Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What suspension for oem replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default What suspension for oem replacement ?

I am getting real tired of having my body beat to death from hitting potholes.So I am going to change out my OEM shocks with 47k on them.My question is,which should I replace them with when the only concern I have is for a nice velvet ride.Do I really need to change the torsion bars,should I go with the Z06 shocks,or maybe I would be better off with coil overs,I am not concerned about driving the twisties I just want a nice ride while I am cruising.Thanks for reading and I thank you for any ideas that you toss my way.
Fred
Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
regblkss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think the z06 shocks and sways are going to help that. Most likely make it worse for ride. Do you have the fe1 suspension?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Dinger
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Coilovers will be a rather harsh ride. My suggestion is to buy bilsein shocks to maintain the velvet smooth ride.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

This will do it for you, in one package

http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...ellstage1.html

Peace
Chip

Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

most forgiving and comfy shock that still has a very controlled feel is the koni fsd. the problem you're going to have is that most the suspension products made for the c5 are to stiffen it up and make it transition faster.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the response everyone.Well I knew that this is a sports car and by design it is supposed to be somewhat rigid,hell it's a race car.I am just looking for a softer ride.I have decided to go with the "Johnny O'Connell"Stage one shocks and sway bars from Chip at CCA when I get back from Arizona and spring training at the Cactus League season.
Fred
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
CCA Corvette Parts

Originally Posted by memmer
Thanks for the response everyone.Well I knew that this is a sports car and by design it is supposed to be somewhat rigid,hell it's a race car.I am just looking for a softer ride.I have decided to go with the "Johnny O'Connell"Stage one shocks and sway bars from Chip at CCA when I get back from Arizona and spring training at the Cactus League season.
Fred
Have fun Fred, best of luck

Peace
Chip
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by memmer
Fred
just curious but why would you buy a setup deigned to decrease body movement if you're going after a compliant ride?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Yeah no insult meant to Chip, but it seems like the Johnny O'Connell set is racer oriented, which doesn't seem to fit your goal of the most comfy ride. The dampers included in the Johnny O kit are no doubt higher quality, so probably have a better ride for performance than the stockers, especially if your stockers aren't working well anymore, but I would think a different shock not quite so race tuned would provide you with the comfier ride you're looking for. JMHO.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM
CCA Corvette Parts

Originally Posted by CPhelps
Yeah no insult meant to Chip, but it seems like the Johnny O'Connell set is racer oriented, which doesn't seem to fit your goal of the most comfy ride. The dampers included in the Johnny O kit are no doubt higher quality, so probably have a better ride for performance than the stockers, especially if your stockers aren't working well anymore, but I would think a different shock not quite so race tuned would provide you with the comfier ride you're looking for. JMHO.
Understand your point of view, but it was designed for the street, with a performance edge. Its ok for
the weekend warrior to take to the track, but it is defiantly
not a race set up, or anywhere near as harsh. I have it on my
wifes car...

Much much better ride than OEM, far better dampening and rebound,
much better turn in, and roll center...

Never heard anyone ever refer to it as harsh. Harsh is what you get will Bilsteins...lol

Peace
Chip

Last edited by CCA Corvette Parts; 02-10-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Thanks again
Fred
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

ill leave the sways alone personally. when I remove my sways for the strip, the front gets soft and sloppy. based on that theory, i dont see how getting better sway bars will help the goal

Get notified of new replies

To What suspension for oem replacement ?

Quick Reply: What suspension for oem replacement ?