Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a broken EBCM make a car fail the Safetty Inspection ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Will a broken EBCM make a car fail the Safetty Inspection ?

Will a broken EBCM make a car fail the Safety Inspection ?

In Mass a Check Engine Light "ON" will fail a car's Safety Inspection ... Does this apply ?

Any One

Does it vary state to state ?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm no expert but from what I've read if the check engine light is on, then many states will not pass the the inspection. Therefor if the BCM is causing the check engine light I would think that could cause an inspector to reject it. Check out the March 2013 of Corvette Magazine which goes into a little more detail. As I said though, I've had no first hand knowledge and so only offering a guess. You could also call a dealer who does inspections and they could give you the answer.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good advice to just call a dealer or an inspection station and see what they say.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 48 Posts

What are your codes? The EBCM should not fail your Vettes inspection. Typically, all the inspector does, with respect to brakes, is enusre the parking brake will hold the car stationary. The MIL (Check Engine) light will announce many issues. I recently had my dashboard light up w/ every "check this, check-that....." Found my neg battery terminal bolt (side-post) was stripped and would not keep the correct torque/tightness. $1.50 later, no problems.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

The EBCM is responsible for traction control/abs/stability control, do a quick search for EBCM, you'll need some quality/reading-time.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-issue-15.html Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

If you know a good dealer/tuner shop I believe you could have that programmed out so it doesn't trigger the dash light....otherwise the inspectors will see it as a red flag, and who knows what will happen next. If you tell him there is no part available to fix it he won't believe you, then you are up chits creek for sure.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
If you know a good dealer/tuner shop I believe you could have that programmed out so it doesn't trigger the dash light....otherwise the inspectors will see it as a red flag, and who knows what will happen next. If you tell him there is no part available to fix it he won't believe you, then you are up chits creek for sure.
The law varies from state to state. In Vermont that will fail your car for sure. A tire pressure alarm can fail you car even if you can verify proper pressure with a manual gauge. As stated above some dealers / turners have the technology to turn off TPM and other stuff to make the light go off.
In Florida there is no state safety inspection (yet)
Old 01-06-2013, 05:28 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
Will a broken EBCM make a car fail the Safety Inspection ?

In Mass a Check Engine Light "ON" will fail a car's Safety Inspection ... Does this apply ?

Any One

Does it vary state to state ?
Your ebcm will not cause the check engine light to come on, only the service light will be on which will not fail an inspection. If the check engine light is on you have other problems. Pull the codes using the dic and post what you get.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Pro

Originally Posted by BigGun
Your ebcm will not cause the check engine light to come on, only the service light will be on which will not fail an inspection. If the check engine light is on you have other problems. Pull the codes using the dic and post what you get.
Thank you - I now understand the difference between the CEL and the Service Light

I already sent my EBCM to ABS Fixer and all good - just wondering for a friend who is considering a 2001 purchase
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
Thank you - I now understand the difference between the CEL and the Service Light

I already sent my EBCM to ABS Fixer and all good - just wondering for a friend who is considering a 2001 purchase
CORVETTE magazine (pg-58 OCT issue) indictates C5 prices are on the rebound. I told a friend of mine to BUY! With this resource (CF), all you need to do is ask/search, and what ever ails you & your Vette is right here, in terms of solutions (most of which cost you nothing other than research and go check...). Priceless.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

If it's an intermittent problem, learn to clear the code, it's pretty simple. Then clear the codes 1/2 block away from inspection station and hope for the best...
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phanni
If it's an intermittent problem, learn to clear the code, it's pretty simple. Then clear the codes 1/2 block away from inspection station and hope for the best...
Hi Uncle Sam, can you help? Seems there's a problem that needs erased. Certainly you jest. Except for the plugs, unplug everything else... STICKA! Done. There is a thread wherein a supporter did provide a mention of "Corvette Friendly" inspection stations. It's true. They were just happy to witness another, and in so doing were cordial and "matter-of-factly" business as usual. Upon arrival, the question was, "I understand you guys are Vette friendly???..." In and out after a brief waiting (witness) period. Lowered, SC, they did it in fine fashion. (Heck, I think they just wanted to sit behind the wheel, to be honest)... No "test-drive" B.S., or anything else. Honked the horn, checked the lights, checked the p-brake, wipers, ashtray, tire pressure, valvestem caps, GAS cap, and that was enough. I told them, if their machine erases my tune, they'd get to pay for towing, damages, and a re-dyno. They are indeed friendly to Vetters.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Just had my 12th Annual Inspection on my C5 in Texas - they have never checked ANYTHING on my car or done a test drive. They even let me remove the old stickers and put on the new ones. I think they know by looking at me and my car that I would never tolerate anything being out of spec.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The OP asked about the EBCM.

(no idea how we got on TPM )

EBCM failure will also take out your ABS, and that in NY anyway will be a fail.

And just for information on a few notes above:

As far as I know, you cant "tune it out"

EBCM does not casue Check Engine Light.

Cheers
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
In Illinois,they only look for codes that deal with emissions,,my EBCM has been out for a while. However, clearing the codes WILL bring you back for a retest,as clearing any codes wipes them out,so you have to drive long enough to resets codes do they can check what's there
This happened to me as I used to clear the codes on a regular basis. I no longer do that and make it through with no problems.
I'm thinking that it will vary from state to state!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by itzza427
In Illinois,they only look for codes that deal with emissions,,my EBCM has been out for a while. However, clearing the codes WILL bring you back for a retest,as clearing any codes wipes them out,so you have to drive long enough to resets codes do they can check what's there
That's emmissions. And clearing PCM/emmissions codes will reset the emmissions self-test indicators which require a drive cycle to be performed to allow the tests to complete again.

What's checked varies by state. The OP needs to check for the state he is in.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 AM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
That's emmissions. And clearing PCM/emmissions codes will reset the emmissions self-test indicators which require a drive cycle to be performed to allow the tests to complete again.

What's checked varies by state. The OP needs to check for the state he is in.
Well, some know better than others. The EBCM (in Texas) is the equivalent of option. W/o an EBCM your "SERVICE" everything will illuminate.

You can diffuse (relay) it... Know you will have no handling designed into the car.
If/when you do so, remember it's as if you just turned all safety off, in terms of rescuing yourself from a bad manuever. As if to say, "press&hold" for "COMPETETIVE DRIVING MODE". The EBCM is nothing more than a factor in design to keep the fiberglass off the walls. Once you enter CDM, you have basically eliminated the effects of the circuitry within the EBCM. Once you've done that, you better be a driver, well trained in one of these, or else...

Get notified of new replies

To Will a broken EBCM make a car fail the Safetty Inspection ?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUICIDE
Well, some know better than others. The EBCM (in Texas) is the equivalent of option. W/o an EBCM your "SERVICE" everything will illuminate.

You can diffuse (relay) it... Know you will have no handling designed into the car.
If/when you do so, remember it's as if you just turned all safety off, in terms of rescuing yourself from a bad manuever. As if to say, "press&hold" for "COMPETETIVE DRIVING MODE". The EBCM is nothing more than a factor in design to keep the fiberglass off the walls. Once you enter CDM, you have basically eliminated the effects of the circuitry within the EBCM. Once you've done that, you better be a driver, well trained in one of these, or else...
HUH? WTF does "diffuse (relay) it" mean?

CDM turns the TC off but leaves the AH on. How exactly is that the same as eliminating the EBCM?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

EBCM doesn't fail you in Missouri. If the red brake light is on it will. They are two different issues entirely.

INTERIOR OF VEHICLE
Steering Wheel Bind and Play
Brake Pedal Power-Brake
Reserve
Brake Warning Light
Windshield Wiper Operation
Mirrors
Seat Belts - 1965 & Later
(Passenger Vehicles)
Seat Belts - 1971 & Later
(Pickup Trucks)
Horn
High Beam Indicator
Glazing (Glass)

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 01-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Pro

FYI

I just visited a Mass Safety Inspection Station and the State of Mass does NOT include ABS & Traction Control & Active Handling as part of their annual safety check ... as of 2013 so far.

My car does not have an issue with the EBCM, but I was just curious for others down the line.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Will a broken EBCM make a car fail the Safetty Inspection ?