Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Lip Splitter

Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lip Splitter

Anyone have experience installing one of these carbon fiber splitters from RPI Designs? It's light weight, came with no installation instructions with 1 inch self taping screws. Holes are pre-drilled but it looks like they may be hard to get at once the splitter is aligned and taped to the car.

I/ll be putting the car up on a lift so that's no problem and expect to have another hand. Was going to attach some good double sided 3M tape to a few areas and pull off once it's lined up.

Do I leave the stock rubber 3-piece air dam attached? I suppose it won't be in the way. Install probably isn't all that bad but thought I'd reach out to the forum world for any other suggestions. Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
DEnglish29
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chipscvettec5
Anyone have experience installing one of these carbon fiber splitters from RPI Designs? It's light weight, came with no installation instructions with 1 inch self taping screws. Holes are pre-drilled but it looks like they may be hard to get at once the splitter is aligned and taped to the car.

I/ll be putting the car up on a lift so that's no problem and expect to have another hand. Was going to attach some good double sided 3M tape to a few areas and pull off once it's lined up.

Do I leave the stock rubber 3-piece air dam attached? I suppose it won't be in the way. Install probably isn't all that bad but thought I'd reach out to the forum world for any other suggestions. Thanks
I've never installed one, however the factory air dam funnels air to your radiator for cooling. I've heard of members having cooling issues after tearing theirs off, so I would leave it on if possible.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chipscvettec5

Hey man I have installed theirs but I did I stall mine from carbon creations
This is what I done ;
Mine came with double sided tape which I know over time would not keep it installed ...I jacked up the car (front) and put jack stands under and moved the jack ...
I got my tape measure and while holding the splitter and cut myself some blocks mine were 10 inch in length anyway I prop it up with the wood blocks and centered it up
Mine came with (6) 1" inch self tapping screws , the upper portion of mine was deeper than the bottom lip
I then pre drilled 8 -1/8 pilot holes through it and into the bottom of my bumper then peeled off the one side of the tape stuck it and inserted the self tapping screws
Info --- make sure with the self tapping screw that you use that your drill bit is just a little smaller .. I also used a good screw driver to tighten the screws you don't want to strip them .... It took me almost all day but in the end it looks great
Note:
It is critical that you re install all three pcs behind it otherwise your car will run hot !!!!!!! I never removed the middle only the two on each side you will need to pre drill another spot closet to the wheel
Ill post a few pics
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Default Install ....

[IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/James2002z06/d417f45[IMG]

[/IMG]128be8d25eb7993164e8ffe19_zps79bb7c1b.jp g[/IMG]

Originally Posted by James2002z06
Hey man I have installed theirs but I did I stall mine from carbon creations
This is what I done ;
Mine came with double sided tape which I know over time would not keep it installed ...I jacked up the car (front) and put jack stands under and moved the jack ...
I got my tape measure and while holding the splitter and cut myself some blocks mine were 10 inch in length anyway I prop it up with the wood blocks and centered it up
Mine came with (6) 1" inch self tapping screws , the upper portion of mine was deeper than the bottom lip
I then pre drilled 8 -1/8 pilot holes through it and into the bottom of my bumper then peeled off the one side of the tape stuck it and inserted the self tapping screws
Info --- make sure with the self tapping screw that you use that your drill bit is just a little smaller .. I also used a good screw driver to tighten the screws you don't want to strip them .... It took me almost all day but in the end it looks great
Note:
It is critical that you re install all three pcs behind it otherwise your car will run hot !!!!!!! I never removed the middle only the two on each side you will need to pre drill another spot closet to the wheel
Ill post a few pics
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

[IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/James2002z06/d417f45[IMG]

[/IMG]128be8d25eb7993164e8ffe19_zps79bb7c1b.jp g[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
DEnglish29
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

James your looks really good, I saw pics of it on another post, hope to do mine soon, where did u purchase your body kit?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DEnglish29
James your looks really good, I saw pics of it on another post, hope to do mine soon, where did u purchase your body kit?
Pete at Carbon Creations , my wife called earlier to let me know that my
CF rear spoiler came in today
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you ever take your car to high speeds like 130+, i would recommend using several nuts/bolts with large washers on each side to hold it on. I used to have the c5r splitter from corvette creations on my car. It was held on with the supplied self tapping screws and 2 nuts/bolts with small washers. On a high speed run up to 160, the air pressure pushing down on the splitter pulled out several self tapping screws and both bolts ripped through the splitter and it hit the ground and broke into several pieces. My current splitter is from apsis and held on with 6 self tapping screws and 4 nuts/bolts with 1 inch washers on each side and i have not had that problem again.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 02z06dave
If you ever take your car to high speeds like 130+, i would recommend using several nuts/bolts with large washers on each side to hold it on. I used to have the c5r splitter from corvette creations on my car. It was held on with the supplied self tapping screws and 2 nuts/bolts with small washers. On a high speed run up to 160, the air pressure pushing down on the splitter pulled out several self tapping screws and both bolts ripped through the splitter and it hit the ground and broke into several pieces. My current splitter is from apsis and held on with 6 self tapping screws and 4 nuts/bolts with 1 inch washers on each side and i have not had that problem again.
Agreed , I forgot where the splitter stop near the wheel I put a nut and bolt on each side
Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Pete at Carbon Creations , my wife called earlier to let me know that my
you sure are spoiled I have to send my special new parts to my friends house so my wife doesnt spot them right away
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a C/F one from the vendor here, which is a knockoff of the ACI design. Called ACI, and bought one of their installing sets for like $60-70 IIRC. Two sets of stamped steel plates with nutserts that conform to the mating surface of the spoiler, so the attachment sandwiches the spoiler and urethane nose of the car between two bolted together steel plates. Figured that was a much better way of attaching it. May want to try that route. My $.02.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rbrumm
you sure are spoiled I have to send my special new parts to my friends house so my wife doesnt spot them right away
That was Classic... Good move though
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
vetfeva2
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

my wife called earlier to let me know that my
Ah, you gotta post pics up when you get it installed.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
I have a C/F one from the vendor here, which is a knockoff of the ACI design. Called ACI, and bought one of their installing sets for like $60-70 IIRC. Two sets of stamped steel plates with nutserts that conform to the mating surface of the spoiler, so the attachment sandwiches the spoiler and urethane nose of the car between two bolted together steel plates. Figured that was a much better way of attaching it. May want to try that route. My $.02.
any pictures of that?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vetfeva2
Ah, you gotta post pics up when you get it installed.
I hear yeah man , they will smash me once I do

Get notified of new replies

To Front Lip Splitter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Lip Splitter