Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 Valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 PM
66Nick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 Valve springs

So I've done my research and have learned that some of the C5 Z06 cars have valve spring issues, or potential valve spring issues. My recently acquired 2002 has about 80k on the clock and I'm planning to do this on the off chance it hasn't been done already.

I'm wondering if anyone has a complete parts list of everything needed (including maybe the tool) or if there's a vendor that sells a kit.

I'm Imagining I'll need:

Valve cover gaskets (x2)
Replacement valve springs (x16)
Valve seals (x16)
New keepers (x16)

I see a lot of people are replacing plugs and wires at the same time since you're removing them already. Makes sense to me. Any particular brand recommendations?

For background info the car is mostly stock (I believe) other than a Halltech Cold Air Intake and K&N air filter. Though the previous owner did have an aftermarket exhaust system which was replaced with stock components before I bought the car.

I plan on leaving the car mostly un-molested in regards to the engine.

Any help or links to threads which have all this info would be greatly appreciated.

If none exist then I'll ultimately compile a list and maybe even make an attempt at a How-To thread.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 PM
rxmatt
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a thread that I posted about a month ago on some similar questions:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ent-parts.html

Never hurts to have more answers on the topic!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Doubt you really need new keepers. Use the GM valve guide seals - they are 1-piece with a built in spring seat. There's a different part number for the intake and exhaust guide seals. I put PAC1518 springs in my '02 Zee. Lots of people go with the PAC brand. Get the valve cover seals and the grommets for the valve cover bolts from your local parts store (AutoZone has them) ... get the Fel-Pro brand. Half the cost of OEM. And yes, better do new spark plugs and wires while you're at it. You should take all the spark plugs out anyway so you can turn the engine over easily. You will most likely destroy at least half the plug wires trying to get them off.

SpeenInc.com (board vendor) has the springs and spring tool, and even the spark plugs and wires. Pretty good price and free shipping for orders over $100.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 02-02-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 AM
jmc12
Team Owner

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-failures.html
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

You dont need to waste money on new valve cover gaskets or the grommets for the bolts.... they can be reused. Youre simply wasting money. I had no trouble removing the spark plug boots either. The trick is usng the right tool for the job, which would be a spark plug boot removal tool ( go figure)... but if you have some milage on the engine, get the GMPP red wires. Buy a tube of dielectric grease for reassembly of the wires to the plugs as well as the ends that go to the coil side. The job is fairly easy and shoulnt take you more than a few hours at the most.
The following users liked this post:
Lee Stipe (04-08-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Valve springs

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Valve springs