Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a Freaking Dog Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM
la vett girl
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes dogs just get out. We had a lab and every time it rained he would escape. We think he climbed the 6 foot fence as there were no holes dug and gates were locked.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
mooney201
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I was sixteen, I was driving to school, and a boy ran across in front of my car, but far enough ahead, that I just needed to apply normal brake pressure to miss him. But shooting out behind him was his dog. I could not miss the dog. I was below the speed limit but could not stop in time. I jumped out and held the dog as he took his last breath. I was devastated. The boy and I both cried. I took the boy and his dog to his house, and told his mom I was extremely sorry. I went home because I did not feel like going to school. To this day, I did not know or look to see if the car had any damage.
Sure it was not my fault, but that fact did not make me feel any better.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrec10
How about the poor dog you insensitive ******! That was someone's dog! The GOD DAMN car can be fixed!
Good grief andrec10. The last thing I'm gonna do is swerve wildly to miss a dog and possibly hurt myself instead. My daughter would not want to have to replace her Dad for any animal. Animals are not humans.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Ashc2025
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OKZ06
If you hit a cat you would probably getting cheers around here.
This makes me wish there was a "like" button for posts, LOL
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Ashc2025
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooney201
When I was sixteen, I was driving to school, and a boy ran across in front of my car, but far enough ahead, that I just needed to apply normal brake pressure to miss him. But shooting out behind him was his dog. I could not miss the dog. I was below the speed limit but could not stop in time. I jumped out and held the dog as he took his last breath. I was devastated. The boy and I both cried. I took the boy and his dog to his house, and told his mom I was extremely sorry. I went home because I did not feel like going to school. To this day, I did not know or look to see if the car had any damage.
Sure it was not my fault, but that fact did not make me feel any better.
I have a similar situation, I hit a black lab at 1 in the morning, I still remember the whales from the dog but I don't remember what it did to the car. Luckily there were some good ol' boy by-standards that put the dog down and knew the owner. They said that the owner never took care of the dog, didn't make me feel any better though.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Insensitive...? WTF EVER!! The guy did not set out to kill the flipping DOG when he left his house that day... The DOG ran out in front of him... He didn't aim towards the DOG... It was an accident! Some of you jokers act as though the OP i some insensitive Dog killer! Quit your damn whining and judging the guy DOG GONE it!!
I too would be pissed if some stray dog ran out in front of my Vette or any of my cars causing damage! If the Dog were alive, i would attempt to render aid... If it were dead i would move it off of the road and drive on... Sorry to hear about your ride... Post some pics... Perhaps a little hair, flesh underneath should be the only real damage... Drive it up on ramps and spray it off... You should be good.
FLAME SUIT DAWNED......
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
lxconv331
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just a car people!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
mooney201
Pro

Here is a question:

You own a dog and also a 2012 ZR1 Corvette. They are both in your garage. The garage is on fire, and you can only save one. Which one do you save? Be honest.

Your answer will say a lot about your character, or lack of.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM
lxconv331
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mooney201
Here is a question:

You own a dog and also a 2012 ZR1 Corvette. They are both in your garage. The garage is on fire, and you can only save one. Which one do you save? Be honest.

Your answer will say a lot about your character, or lack of.
Really your gonna put that out there? Thats what insurance is for! Car's can be replaced or fixed humans and animals can't
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM
mooney201
Pro

Originally Posted by lxconv331
Really your gonna put that out there? Thats what insurance is for! Car's can be replaced or fixed humans and animals can't
I agree with your choice, some won't.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5FORFUN2
Find the dogs owner and have them pay!! They are the ones responsible for the dog and any damage caused from it being loose. Yes it could have been worse, someone could have swerved to miss the dog and caused a head on crash. Too many irresponsible pet owners.

Agreed, I'd also lay him out for contributing to his own dog's death.
There are no bad dog's, just bad owners.

A large pheasant flew across my path years ago when I was driving my Datsun 240Z. Wound up replacing driver's fender, hood and both headlamp buckets with fiberglass repros. That was a BIG bird.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM
physman
Instructor

Originally Posted by andrec10
How about the poor dog you insensitive ******! That was someone's dog! The GOD DAMN car can be fixed!
People,

Most of people posting are missing the point of this post. The point is not the dog. This is the corvette forum, it is all about finding information from other people how to take care of our cars, make them better, and how to fix them when something goes wrong. The guy was not being insensitive about killing a dog, that it is over and done with and can not be changed. What can be changed is what he asked for, what could be wrong with his car and what to check for. It is about his safety now and protecting his car.

No offense, because I am a cat owner and I would feel bad no matter what animal I hit, domestic or not. The point is we have to realize what forum we are on and focus on what the person posting is asking for and not get off on tangents that can not be changed.

Like they say, "If you can not say anything constructive, move to the next post."

I am done raving.

P.S. Sorry for what happened, hope you get your car fixed soon.

Last edited by physman; 02-15-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Rookieracer

I'm a dog owner/lover, in fact my Lab was the ring bearer at my wedding. My dogs are an integral part of my family just slightly less important than my kids.

I guess this makes me even less tolerant of people who don't take proper care of their pets. I would ask around the neighborhood to see if the dog being loose was a regular occurrence. If so, hand the owner the bill for the repairs to your car. If this is the first time then offer your condolences to the owner.

On edit:
Sorry about your Vette.
Wonder how many of you would be saying this if someone's kid got loose and got ran over and killed.

You bet buddy, hand the owner of that kid the bill for a car.

I understand it's not the owner of the car's fault, maybe, be jeebus. I also have a dog and have had dogs and sometimes they just escape through no fault of the owner.

As far as the car, you need to get it up in the air and thoroughly check it out.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

totally proves the guys point....! you assume that he will get the car out! I agree that is what insurance is for... I would save my Dog... Shocking!! i know! For the record, i do not have a dog... BUT, i ate some while in Afghanistan! Tastes really good with some onion,Curry, spices....

Originally Posted by lxconv331
Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
lxconv331
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by physman
People,

Most of people posting are missing the point of this post. The point is not the dog. This is the corvette forum, it is all about finding information from other people how to take care of our cars, make them better, and how to fix them when something goes wrong. The guy was not being insensitive about killing a dog, that it is over and done with and can not be changed. What can be changed is what he asked for, what could be wrong with his car and what to check for. It is about his safety now and protecting his car.

No offense, because I am a cat owner and I would feel bad no matter what animal I hit, domestic or not. The point is we have to realize what forum we are on and focus on what the person posting is asking for and not get off on tangents that can not be changed.

Like they say, "If you can not say anything constructive, move the next post."

I am done raving.

P.S. Sorry for what happened, how you get your car fixed soon.
Get under the car & look for damage, take it to a body shop, use common sense its not hard! If you need to ask people what to look for maybe you shouldn't own a car! The underside of a Vette is pretty sound it isn't like he put in a ditch or ran over concrete block!!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm another that believes that this is the CORVETTE FORUM,,not the dog lovers forum. We have a good size house with 2 dogs,and 2 cats,,all rescues. I love animals and pets in general and have hit an animal or two over the years. I think EVERYONE feels bad when it happens,,but bottom line they are animals not humans,,and I'm sure that most members think of their vette with almost the same status as a pet!
In light of the fact that this a Corvette forum,,I full well understand that this would be his concern HERE. The best advise,,get it up on a lift and give it a good inspection,,and good luck!! I'm sure it was a traumatic experience.There could have been serious consequences for anyone around. Other traffic,pedestrians and the OP himself. Bottom line, wether someones pet or a stray(no one even thought of that) an animal is not worth a persons injury or death!

Last edited by itzza427; 02-15-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

very sad, indeed
good luck with repair

Get notified of new replies

To Hit a Freaking Dog Today

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Beautiful !

Originally Posted by reath1
Wow! I am as much of a dog lover as anyone. We have 5 in fact, but if one of ours ran out in front of any car, much less a vette, I would expect the drivers LAST worry would be my dog. Absolutely no excuse for someone's pet to be loose.

I am pretty sure that a vette vs. one of our dogs would be complete and total carnage to both at any speed over 20 MPH. I would think the driver would probably have the big guy or gal in his lap.

Had a 175 pound Great Dane and would only let him off leash on the farm.--never near traffic. Hitting him would likely have done more damage than a deer.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
GP777
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13

Wow! 3 pages of posts and about 10% relative to my question. For those who provided answer to my question, thank you. For the flamers who read things into my original post that were not there and made illogical leaps so they could post some ignorant comment-keep going and enjoy yourselves, you obviously have nothing better to do.

I will say this. I have lost a couple of pets in my lifetime and it was indeed sad times, but I've also held someone in my hands while they died and I can tell you its not the same as losing a dog. If you equate a dead dog to a human life, I feel sorry for you.

I'm done with this post.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

GP....I think most of the exposed components under your car are pretty stout and most likely not damaged. If any of the wires to your brakes for the ABS were broken, your DIC would be telling you most likely.

Unfortunately, the only real way to tell is get under there and look. Might not be pleasant but probably necessary for peace of mind at least.

And I got ya'll beat (maybe). Years ago while driving my family to DizzyLand we were in N California and a huge black bear ran down off the bank into the path of our mini-van. It rolled off and ran away but I had to use other doors to get behind the wheel for the rest of the trip. And had to tape on a new headlight assembly until the fix. Funniest part was the people behind us in a Volvo.....after we finally were able to stop, they came up and asked us if we had a flat tire!! They didn't see the big-arsed bear roll off our car!!

Quick Reply: Hit a Freaking Dog Today