people with single digit times have cutouts after headers right?
Sometimes ppl post without knowing. I ditched the muffler behind the rear facia design and went with two bullet mufflers dumping out under the car. Not only did I save a bunch of weight but I gained over 2/10th of a second at the track and went 3mph faster with the times slips to prove it. Loss of tq? I think quite the opposite.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Why have it coming out the back when you can have this ! ! !

Funny post guys. I enjoyed reading it. It made me smile...

Toque
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Sometimes ppl post without knowing. I ditched the muffler behind the rear facia design and went with two bullet mufflers dumping out under the car. Not only did I save a bunch of weight but I gained over 2/10th of a second at the track and went 3mph faster with the times slips to prove it. Loss of tq? I think quite the opposite.
Agreed. Straight pipes have not given me any less on the dyno and I have only improved my ET and MPH at the track.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
I think its more of a shift in power higher in the rpm range which would help out at the strip, I know I couldnt use 6th below 58 when I had long tubes with a catless x pipe and loudmouths. When I switched to ZO6 Ti's I was able to use 6th at 45 without it bogging down. Now it wasnt tuned with either setup nor do I have dyno numbers but there was a difference.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
Let me guess. The folks that are complaining about loud corvettes are those who drive bone stock corvettes and go 60 mph on the freeway and think they are superior than those who choose to mod their cars? News flash. A corvette is a sports car.. not a Prius!
Well I guess I've been busted now. Yes my car is bone stock. Yes I have gone 60 on the freeway. I don't know why some people here don't realize that a stock vette is much more power than any right minded person could ever use. I can't believe that some people here have actually taken their car over 100MPH. That's just a scary thought.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM
JaxC5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave concrete

Looks normal to me
Should be the end of the thread.....if it's about the way the exhaust looks you are doing something wrong.....
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 PM
About2Bite
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've received far more compliments on my slp loudmouth than i ever have my corsa.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default I get crap too....

Originally Posted by James2002z06
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's summed up now , hell I can't catch a break for having a bra and a windshield logo " it's my car get over it "
OMG To some I have "ruined" my car by putting a TS bumper on it! At least you can remove the windshield logo and take your ..um ...bra off. I am all exposed with no bra and everyone can see my "augmentation"
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by m6 c5
I think its more of a shift in power higher in the rpm range which would help out at the strip, I know I couldnt use 6th below 58 when I had long tubes with a catless x pipe and loudmouths. When I switched to ZO6 Ti's I was able to use 6th at 45 without it bogging down. Now it wasnt tuned with either setup nor do I have dyno numbers but there was a difference.
No, its more of a power increase. Or free horsepower thats been freed up. When you see the et's drop at all the distances on the time slip then you know you picked up power across the rpm range. Of course, a freer breathing engine reaps the most benefit at higher rpms.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My,,how we digress! This thread went from a request for opinions on how straight pipes LOOK,,, to how they sound,perform,,and a young vs old war!!
I don't think you can pigeon hole folks by age. I've run into young kids that make some old guys look like wild rebels and vice versa!! I've been on Social Security & Medicare for a year now,,but have ripped off a 13.08/110.24 with a .012 reaction time,,and just finished a 3200 mile round trip from St.Louis to Vegas. Did the trip out in 27 hours driving myself,,and return trip(after picking up my youngest son) in 25 hours trading off driving with him. Not exactly do'n 60 on the interstate!!
Ran around with straight pipes for a while in between trips to the strip,,wasn't wild about the sound,,IMO my Corsas sounded better,,and my E.T.'s were better WITH the mufflers.
Been here on the forum for quite a few years now,,and I must admit to a bias for Bill's(Evil Twin) opinion/knowledge/experience vs. a lot of opinions expressed here!

Last edited by itzza427; 12-04-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

I tell guys to do what you like if youre spending your own money even if its not popular with the majority. I dont care about anyones opinion even if theyre a 100yr member, which can mean nothing. Its all about the total package. In my case its not exactly a straight pipe system, its long tubes to an xpipe and bullet mufflers. So I get good scavenging with almost no backpressure. Time slip says it all, no opinions there, you run what you run.

I must add, when I first did the exhaust it changed a few things in the tune and my tuner had to tweak it. That may be why some see a loss if the car is not tuned right or the "package" is off.

Last edited by C5Natie; 12-04-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Do straight pipes look weird to you?